Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Official: HR34 pricing as of 2/9/2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1280 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

I just don't get all the entitlement everyone feels they should have...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Bevostein

Bevostein

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

I don't view it as an entitlement attitude so much as a desire for consistency. I, and I suspect the majority of customers, don't want to be paying full fare when they hear of others getting a discount. If DTV would be clear about what the qualifying factors were for a discount and apply them consistently then you wouldn't get all the haggling. People could make a straight up decision and move on. I could stomach being told no discount if I knew everyone is getting told no discount.

#163 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

If anyone has ever worked in customer service in this country, it is beyond overwhelming to hear the sense of entitlement these people have. Like paying their bill on time should allow them get discounts or credits, why does anyone have to GIVE you something because you pay your bill for services you WANT?? This country is ridiculous!!

#164 OFFLINE   jayerndl

jayerndl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

I think it's Directv's policy (or lack there of) that fuels this entitlement. You don't see this with your local power company. People don't fell like there entitled to a discount from their power company because nobody gets one. Conversely people do feel like their entitled to a discount from Directv because they see other people getting them.

Jay

#165 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Im waiting until things settle down, and then I am going to call to see if I can get an SWM16 and SL3 from them, so all 9 of my tuners work :)

I had a service call with Case Management that was handled a month ago. They replaced two HR20's with HR24's (one owned and one leased w/protection plan). While the guy was here he broke out a CCK and I said I am not paying for that. I didnt even have a need for it. I dont have whole home and I dont want it. He said it was free and hooked it up anyways. I already have a SWM 16 because I have 5 HD DVR's and do not plan to deactivate one when the HR34 gets installed on Monday. However there is a good chance the installer will have to go back under the house and change around the way the splitters are currently. Currently one line runs to another splitter for 4 total tuners. Im not really happy with that. I may insist they run another dedicated line for the 2nd box down stairs.

When I called for my order of course they gave me some crap about my LNB. I said I have a SL5 and a SWM 16, I only plan to have the HR34 at one tv and I have the tuners available. They still thought I would have to have my LNB replaced. I dont know how they could think that. I said there are 4 lines coming off it going under my house to the SWM 16 already. Since I am eligable for a free HD DVR I thought about throwing that on as well but I knew that would push me to 17 tuners and i was not sure I would get a SWM 32 for free. Wasnt willing to find out considering 6 DVR's will cover me just fine and dandy. It did make me wonder if I could get a SWM 32 for free though.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#166 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

...It did make me wonder if I could get a SWM 32 for free though...

You would not get a SWM32 (they're commercial use only, and don't pass DECA between each leg.) The correct setup would be two SWM16's.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#167 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I wonder if any plans are in the works for a 16 channel LNB to replace the SL3S rather than having to go backwards to an SL3 with SWM16.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#168 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

You would not get a SWM32 (they're commercial use only, and don't pass DECA between each leg.) The correct setup would be two SWM16's.

Not sure what that means but if its used for Whole Home I dont have it, need it or want it.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#169 OFFLINE   jmhays

jmhays

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

I have been a DirecTV customer since the HD DirecTivo came out back in 2000 (and paid $1,000 for the first one). I ham still using them now but since one just died and the new Tivo version that DirecTV is selling is so stripped down from what it "could" be, I am holding my nose and taking the plunge with the new HR-34.

I called retention and said "cancel" twice at the IVR prompts, plaid dumb the first time, but the rep was MUCH better at it than I was (playing dumb that is) and I was getting nowhere when he transfered the call and (as usual) the call was dropped.

I called back, repeated and got back to retention. I mentioned that I was looking at the new HD Tivo because it has four tuners. He took the bait and started to talk about the new DirecTV DVR that worked "on 5 TVs".

I was able to get the HR-34 plus 3 other DVRs ("Now these will be the HR-24s, right?" "Absolutely!" he says, I'll hold my breathe and keep my fingers crossed), plus the CCK plus the new dish and the Whole Home Service for $199 plus tax.

I have not used the latest version of the DirecTV HD DVR so I am hoping it is better than the first one they had. That was horrible and I returned it in less than a week. I am moving from 11 year old HD Tivos to the new DirecTV HD DVR so I am hoping it will be an improvement.

#170 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

Not sure what that means but if its used for Whole Home I dont have it, need it or want it.

DECA is how the receivers communicate with each other, your LAN, internet, etc; (Tv Apps, Media Share, On-Demand, Pandora, YouTube...) You may not want it, but there's a reason that CCK was installed ;) You have information that D* wants, and DECA helps them get it.

In any case you can't get a SWM32 unless you install it yourself.

