Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Media Share

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bghmsh

bghmsh

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Ok so I have whole house set up Hr34 with 2 Book sized receivers in my office / bedroom I am a Tivo convert < BUT I have a whole series of videos (thousands) having digitized all of my movies to MPEG2

Using PY Tivo an offshoot of Python scripting I am able to move my movies (up to 4.3Gb) over my home network connection to the Tivo.

On the Tivo mu PC Hard Drive is noted and its a straight pull service using the Tivo Software and the extra Python functionality.

So my Direct TV Setup arrives I can see my computer , see the drive , but everything that I own exceeds the playable limit, any helper programs available to get around this limitation ? I have my old Tivo still setup on another HD input and it still works fine =. I would however like to settle on using only one box

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Notice that it says "BETA".
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

So you guys going to cop out not fixing it for the past 2 or 3 yrs because it says "beta"? Geeze.

To the OP: Download Tversity (do a search for the best and most compatible version here on the forum), install it on your server, and it will transcode your videos to those lower res bitrates media share seems to require. Its not a fix all, but sure beats DirecTv's excuse. :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

I gave up on Media Share and opted for the WDTV LIve Plus HD media player.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,912 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Media Share should be scrapped by DirecTV because it's horrible.

My advice to the OP: Get a decent BluRay player that you can stream to.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

I also use something else, but after paying $399 for a Home MEDIA Center DVR, I think I should be entitled to MEDIA... Otherwise they should just have called it the DVR-5 or something.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   bghmsh

bghmsh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Ok so having read all of the responses (thanks) my guess is the answer is a resounding no Actually I have two Media Link 520 HD's and Three Tivo's and a WD media center..

BUT : - Tivo is by far the best solution sure you have to transcode the odd program but the spousal use factors make it worth while (ie it's easy to use) SO my question in the Directtvtivo section is can it stream video from a home network?

#8 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

Are you serious? It's been "BETA" for years. Calling it beta is simply an excuse for its current sorry state.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#9 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

So you guys going to cop out not fixing it for the past 2 or 3 yrs because it says "beta"? Geeze.

To the OP: Download Tversity (do a search for the best and most compatible version here on the forum), install it on your server, and it will transcode your videos to those lower res bitrates media share seems to require. Its not a fix all, but sure beats DirecTv's excuse. :)

I don't know what you think that I should do personally about it :lol: Geze yourself.

#10 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Are you serious? It's been "BETA" for years. Calling it beta is simply an excuse for its current sorry state.

D* leaving the BETA badge on it is simply to display that it's not done (not that this incarnation ever will be) and isn't a supported feature.

spam firewall