Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Glenee

Glenee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

If you already have a SWM setup, then bringing the HR34 to it is quite simple, especially if it is replacing one of your current boxes.

Yes Sir all is correct. I just wanted a fellow forum member to know that if he didn't have SWM system now, it is Not plug and Play.
Once I Started Doing what I Liked, I Liked Everything Better.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Odys

Odys

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Has anybody been able to obtain one for $150 or less without going the retention route? I don't want to threaten to quit when I have no plans on doing so if I don't get what I want. I just want one because it's the only way to be guaranteed a faster receiver than my current HR20 if I trade it in.

I got it for $99 with a regular csr, no retention. I was prepared to decline an unacceptable offer and call back, but I got lucky.

#123 OFFLINE   cochransr

cochransr

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

I got an offer in the mail that said because I was a loyal customer since 1996 I could get the whole-home dvr upgrade for free including installation. Sad thing is, I don't need it. That's probably why I got the offer.

#124 OFFLINE   Bevostein

Bevostein

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

I bought an HR34 for $399 from USADigital for my system back in early January. Called today and got retention. Moaned and groaned about existing customers getting $300 credits. After working it for a while, I got an immediate $200 credit to my bill and $10 off for the next 12 months. Very happy.

Not including tax on some items and shipping on the HR34, over the last 6 weeks I'm out roughly $203 (when you factor in the credits) but I managed to:

Add an HR24 with install - $99 plus tax
Moved to supported MRV - $25 plus tax

My real motivation in adding the HR24 with supported MRV was to push me over 8 tuners so I got a SWM16 (which I needed for the HR34) installed as part of adding those to my system - FREE

Bought an HR34 - $399 plus shipping but no tax
Negotiated credits after the fact - ($320)

:goodjob:

I will say it is such a game and tiring to have to go thru the CSR/retention roulette. I wish they would just make it easier. Its like buying a car.

#125 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

I ordered one yesterday to replace a DVR-80, Install scheduled for today between noon and 4 PM. Lets see.

#126 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

My real motivation in adding the HR24 with supported MRV was to push me over 8 tuners so I got a SWM16...

Oh! thanks for reminding me to make sure the installer has a SWM 16 on the truck when he comes on Sunday...
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#127 OFFLINE   jayerndl

jayerndl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

I curently have (2) HR20s with no SWM and just placed an order for an addtional HR34. When I look at the order it lists "MRV Install - Free". It also shows at the bottom "Professional Installation $49.00" (there is also a $49 credit to offset this). Does this include everything I need for the installation (i.e. SWM-16 + other misc. stuff)? Thanks.

Jay

#128 OFFLINE   Bevostein

Bevostein

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yes they know what is on your account and whether you need a SWM8, SWM16, etc. My experience was the tech had everything he needed

#129 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

I got an offer in the mail that said because I was a loyal customer since 1996 I could get the whole-home dvr upgrade for free including installation. Sad thing is, I don't need it. That's probably why I got the offer.

That doesn't actually mean an HR34. That's Whole home service using an HR20-24.

#130 OFFLINE   jayerndl

jayerndl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yes they know what is on your account and whether you need a SWM8, SWM16, etc. My experience was the tech had everything he needed

They seemd to think I already had SWM installed becuase they saw on my bill that I had "DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service Monthly 3.00". I tried to tell them that this was the unsupported Whole-home on ethernet and that I did not have SWM but they didn't seem to understand. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Jay

#131 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Well I tried again today not really expecting to get any deal since I'm still in the first year with D*. And same as yesterday, they won't budge. So I guess it will be no HR34 for me, or at least not anytime soon.

If I was willing to pay $399 I wouldn't order it through D* anyway. Buying from an online retailer is $399, no shipping, no tax, no install, and no upgrade fee. Makes it about $100 cheaper than going through D*.

But I'm not willing to pay $399 because I don't believe it is worth that.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#132 ONLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

It looks like my route might be to just buy through a 3rd party like Solid Signal, install it myself and then call DirecTV to activate and ask for some possible credit since I've been with DirecTV since 1996 and haven't asked for any credit before. Anybody go this route yet? I'm much more interested in installing it myself than getting any credits at this point.

Installation is essentially plug-n-play since I already have DECA, Whole-Home, and a SWM16 with enough free channels - after I remove 2 HRs for the HR34.

#133 OFFLINE   Bevostein

Bevostein

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

They seemd to think I already had SWM installed becuase they saw on my bill that I had "DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service Monthly 3.00". I tried to tell them that this was the unsupported Whole-home on ethernet and that I did not have SWM but they didn't seem to understand. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Jay

Since you only have 4 tuners and MRV right now they probably think you have a SWM8 or and LNB with SWM built in. Regardless of MRV, going to 9 tuners will bump you to a SWM16 and they should roll with one on the truck

#134 OFFLINE   Caromsoft

Caromsoft

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

It looks like my route might be to just buy through a 3rd party like Solid Signal, install it myself and then call DirecTV to activate and ask for some possible credit since I've been with DirecTV since 1996 and haven't asked for any credit before. Anybody go this route yet? I'm much more interested in installing it myself than getting any credits at this point.

I did. Ordered from Solid Signal, installed it myself, activated it. I wasn't expecting any credits so I didn't ask for any even though I have been with DirecTV since 2001 and have never asked them for anything. I did ask about the 24 month free HD with autopay, and was told the program ended 3 days before I called :eek2:

At that point I got a bit upset, telling them I bought (leased) the HR34 with my own money to replace a dying DirecTivo. Was offered $10 off for 6 months. Of course now I know that the 24 month program has NOT ended. So the CSR I spoke with was either horribly misinformed about the programs at the company that employs him, or he flat out lied to me. Which is worse? I guess after 6 months I will call back up and play CSR roulette, hoping not to end up on the bullet end this time. :mad:

The analogy to dealing with DirecTV on this kind of stuff and buying a car is pretty spot on. You get whatever deal the sales manager wants to give you, probably depending on what he/she had for lunch. DirecTV might want to remember that car salesman is one of the most hated occupations in America.

#135 OFFLINE   Deftones

Deftones

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

I wish there were a way to transfer content from one DVR to another. I'd upgrade to this, but I have a ton of content saved that I either want to keep or haven't watched yet. Maybe I will in the summer when there isn't as much TV on.

#136 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Is there anyway other than crawling under my house to know whether or not I've got a SWM8 or a SWM16 installed? I looked under System Info. and I see the dish is listed as a Slimeline-3S (SWM) but nothing on the switch. I suppose they'd know when I call but I still like to have my ducks in a row so I get everything that's needed. I'd be replacing the older HR21 with the 34 so I'd have two receivers, HR24 and the HR34 in my set up. I'd need the SWM16 correct?

#137 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'd be replacing the older HR21 with the 34 so I'd have two receivers, HR24 and the HR34 in my set up. I'd need the SWM16 correct?

No, you will end up with just 7 tuners (2 in the HR24 and 5 in the HR34). Your SWM dish can already support up to 8 tuners.

- LoopinFool

#138 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

No, you will end up with just 7 tuners (2 in the HR24 and 5 in the HR34). Your SWM dish can already support up to 8 tuners.

- LoopinFool

So the tuners in the two receivers don't count in the total?

#139 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

@caromsoft...that program really has ended but there are other offers available based on your account history
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#140 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

So the tuners in the two receivers don't count in the total?

Assuming you mean the H24-700 and H23-600 when you say two receivers, then they would count toward the tuner total, bringing you to 9. Generally a SWiM-16 is not installed unless there are over 8 tuners in the system, so you probably do not have one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...