Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#1221 OFFLINE   brad2388

brad2388

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Thats wild it looks like they would have a set price all around the board on these things. I guess it all works out for them some people get em free and some people pay more i guess it balances out in the end.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1222 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Aren't they offering it for free to new subscribers, including Whole Home DVR installation and multiple rooms?

There's no way I'm going to pay even $99 for leased equipment. I'd rather spend several times that to buy the equipment and apply that money towards the purchase.

If I can find good promo pricing on Comcast, I'd rather take that. Yes the picture quality and number of HBO channels may not be the same but I'd rather go with Tivo or a WMC HTPC. I'd get a big upgrade in Internet speeds over U-Verse data at least.

I may or may not come out ahead on the bottom line but if they are going to charge longtime customers while giving it away to new subscribers, I might as well leave, at least for a year or two. Then when the promo deal on another service runs out, I could get back on D* if they offer a promo deal.

I tried to get the HR34 earlier this year and they were offering a couple of hundred dollars. Went back and forth a couple of times and they wouldn't budge, even though people here and elsewhere were reporting free equipment and installation and even programming credits on top. When you mention that to them, they say I'm lying or the people on the forums are lying.

I haven't called retention. When I call to cancel, I will probably cancel.

#1223 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Aren't they offering it for free to new subscribers, including Whole Home DVR installation and multiple rooms?

Yes. Or close to it: all my stuff cost $20 to obtain and have installed back in October.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#1224 OFFLINE   rgswff2

rgswff2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

I just got the genie and the install for $0 along with $25 off a month for 12 months.

Am I better off keeping the HR20s I have for the other TVs or get the C31 for the TVs to connect to the genie? I don't really have a need for more than 5 tuners. Also, I don't currently have a SWM switch. Do I need that? The CSR on the phone said I didn't but from reading this forum, it looks like I do. Can that work with my current dish or will it require a new dish also?

#1225 OFFLINE   Bill Van

Bill Van

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Va.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

I personally love having the extra tuners (9 total) and even more the extra terabyte of storage with my HR34 Genie + 2 HR 24's. Managing the 5 Olympics channels recordings with all my others would have been a challenge. More tuners and storage, what's not to like?

#1226 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,555 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

I just got the genie and the install for $0 along with $25 off a month for 12 months.

Am I better off keeping the HR20s I have for the other TVs or get the C31 for the TVs to connect to the genie? I don't really have a need for more than 5 tuners. Also, I don't currently have a SWM switch. Do I need that? The CSR on the phone said I didn't but from reading this forum, it looks like I do. Can that work with my current dish or will it require a new dish also?

SWM is required. If you keep your HR20's, they will keep your current dish and LNBs, and install a SWM16. If you get C31s, and have only the HR34, they'll swap out the LNB.

Keep in mind, if you watch live TV on a C31, each one takes a tuner from the HR34. If they are off or watching something recorded, they don't take a tuner.

#1227 OFFLINE   brad2388

brad2388

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Def keep the hr20 it dont cost anymore a month to keep it plus the c31 takes away a tuner.

#1228 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Def keep the hr20 it dont cost anymore a month to keep it plus the c31 takes away a tuner.

It doesn't take one away. It uses one for live TV, if your watching live TV, but that's it. It's not permanently attached to the c31. Just making sure what happening is clear.

#1229 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

So I didn't really push for the HR34 last year, when Direct TV didn't offer me deals like the ones reported here and elsewhere. I didn't threaten to cancel or anything.

I was going to entertain moving to Comcast, signing a cheap deal. A co-worker said he keeps calling to cancel and they renew his introductory pricing there. Even if that didn't happen, I figured I'd come out ahead. Plus, the data should be much better than the U-Verse data I have now.

But the Ceton DVR turned out to be vaporware and so did the Tivo extender. Even if I got those products, I'd need some kind of networking.

So I may re-up with D* if I can get the HR34 for no upfront fees and WholeHome and MoCA installed.

However, my question is, after the 2-year contract, would I be able to use that MoCA wiring for cable DVRs?

Way my townhouse is set up, there's really no way to run cable directly between the living room and bedroom. Currently, there are separate runs of RG-6 that D* installed from those two rooms going to the multiswitch outside.

So presumably the MoCA box would replace the multiswitch and MoCA would work through those RG-6 cable runs?

Would I be able to use this setup with other DVRs besides D* some time down the line?

#1230 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

So I didn't really push for the HR34 last year, when Direct TV didn't offer me deals like the ones reported here and elsewhere. I didn't threaten to cancel or anything.

I was going to entertain moving to Comcast, signing a cheap deal. A co-worker said he keeps calling to cancel and they renew his introductory pricing there. Even if that didn't happen, I figured I'd come out ahead. Plus, the data should be much better than the U-Verse data I have now.

But the Ceton DVR turned out to be vaporware and so did the Tivo extender. Even if I got those products, I'd need some kind of networking.

So I may re-up with D* if I can get the HR34 for no upfront fees and WholeHome and MoCA installed.

However, my question is, after the 2-year contract, would I be able to use that MoCA wiring for cable DVRs?

Way my townhouse is set up, there's really no way to run cable directly between the living room and bedroom. Currently, there are separate runs of RG-6 that D* installed from those two rooms going to the multiswitch outside.

So presumably the MoCA box would replace the multiswitch and MoCA would work through those RG-6 cable runs?

