Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How has Pandora changed your viewing habits?

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,815 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

No change to my habits.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Spicoli

Spicoli

This is only a test...

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have listened to Pandora a few times but not enough to say that my viewing habits have changed.
-Jeff

#23 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

I use it a couple times a week, the sound quality is better than the "regular" music channels. It is a great addition.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#24 OFFLINE   GregNico

GregNico

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

• Channel surfing now is safe. When the wife is napping it is important to not have pause in sound or abrupt level changes... Yes .. Like others are saying ..listening to more music than before. Enjoying it.

#25 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 496 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Instead of using the normal music channels, I now use Pandora.

My Setup
Directv '98

#26 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

No, the audio is not perfect, and the occasional advertisment is a bit irritating.

Pandora Unlimited is $36 a year and it removes the ads and the listening limits.

The D* app isn't currently kicking free users off after 40 hours a month, but that's how the Roku app worked at first as well. The Roku app now imposes the limit, and I'd imagine that the D* app will as well eventually.

Given all of the places that you can use it, Pandora is a great buy at $36. Even my 6 week old daughter has a Pandora Unlimited account.

#27 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I've already had Pandora (and other services) access via my Squeezeboxes and WDTV units throughout the house, so I don't really use it on the DVR. Regardless, I do think it's a nice addition to the software.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#28 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

I use it almost every day. It's one of the most useful new features at my house.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#29 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,355 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

I've been really enjoying it for a while now! I used to play my itunes on my DVR through Tversity, but obviously that was limited to what I had on my computer. And switching between live TV and Pandora is a lot easier as well.

I also have been introduced to a few artists I had not heard of before that I really enjoy now. The only issue I have is that the sound is about 7 times louder than the audio from the TV. My husband sleeps days and the TV and sound system are right under our bed. When I switched it over to Pandora the first time, I about got blown out of my seat!! Holy crap it was loud!! Now I make sure to turn the volume way down before starting Pandora.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

The sound quality is execrable, so I won't use it. I subscribe to MOG for $5 a month and get CD quality [320 kb/s], ad-free music on my audio system through my Roku. Compared to MOG, listening to Pandora is like listening through a tin can.

#31 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

I enjoy listening to music in the background during games sometimes.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#32 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

I could not care less about Pandora.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#33 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

I enjoy listening to music in the background during games sometimes.

Hi Sigma.

I'm technolgically trapped in the 18th century.

Using a single HD DVR, is there a way to both listen to Pandora and watch a TV channel?

Thanks!

#34 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi Sigma.

I'm technolgically trapped in the 18th century.

Using a single HD DVR, is there a way to both listen to Pandora and watch a TV channel?

Thanks!

Yes any HR EXCEPT the HR20 will do that.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#35 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

The concept is great, but the sound quality of internet and satellite radio is going in the wrong direction. When I listen to music, the sound quality has to be optimum or I can't tolerate it.

I would much rather they put more effort into the media sharing function so I could realiably access the GBs of full quality audio on my PC.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#36 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

The concept is great, but the sound quality of internet and satellite radio is going in the wrong direction. When I listen to music, the sound quality has to be optimum or I can't tolerate it.

I would much rather they put more effort into the media sharing function so I could realiably access the GBs of full quality audio on my PC.

Hmmm....lots of complaints about sound quality. I guess those front row seats at AC/DC and Skynrd shows have had an effect on me...:hurah:

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#37 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

You all have to keep in mind that the average Directv customer isn't going to be listening to Pandora on anything more fancy than the 2 (or sometimes 1) 5 Watt speakers built into their TV. The cross section of users at DBSTalk are not a very accurate representation of how 'nitpicky' the customer base is about Pandoras audio quality.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#38 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

I have 2TB of Apple Lossless files. Most from CD rips, some from vinyl rips. When I am playing music for the sake of listening to my music, I have equipment that does the job.

When I'm mobile, or working or using Pandora so that I don't have to listen to the jobbers calling the game, Pandora will do just fine.

If I'm not concentrating solely on the music, it's a waste of energy to play my lossless music. If your music always has to sound it's best, regardless of how much attention you are giving it, well, you'll never be happy with Pandora.

#39 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

You're lucky you have decent stations...

I listen to Pandora, just not on the TV. That's one of the uses for the SqueezeBox. I also use Pandora through my iPhone at work.

#40 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

You all have to keep in mind that the average Directv customer isn't going to be listening to Pandora on anything more fancy than the 2 (or sometimes 1) 5 Watt speakers built into their TV. The cross section of users at DBSTalk are not a very accurate representation of how 'nitpicky' the customer base is about Pandoras audio quality.

The average directv customer probably won't get any further than the code # instruction screen. I think the user base here is probably a very good representation of the customers that would be likely to enable it.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

Protected By... spam firewall...And...