Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,526 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Just yanking the collective chain.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Installer left a little bit ago. Installed the HR-34, relocated my old HR-22 to another room where there was an old SD Tivo DTV box, installed the CCK, and then set up the whole home DVR. Funny thing is, I only paid $99 for the HR-34 and $99 for the CCK, no install fees, didn't pay for the Whole Home DVR (I do know that I will now have to pay the extra $3/mo for it). Awesome job by the installer!

Man lucky. I wonder if I should just order and not mention the Whole Home DVR install. Would the installer just include it in his installation? Only thing is the rep said he was saving my offer in their system.

#153 OFFLINE   paragoat

paragoat

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Not doubting what you heard, wondering if the CSR was being accurate.
Word is that no shipments whatsoever, only professional installations that seems to be all over the place in this thread.

And Free isn't in their vocabularly for this.

Might be interesting to call back and see if you can get that really ordered for $20 and shipped.

Defiantly worth an additional call back. Today I got another CSR (not retention) that gave me the $300 discount to $99. I need the SWM16 so I not get out of the $49 installation fee and yes they got me for another 2 years!

Confirming NO DIRECT SHIPMENTS of these boxes, the CSR told me that it has to be installed by a professional installer.

#154 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,171 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Quick question about getting one installed. Do i need 5 wires coming into the house? Or a single wire like it does now? I have the SWiM at the dish. Would I need a new SWiM?

thanks

It uses SWM. Sounds like you have a SWM LNB at the dish. If adding the HR34 will take you over 8 tuners, you'll need to swap out the LNB for a regular one and get a SWM16.

#155 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Is there anyway other than crawling under my house to know whether or not I've got a SWM8 or a SWM16 installed? I looked under System Info. and I see the dish is listed as a Slimeline-3S (SWM) but nothing on the switch. I suppose they'd know when I call but I still like to have my ducks in a row so I get everything that's needed. I'd be replacing the older HR21 with the 34 so I'd have two receivers, HR24 and the HR34 in my set up. I'd need the SWM16 correct?

Overwhelming odds are you do not have a SWM16. They rarely (never?) installed one when not needed.

If you look at your dish, can you tell how many wires are even connected currently? If you have the SWM LNB -- which an awful lot of SWM installs have -- you actually have only one connected wire right now and effectively a built-in SWM 8. The thing under your house is just an 8-way splitter, not a SWM switch at all.

Here's the good news, though. An HR24 uses 2 tuners, an HR34 uses 5, that's a total of 7. You have no need for a SWM16. My explanation above was really so that others looking at this might benefit. You should be fine either way.

#156 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Man lucky. I wonder if I should just order and not mention the Whole Home DVR install. Would the installer just include it in his installation? Only thing is the rep said he was saving my offer in their system.

Not sure. The installer knew my kids from high school so he may have just done it as a favor. He did say that the only difference was him activating it. That once the HMC is installed with a CCK, there is no other labor involved for "install" of the Whole Home DVR. According to him, sounds like DTV rips people off with the $199 install price for Whole Home.

#157 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

"How will playing cards help?"

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,264 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Here's the good news, though. An HR24 uses 2 tuners, an HR34 uses 5, that's a total of 7. You have no need for a SWM16. My explanation above was really so that others looking at this might benefit. You should be fine either way.

Except he has two receivers and the HR24 and HR34, not two receivers that are the HR24 and HR34. Nine total tuners, therefore he needs a SWiM-16.

#158 OFFLINE   GtownDan

GtownDan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

I am nearly a 6 year DTV customer. Called to upgrade. The CSR wanted $547 for the upgrade ($399 + $49 install +$99 CCK). I told him my buddy got the HR34 at a discount of $300. He told me that "from orders high up" they have been told that they cannot offer any discount on this new piece of equipment. I said I know 2 people who received a discount, to which he said that is simply impossible. The next words out of my mouth were "can I speak to someone in retention."

