Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hooking up to internet

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

I apologize for starting my own topic on this, but I'd like to get my own thread started. I'd like to hook my DVR up to the internet, but my router and modem are way far away from my DVR and they WILL NOT WORK any other place. Is there any other way to go about getting the internet hooked up to DVR?

Thanks in advance..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

If there is a coax near the modem a cpl decas would do it. If not there is a wireless adapter you can buy that the dvr's work with.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#3 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

If your modem-router is wireless an EZ way is to get an Apple Airport Express. Plug the DVR's ethernet into the Airport Express and connect by WiFi from the Airport Express to your modem router.

Another EZ way if your modem-router is wireless is to get a DirecTV DCCK-W and connect it to the DVR the same way as the Apple Airport Express.

#4 ONLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,822 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Do a search for "Wifi Adapter" on Amazon. This device allows you to hook up something that is "wired" to a wireless connection. I have one hooked up to my mothers television/BluRay player/DVR. It does require some configuration. The cost is around $60.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#5 OFFLINE   robertk328

robertk328

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

This is the one I use - plugs into the ethernet, connects to your wireless. Set it up on your desktop/laptop first (to add your wireless security settings) and it's super easy.

#6 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Anything out there for under $50?

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

Do you want it to work well, or just cheap?

#8 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

I may be wrong, but you probably can get them to set up a DECA network pretty cheap, but look at directv connected home

http://www.dbstalk.c...sprune=-1&f=137

#9 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

You could always take an old wireless router that you dont use anymore and turn it into a wireless bridge. I think they are way better then any wireless adaptor you can buy plus it then gives you the option to hook up more then one device to it. A wireless bridge is a MUST HAVE for any entertainment center nowadays.

Denon 4308
HR20-700 leased
H20-100 leased

HR24-500 owned

HTPC running XBMC 12.2

With DirecTV since Dec 1994

#10 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

About the only thing your going to get to connect that for under $50 is a long ethernet cable.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#11 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

You could always take an old wireless router that you dont use anymore and turn it into a wireless bridge. I think they are way better then any wireless adaptor you can buy plus it then gives you the option to hook up more then one device to it. A wireless bridge is a MUST HAVE for any entertainment center nowadays.

+1

Works great, and the price ranges from free to cheap, like the Linksys 160N ($26 shipped). I've also used an ASUS 330GE access point with great success ($15 after rebate).

#12 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

I've bought quite a few used Apple Airport Expresses off craigslist for $20 and they work GREAT for exactly what the OP wants to do.

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Is this easy to do? Or someone who's done it with Netgear routers? I tried a few months ago, but got snarled and gave up.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

My wireless bridge is between 2 Linksys routers, used to be a netgear main router and a Linksys in wireless bridge mode using the DDWRT software..it can be done with many but not all..There are quite a few that do not support wireless bridge mode, so it does depend on model/manufacturer for the one being used as the wireless bridge.

#15 OFFLINE   goldwing

goldwing

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSW OHIO

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

My wireless bridge is between 2 Linksys routers, used to be a netgear main router and a Linksys in wireless bridge mode using the DDWRT software..it can be done with many but not all..There are quite a few that do not support wireless bridge mode, so it does depend on model/manufacturer for the one being used as the wireless bridge.

DDWRT works or you could google 'tomato firmware" :)

Denon 4308
HR20-700 leased
H20-100 leased

HR24-500 owned

HTPC running XBMC 12.2

With DirecTV since Dec 1994

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,409 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

DDWRT works or you could google 'tomato firmware" :)

I think Ccarncross uses it. But as a bonus, switching over to it also removes a major security vulnerability that every maker is forced to include and have on by default. Well, except the way Apple does it.

#17 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

I use powerline adapters. You plug one into a wall outlet near youir router and run an ethernet cable from the adapter to the ethernet port on your router. The other adapter you plug into a wall outlet near your receiver and run an ethernet cable from it to your receiver. (you can't use a powerbar)

Amazon sell these; last time I bought a pair it was $70

#18 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

+1

Works great, and the price ranges from free to cheap, like the Linksys 160N ($26 shipped). I've also used an ASUS 330GE access point with great success ($15 after rebate).

Those are some good deals. Although the op doesn't mention if his current router and modem are wireless. If he has to buy both, hes probably going to be over $50.

For $15, I might have purchased that Asus access point, just to have on hand. I don't see any rebate on any of them. And the lowest shown is $30 on eBay, but it looks like an error and its actually $40 for a refurbished.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#19 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

I apologize for starting my own topic on this, but I'd like to get my own thread started. I'd like to hook my DVR up to the internet, but my router and modem are way far away from my DVR and they WILL NOT WORK any other place. Is there any other way to go about getting the internet hooked up to DVR?

Thanks in advance..

How far away? 25 feet? More?
You can buy ethernet cables in lengths of 25 feet and longer

http://www.monoprice...102&cp_id=10208

http://www.monoprice...102&cp_id=10232

I've purchased cables from this from this company before (SATA ,HDMI ,component ,and audio) and they have all worked perfectly.
They ship by the next business day at the latest and usually the same business day. They also pack their products pretty well. I don't remember anything I've ever ordered from them being shipped in anything other than a box. Their prices also blow Best Buy out the water and half-way down the block.

#20 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

Great place to buy cables. They carry some stuff you would never think they did like camera batteries, etc.

spam firewall