Would I be able to use this setup with other DVRs besides D* some time down the line?

Why would you ever go to cable? :)

There is no moca box. The equipment used in your setup, lnb or multi switch and the DVR and other recivers will all have a " deca/moca". (Extreme simplification ) built in or an adapter if you have an older DVR your also keeping. Then dtv simply uses the coax forte sat an network signals. Very complex stuff on there end but not much to plug in on our end. :)

#1231 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Faster data and promo pricing.

Ok looked around and realized that D* is using DECA, not MoCA.

So I'm guessing the SWiMs that they'd install would not work with DVRs and client boxes like extenders which are not for playing D* content.

#1232 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Ok looked around and realized that D* is using DECA, not MoCA.

So I'm guessing the SWiMs that they'd install would not work with DVRs and client boxes like extenders which are not for playing D* content.

DECA is MoCA, just DirecTV's flavor of it. Others have been able to hook up non-DirecTV devices to the DECA boxes and use them without issue. Search around you'll find many posts about it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#1233 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm getting ready to move one of my DVRs to another room soon and will have to call to have that done. While I'm at it, I may see about getting a Genie. So I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me out with.

I have a HR23 and a HR20 (the 20 is the one that will be moved). If I go with the Genie, will one of those be replaced?

Does the system need to be set up through my home network? I currently have my 23 connected to it.

Are there any additional charges to my current bill to use the Genie? That's one of Comcast's pitches to keep people away from it.

I only have two TVs that will be connected. Is it worth it to get a Genie or just do the whole-home network thing?

#1234 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

I have a HR23 and a HR20 (the 20 is the one that will be moved). If I go with the Genie, will one of those be replaced?

If that's what you want, then yes.

Does the system need to be set up through my home network? I currently have my 23 connected to it.

If you want multi-room viewing (which it appears that you do based on your last question), then yes.

Are there any additional charges to my current bill to use the Genie? That's one of Comcast's pitches to keep people away from it.

It's $3 per month for multi-room viewing regardless of whether you have the Genie or not.

I only have two TVs that will be connected. Is it worth it to get a Genie or just do the whole-home network thing?

Do you ever need more than 4 tuners? If 4 tuners is enough (but 2 isn't) would you prefer to do the majority of your recording on one DVR, rather than having to handle conflicts across multiple boxes? Is Picture-in-Picture important to you?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then it may be worth it for you to get the Genie.

#1235 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Well if you have to sign a 2 year contract, you might as well update one of your DVRs.

I have a HR20 as well, so that thing is like 7 years old with only 250 GB of storage.

Genie has 2 TB plus you would expect faster processors with the potential to have faster menus. More series recording capacity too.

Now, HR44 is suppose to be due soon too.

#1236 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think I'm near the end of a 2-year run to replace a DVR that dropped dead on me. I'm going to call them shortly to see what I can get, if anything.

#1237 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Well if you have to sign a 2 year contract, you might as well update one of your DVRs.

I have a HR20 as well, so that thing is like 7 years old with only 250 GB of storage.

Genie has 2 TB plus you would expect faster processors with the potential to have faster menus. More series recording capacity too.

Now, HR44 is suppose to be due soon too.

That is not true. It has 1 TB.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#1238 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm not out of my contract yet, so all they would offer me on a Genie is $299. I'll have to wait on that.

#1239 OFFLINE   jchanson

jchanson

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Even off contract that's all they are offering right now.... At least it was as of right before New Years.

#1240 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Even off contract that's all they are offering right now.... At least it was as of right before New Years.

Umm no, remember the deal you get is often up to the rep. It also used to be scored on a points system that was in part based on your time with D*/Amount of monthly bill/Payment promptness.

Our bill was running right around $98/mo for 3 dvr and programming. We were out of contract, I emailed D* and asked what DVR's we had that were owned(answer should have been 2), the email contact told me they couldn't answer that Q over email. The next day the calls started coming, because I set off a flag somewhere that indicated to them I may be wanting to leave and they had no contract to hold me down. Being a 9 year customer they wanted to keep me. Our account is in my wife's name so they finally managed to catch us at home one day and spoke with the wife. They offered the Genie at $299 and $49 install and wife said no, that was way too expensive. The rep waived the $299. We hummed and hawed and said well I guess, but would rather not pay for the install. The rep knocked the install down to $29 and asked if that was ok, wife said, I'd rather pay zero but..... The rep said ok, I will waive the install fee.

So $0. Netted us the HR34, moving our HR22 to another room, they took the R16 from that room. Whole home install including DECA for the HR20 and HR22. In addition I got a new LNB, SWiM16 and BB DECA unit. Now granted the installer had issues, the first day the SWiM16 he brought was defective so my install was botched from the even of the 31st of Dec till the morning of the 2nd.

I probably could have scored some extras with the letter I sent to e.filipiak's office over the install issues but I didn't even talk with the rep who called, it wasn't about getting anything free at that point, just wanted them to know their installer did the best he could with their poor holiday inventory management.

So $0 is possible when out of contract, it just depends on several factors how friendly the rep is, your calm patient but 'i don't care' tone, and how badly they fear your leaving.

Initial contact by me dec 21st, they reached us by phone dec 28th, first day install dec 31st, install finished jan 2nd.

Edited by rahlquist, 08 January 2013 - 09:45 AM.
time frame added

Protected By... spam firewall...And...