So after getting transferred, I was offered $200 off the HR34. It was still $347. I told him no, I was not interested for that price. He then said that he could waive the install fee, so now it's down to $298, for which I said yes. I need an SWM upgrade and all that jazz, so I am OK with it.

I scratch my head at all these games. Consistency would be nice, but persist-ency pays back. It would still be better to pay the same price as the next guy, but I'm not a strong enough negotiator to haggle over the last $50. Maybe I should call back?
G-TownDan
HR34 (Pending)
HR20-100 ver. 0x59e
H20-600 ver. 0x404A

#159 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Im waiting until things settle down, and then I am going to call to see if I can get an SWM16 and SL3 from them, so all 9 of my tuners work :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#160 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

According to him, sounds like DTV rips people off with the $199 install price for Whole Home.

I guess that would depend on each case and the equipment they need. When I had mine done 6 months ago, the $199 included swapping out two old TIVO DVRs with R16s, installing a SWiM16 (I think that alone lists for over $200), DECAs for four units and the CCK. I didn't need any wiring done, but some might need that.

#161 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

I just don't get all the entitlement everyone feels they should have...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#162 OFFLINE   Bevostein

Bevostein

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

I don't view it as an entitlement attitude so much as a desire for consistency. I, and I suspect the majority of customers, don't want to be paying full fare when they hear of others getting a discount. If DTV would be clear about what the qualifying factors were for a discount and apply them consistently then you wouldn't get all the haggling. People could make a straight up decision and move on. I could stomach being told no discount if I knew everyone is getting told no discount.

#163 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

If anyone has ever worked in customer service in this country, it is beyond overwhelming to hear the sense of entitlement these people have. Like paying their bill on time should allow them get discounts or credits, why does anyone have to GIVE you something because you pay your bill for services you WANT?? This country is ridiculous!!

#164 OFFLINE   jayerndl

jayerndl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

I just don't get all the entitlement everyone feels they should have...

I think it's Directv's policy (or lack there of) that fuels this entitlement. You don't see this with your local power company. People don't fell like there entitled to a discount from their power company because nobody gets one. Conversely people do feel like their entitled to a discount from Directv because they see other people getting them.

Jay

#165 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Im waiting until things settle down, and then I am going to call to see if I can get an SWM16 and SL3 from them, so all 9 of my tuners work :)

I had a service call with Case Management that was handled a month ago. They replaced two HR20's with HR24's (one owned and one leased w/protection plan). While the guy was here he broke out a CCK and I said I am not paying for that. I didnt even have a need for it. I dont have whole home and I dont want it. He said it was free and hooked it up anyways. I already have a SWM 16 because I have 5 HD DVR's and do not plan to deactivate one when the HR34 gets installed on Monday. However there is a good chance the installer will have to go back under the house and change around the way the splitters are currently. Currently one line runs to another splitter for 4 total tuners. Im not really happy with that. I may insist they run another dedicated line for the 2nd box down stairs.

When I called for my order of course they gave me some crap about my LNB. I said I have a SL5 and a SWM 16, I only plan to have the HR34 at one tv and I have the tuners available. They still thought I would have to have my LNB replaced. I dont know how they could think that. I said there are 4 lines coming off it going under my house to the SWM 16 already. Since I am eligable for a free HD DVR I thought about throwing that on as well but I knew that would push me to 17 tuners and i was not sure I would get a SWM 32 for free. Wasnt willing to find out considering 6 DVR's will cover me just fine and dandy. It did make me wonder if I could get a SWM 32 for free though.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, HR20-700 Owned (Not Active), R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#166 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

...It did make me wonder if I could get a SWM 32 for free though...

You would not get a SWM32 (they're commercial use only, and don't pass DECA between each leg.) The correct setup would be two SWM16's.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#167 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I wonder if any plans are in the works for a 16 channel LNB to replace the SL3S rather than having to go backwards to an SL3 with SWM16.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#168 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

You would not get a SWM32 (they're commercial use only, and don't pass DECA between each leg.) The correct setup would be two SWM16's.

