Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hooking up to internet

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

I use powerline adapters. You plug one into a wall outlet near youir router and run an ethernet cable from the adapter to the ethernet port on your router. The other adapter you plug into a wall outlet near your receiver and run an ethernet cable from it to your receiver. (you can't use a powerbar)

Amazon sell these; last time I bought a pair it was $70

Same here. Just bought 2 from ebay ($30 total) to replace one I bought a few years ago when D* sold them. Easy Peasy and I have a spare. Works great.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Thanks everyone.... I'm thinking I'll by some power line adapters. Now, here is a dumb question. If I do get them, will I be able to use all the "apps" that D* has/will have?

#28 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

They set up DECA as part of their Whole Home DVR Service and that's running around $200 (assuming that you qualify).

Doing DECA assumes that the OP is already set up with SWiM. Given the complete absence of details about the OP's setup, that must be established first.

Mine was free, I got a new HR 24 (essentially free as well) to replace an H22 and they threw in DECA for free. I had the SWIM but they also gave me a new one. :)

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Thanks everyone.... I'm thinking I'll by some power line adapters. Now, here is a dumb question. If I do get them, will I be able to use all the "apps" that D* has/will have?

I recall reading some real cautions about using those. I'm sure you can find the threads if you care to.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#30 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 394 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

I recall reading some real cautions about using those. I'm sure you can find the threads if you care to.

It's hit or miss. I bought them and they worked great...for everything but DTV. The DVR would not connect with them. If you're going that route, then buy them somewhere with a good return policy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...