Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

@David

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. I guess it makes sense for them not to install anymore than you need. Thanks for the info!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

So the tuners in the two receivers don't count in the total?

Whoops, I missed that part -- just saw the model numbers of the DVRs.

It sounds like you're right. You'll go to 9 tuners and will need a SWM16. My knowledge is limited, but I believe installing that will require running more lines from the dish, adding the SWM16, etc.

- LoopinFool

#143 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

I wish there were a way to transfer content from one DVR to another. I'd upgrade to this, but I have a ton of content saved that I either want to keep or haven't watched yet. Maybe I will in the summer when there isn't as much TV on.

Get Whole Home DVR...that will allow you to watch the shows on the box you currently have from another room.

#144 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Installer left a little bit ago. Installed the HR-34, relocated my old HR-22 to another room where there was an old SD Tivo DTV box, installed the CCK, and then set up the whole home DVR. Funny thing is, I only paid $99 for the HR-34 and $99 for the CCK, no install fees, didn't pay for the Whole Home DVR (I do know that I will now have to pay the extra $3/mo for it). Awesome job by the installer!

#145 OFFLINE   Deftones

Deftones

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Get Whole Home DVR...that will allow you to watch the shows on the box you currently have from another room.

I understand that, but I only have 2 DVRs in my home b/c I only have 2 tvs. My other bedroom DVR is completely filled up with content, too. Different content. The only way I could see this working is to run another line to may family room where the HR34 would be located, just so I can finish off the rest of the content on there, but that seems a bit of a waste.

#146 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

Decided to call just to see what the offer was.

After just a couple of minutes, the CSR offered me the HR34 for FREE and since I already had everything I needed, she could get it shipped to me for just a $20 shipping fee.

So, $20 total.

But, I already have an HR34 and don't really need another one, so I said no thanks.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#147 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

After just a couple of minutes, the CSR offered me the HR34 for FREE and since I already had everything I needed, she could get it shipped to me for just a $20 shipping fee.

So, $20 total.

But, I already have an HR34 and don't really need another one, so I said no thanks.

Seriously? Sounds a bit far fetched to me....but I guess stranger things have happened.

#148 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

So, $20 total.

You could have sent it to me! ;)

Just kidding... :D

~Alan

#149 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,999 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

So, $20 total.

Not doubting what you heard, wondering if the CSR was being accurate.
Word is that no shipments whatsoever, only professional installations that seems to be all over the place in this thread.

And Free isn't in their vocabularly for this.

Might be interesting to call back and see if you can get that really ordered for $20 and shipped.

#150 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Quick question about getting one installed. Do i need 5 wires coming into the house? Or a single wire like it does now? I have the SWiM at the dish. Would I need a new SWiM?

thanks

#151 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Just yanking the collective chain.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#152 OFFLINE   Doom878

Doom878

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Installer left a little bit ago. Installed the HR-34, relocated my old HR-22 to another room where there was an old SD Tivo DTV box, installed the CCK, and then set up the whole home DVR. Funny thing is, I only paid $99 for the HR-34 and $99 for the CCK, no install fees, didn't pay for the Whole Home DVR (I do know that I will now have to pay the extra $3/mo for it). Awesome job by the installer!

Man lucky. I wonder if I should just order and not mention the Whole Home DVR install. Would the installer just include it in his installation? Only thing is the rep said he was saving my offer in their system.

#153 OFFLINE   paragoat

paragoat

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Not doubting what you heard, wondering if the CSR was being accurate.
Word is that no shipments whatsoever, only professional installations that seems to be all over the place in this thread.

And Free isn't in their vocabularly for this.

Might be interesting to call back and see if you can get that really ordered for $20 and shipped.

Defiantly worth an additional call back. Today I got another CSR (not retention) that gave me the $300 discount to $99. I need the SWM16 so I not get out of the $49 installation fee and yes they got me for another 2 years!

Confirming NO DIRECT SHIPMENTS of these boxes, the CSR told me that it has to be installed by a professional installer.

#154 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Quick question about getting one installed. Do i need 5 wires coming into the house? Or a single wire like it does now? I have the SWiM at the dish. Would I need a new SWiM?

thanks

It uses SWM. Sounds like you have a SWM LNB at the dish. If adding the HR34 will take you over 8 tuners, you'll need to swap out the LNB for a regular one and get a SWM16.

#155 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Is there anyway other than crawling under my house to know whether or not I've got a SWM8 or a SWM16 installed? I looked under System Info. and I see the dish is listed as a Slimeline-3S (SWM) but nothing on the switch. I suppose they'd know when I call but I still like to have my ducks in a row so I get everything that's needed. I'd be replacing the older HR21 with the 34 so I'd have two receivers, HR24 and the HR34 in my set up. I'd need the SWM16 correct?

Overwhelming odds are you do not have a SWM16. They rarely (never?) installed one when not needed.

If you look at your dish, can you tell how many wires are even connected currently? If you have the SWM LNB -- which an awful lot of SWM installs have -- you actually have only one connected wire right now and effectively a built-in SWM 8. The thing under your house is just an 8-way splitter, not a SWM switch at all.

Here's the good news, though. An HR24 uses 2 tuners, an HR34 uses 5, that's a total of 7. You have no need for a SWM16. My explanation above was really so that others looking at this might benefit. You should be fine either way.

#156 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Man lucky. I wonder if I should just order and not mention the Whole Home DVR install. Would the installer just include it in his installation? Only thing is the rep said he was saving my offer in their system.

Not sure. The installer knew my kids from high school so he may have just done it as a favor. He did say that the only difference was him activating it. That once the HMC is installed with a CCK, there is no other labor involved for "install" of the Whole Home DVR. According to him, sounds like DTV rips people off with the $199 install price for Whole Home.

#157 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Here's the good news, though. An HR24 uses 2 tuners, an HR34 uses 5, that's a total of 7. You have no need for a SWM16. My explanation above was really so that others looking at this might benefit. You should be fine either way.

Except he has two receivers and the HR24 and HR34, not two receivers that are the HR24 and HR34. Nine total tuners, therefore he needs a SWiM-16.

#158 OFFLINE   GtownDan

GtownDan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

I am nearly a 6 year DTV customer. Called to upgrade. The CSR wanted $547 for the upgrade ($399 + $49 install +$99 CCK). I told him my buddy got the HR34 at a discount of $300. He told me that "from orders high up" they have been told that they cannot offer any discount on this new piece of equipment. I said I know 2 people who received a discount, to which he said that is simply impossible. The next words out of my mouth were "can I speak to someone in retention."

So after getting transferred, I was offered $200 off the HR34. It was still $347. I told him no, I was not interested for that price. He then said that he could waive the install fee, so now it's down to $298, for which I said yes. I need an SWM upgrade and all that jazz, so I am OK with it.

I scratch my head at all these games. Consistency would be nice, but persist-ency pays back. It would still be better to pay the same price as the next guy, but I'm not a strong enough negotiator to haggle over the last $50. Maybe I should call back?
G-TownDan
HR34 (Pending)
HR20-100 ver. 0x59e
H20-600 ver. 0x404A

#159 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Im waiting until things settle down, and then I am going to call to see if I can get an SWM16 and SL3 from them, so all 9 of my tuners work :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#160 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

According to him, sounds like DTV rips people off with the $199 install price for Whole Home.

I guess that would depend on each case and the equipment they need. When I had mine done 6 months ago, the $199 included swapping out two old TIVO DVRs with R16s, installing a SWiM16 (I think that alone lists for over $200), DECAs for four units and the CCK. I didn't need any wiring done, but some might need that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...