Not sure what that means but if its used for Whole Home I dont have it, need it or want it.

HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, HR20-700 Owned (Not Active), R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#169 OFFLINE   jmhays

jmhays

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

I have been a DirecTV customer since the HD DirecTivo came out back in 2000 (and paid $1,000 for the first one). I ham still using them now but since one just died and the new Tivo version that DirecTV is selling is so stripped down from what it "could" be, I am holding my nose and taking the plunge with the new HR-34.

I called retention and said "cancel" twice at the IVR prompts, plaid dumb the first time, but the rep was MUCH better at it than I was (playing dumb that is) and I was getting nowhere when he transfered the call and (as usual) the call was dropped.

I called back, repeated and got back to retention. I mentioned that I was looking at the new HD Tivo because it has four tuners. He took the bait and started to talk about the new DirecTV DVR that worked "on 5 TVs".

I was able to get the HR-34 plus 3 other DVRs ("Now these will be the HR-24s, right?" "Absolutely!" he says, I'll hold my breathe and keep my fingers crossed), plus the CCK plus the new dish and the Whole Home Service for $199 plus tax.

I have not used the latest version of the DirecTV HD DVR so I am hoping it is better than the first one they had. That was horrible and I returned it in less than a week. I am moving from 11 year old HD Tivos to the new DirecTV HD DVR so I am hoping it will be an improvement.

#170 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

Not sure what that means but if its used for Whole Home I dont have it, need it or want it.

DECA is how the receivers communicate with each other, your LAN, internet, etc; (Tv Apps, Media Share, On-Demand, Pandora, YouTube...) You may not want it, but there's a reason that CCK was installed ;) You have information that D* wants, and DECA helps them get it.

In any case you can't get a SWM32 unless you install it yourself.

#171 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

DECA is how the receivers communicate with each other, your LAN, internet, etc; (Tv Apps, Media Share, Pandora, YouTube...) You may not want it, but there's a reason that CCK was installed ;)

In any case you can't get a SWM32 unless you install it yourself.

The CCK was installed a month ago. I just ordered the HR34 yesterday. I did tell the installer a month ago I was going to get one. Maybe he was saving me some hassle but I not intend on ever having Whole Home.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#172 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

The CCK was installed a month ago. I just ordered the HR34 yesterday. I did tell the installer a month ago I was going to get one. Maybe he was saving me some hassle but I not intend on ever having Whole Home.

The CCK has little to do with Whole Home or the HR34. It's something D* is pushing for all setups.

#173 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

People don't fell like there entitled to a discount from their power company because nobody gets one.

I get a discount from my power company :)
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#174 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

Except he has two receivers and the HR24 and HR34, not two receivers that are the HR24 and HR34. Nine total tuners, therefore he needs a SWiM-16.

Your grammar > my grammar. Agreed with your take.

#175 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

This is the age of entitlement, and it’s spreading like the plague. The worse ones are the 25 and under group, why should the work for it? They are entitled to it because they exist. That being said when I ordered my HR34 Thursday morning and was told the price of $399. I told them that DTV offered me a HR24 in December to replace a DVR80 that was failing at no cost. I asked for a HR34 instead. The CSR said that because I was a subscriber since 1999 I could get the HR34 for $199 once it became in my area. To which I agreed to wait for. The installer showed up just before 1 PM local time and had to install something on the dish and align it. SWM 16 in the basement was installed but he tried to get away with using only one 8-way splitter. We have three HR24’s, one HR23, one H21, one H23, one H24 and now one HR34 for a total of 16 tuners on the SWM side of things and one DVR10 connected directly to two legacy ports on the SWM 16. DECA boxes had to be installed at 3 locations. At first he tried the install with one splitter and most of the receivers were not receiving a signal. He did admit his mistake and also that this was his first HR34 install. I figured what the heck, we all have to do our first something at various times in life so it ended up being a good learning experience for both of us. The only draw back to the 5 hour install was that he did not program the remote for the TV and it wasn’t an RF remote. They are sending someone back to replace the remote.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...