Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Doomsday Preppers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

The National Geographic channel had a new series called Doomsday Preppers which explores the lives of otherwise ordinary Americans who are preparing for the end of the world as we know it. Unique in their beliefs, motivations, and strategies, preppers will go to whatever lengths they can to make sure they are prepared for any of life’s uncertainties. What I was expecting was a show talking about the preparations people make for a major catastrophe. What I got was a profile of the preppers, what measures they are taking, and a evaluation, all with a hint of "these are a bunch of fringe weirdos" like hoarding enough food to last twenty years because they expect their fellow man to turn in savages.

After one episodes, I shut it off.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Y2k all over again, except with no due date. Maintaining a constant state of crisis rediness, rotating perishables and all those family "drills" -- it must be exausting to watch, must less do.

I have enough stress in my life.

Pass.

(I wouldn't want my kids growing up thinking Dad was nuttier than he was already.)

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

These people are nuts. They're no different then hoarders or other extreme OCD people.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,650 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

It's also less real than NatGeo makes out. The producers encouraged extreme behavior and responses because the real stuff was too booring.

http://freethoughtbl...-megan-hurwitt/

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

It's also less real than NatGeo makes out. The producers encouraged extreme behavior and responses because the real stuff was too booring.

Busted!!!!!!

And, mind you, I believe that a disaster is waiting to happen, and that you should be prepared to be self-sufficient for about a week. (I'm not.) I would have liked to know how long that preserved chicken was going to keep. I would have liked to know what electronics they were going to run from those windmills. Instead, I got people who I was utterly convinced would have trotted out the tin-foil hats and X File theories if I stay tuned.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

Y2k all over again, except with no due date. Maintaining a constant state of crisis rediness, rotating perishables and all those family "drills" -- it must be exausting to watch, must less do.

I have enough stress in my life.

Pass.

(I wouldn't want my kids growing up thinking Dad was nuttier than he was already.)

I passed on this. Not interested!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...