#171 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

DECA is how the receivers communicate with each other, your LAN, internet, etc; (Tv Apps, Media Share, Pandora, YouTube...) You may not want it, but there's a reason that CCK was installed ;)

In any case you can't get a SWM32 unless you install it yourself.

The CCK was installed a month ago. I just ordered the HR34 yesterday. I did tell the installer a month ago I was going to get one. Maybe he was saving me some hassle but I not intend on ever having Whole Home.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#172 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

The CCK was installed a month ago. I just ordered the HR34 yesterday. I did tell the installer a month ago I was going to get one. Maybe he was saving me some hassle but I not intend on ever having Whole Home.

The CCK has little to do with Whole Home or the HR34. It's something D* is pushing for all setups.

#173 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

People don't fell like there entitled to a discount from their power company because nobody gets one.

I get a discount from my power company :)
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#174 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

Except he has two receivers and the HR24 and HR34, not two receivers that are the HR24 and HR34. Nine total tuners, therefore he needs a SWiM-16.

Your grammar > my grammar. Agreed with your take.

#175 OFFLINE   tgater

tgater

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:29 AM

This is the age of entitlement, and it’s spreading like the plague. The worse ones are the 25 and under group, why should the work for it? They are entitled to it because they exist. That being said when I ordered my HR34 Thursday morning and was told the price of $399. I told them that DTV offered me a HR24 in December to replace a DVR80 that was failing at no cost. I asked for a HR34 instead. The CSR said that because I was a subscriber since 1999 I could get the HR34 for $199 once it became in my area. To which I agreed to wait for. The installer showed up just before 1 PM local time and had to install something on the dish and align it. SWM 16 in the basement was installed but he tried to get away with using only one 8-way splitter. We have three HR24’s, one HR23, one H21, one H23, one H24 and now one HR34 for a total of 16 tuners on the SWM side of things and one DVR10 connected directly to two legacy ports on the SWM 16. DECA boxes had to be installed at 3 locations. At first he tried the install with one splitter and most of the receivers were not receiving a signal. He did admit his mistake and also that this was his first HR34 install. I figured what the heck, we all have to do our first something at various times in life so it ended up being a good learning experience for both of us. The only draw back to the 5 hour install was that he did not program the remote for the TV and it wasn’t an RF remote. They are sending someone back to replace the remote.

#176 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:45 AM

It uses SWM. Sounds like you have a SWM LNB at the dish. If adding the HR34 will take you over 8 tuners, you'll need to swap out the LNB for a regular one and get a SWM16.

Thanks. Now, with the HR34 I would be at 7. All i need.

I think I will try and get one for the best deal. But I want one, period.

#177 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

:rolleyes: I know that Solid Signal is a good company and there are lots of people who have DTV that buy receivers from them. With all the bs coming from csr's about the HR-34 and DTV refusing to give every customer a rebate and good deal now would be a good time for some of the third party companies that carry the 34 to step up and give ALL DTV customers some kind of rebate and a good price. Just a thought.

#178 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

I am entitled to the same price others with my longevity get, nothing more and nothing less.

This inconsistency is Very Bad Business, and quite possibly illegal. :rant:

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#179 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

I am entitled to the same price others with my longevity get, nothing more and nothing less.

This inconsistency is Very Bad Business, and quite possibly illegal. :rant:

Well, no you aren't 'entitled', buy you can expect it! :)

This is just the typical D* crapshoot with deals. You just never know what deal will be offered or not and there won't be any real rhyme or reason as to why one gets it and the other doesn't. Very, very typical of D*.

And no, it isn't illegal.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#180 OFFLINE   olemiss36

olemiss36

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

I've been a directv customer since 2008. called last week trying to get the HR-34, told me to call back on the 9th. When i called back on the 9th at about 0900 EST, the CSR asked if i knew the pricing, said yes it was 399 with 300 rebate, she confirmed then put me on hold to complete the order. after about 15 minutes on hold she came back apologetic saying that the rebate was only for new customers and not existing, said she was going to put me on hold again and do some checking....after about 10 more minutes on hold she said the best they would let her do is 100 off, she was extremely nice and apologetic the whole time. I asked if I could just speak to retentions and she transfered me over after putting notes in my account. After I got sent to retentions, the rep there asked what i was calling for, i said i just wanted the 300 rebate, she put me on hold for about 10 minutes, came back on the line apologizing since it was the launch day no one really knew what was going on, and said they were going to give me a 300 instant credit, and also give me the cinema now for whole home dvr for free..ended up paying 148 (99 for HR34 + 49 instal), and the installer just left my house. So I got the HR-34, and whole home DVR for 148.

spam firewall