Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How has Pandora changed your viewing habits?

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

No, the audio is not perfect, and the occasional advertisment is a bit irritating.

Pandora Unlimited is $36 a year and it removes the ads and the listening limits.

The D* app isn't currently kicking free users off after 40 hours a month, but that's how the Roku app worked at first as well. The Roku app now imposes the limit, and I'd imagine that the D* app will as well eventually.

Given all of the places that you can use it, Pandora is a great buy at $36. Even my 6 week old daughter has a Pandora Unlimited account.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I've already had Pandora (and other services) access via my Squeezeboxes and WDTV units throughout the house, so I don't really use it on the DVR. Regardless, I do think it's a nice addition to the software.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#28 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

I use it almost every day. It's one of the most useful new features at my house.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#29 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

I've been really enjoying it for a while now! I used to play my itunes on my DVR through Tversity, but obviously that was limited to what I had on my computer. And switching between live TV and Pandora is a lot easier as well.

I also have been introduced to a few artists I had not heard of before that I really enjoy now. The only issue I have is that the sound is about 7 times louder than the audio from the TV. My husband sleeps days and the TV and sound system are right under our bed. When I switched it over to Pandora the first time, I about got blown out of my seat!! Holy crap it was loud!! Now I make sure to turn the volume way down before starting Pandora.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 632 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

The sound quality is execrable, so I won't use it. I subscribe to MOG for $5 a month and get CD quality [320 kb/s], ad-free music on my audio system through my Roku. Compared to MOG, listening to Pandora is like listening through a tin can.

#31 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,347 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

I enjoy listening to music in the background during games sometimes.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#32 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

I could not care less about Pandora.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H24

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#33 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

I enjoy listening to music in the background during games sometimes.

Hi Sigma.

I'm technolgically trapped in the 18th century.

Using a single HD DVR, is there a way to both listen to Pandora and watch a TV channel?

Thanks!

#34 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,008 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi Sigma.

I'm technolgically trapped in the 18th century.

Using a single HD DVR, is there a way to both listen to Pandora and watch a TV channel?

Thanks!

Yes any HR EXCEPT the HR20 will do that.

HR44-200 HDMI to Toshiba 42
HR24-100

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#35 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

The concept is great, but the sound quality of internet and satellite radio is going in the wrong direction. When I listen to music, the sound quality has to be optimum or I can't tolerate it.

I would much rather they put more effort into the media sharing function so I could realiably access the GBs of full quality audio on my PC.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#36 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,008 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

The concept is great, but the sound quality of internet and satellite radio is going in the wrong direction. When I listen to music, the sound quality has to be optimum or I can't tolerate it.

I would much rather they put more effort into the media sharing function so I could realiably access the GBs of full quality audio on my PC.

Hmmm....lots of complaints about sound quality. I guess those front row seats at AC/DC and Skynrd shows have had an effect on me...:hurah:

HR44-200 HDMI to Toshiba 42
HR24-100

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#37 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

You all have to keep in mind that the average Directv customer isn't going to be listening to Pandora on anything more fancy than the 2 (or sometimes 1) 5 Watt speakers built into their TV. The cross section of users at DBSTalk are not a very accurate representation of how 'nitpicky' the customer base is about Pandoras audio quality.

#38 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

I have 2TB of Apple Lossless files. Most from CD rips, some from vinyl rips. When I am playing music for the sake of listening to my music, I have equipment that does the job.

When I'm mobile, or working or using Pandora so that I don't have to listen to the jobbers calling the game, Pandora will do just fine.

If I'm not concentrating solely on the music, it's a waste of energy to play my lossless music. If your music always has to sound it's best, regardless of how much attention you are giving it, well, you'll never be happy with Pandora.

#39 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

You're lucky you have decent stations...

I listen to Pandora, just not on the TV. That's one of the uses for the SqueezeBox. I also use Pandora through my iPhone at work.

#40 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

You all have to keep in mind that the average Directv customer isn't going to be listening to Pandora on anything more fancy than the 2 (or sometimes 1) 5 Watt speakers built into their TV. The cross section of users at DBSTalk are not a very accurate representation of how 'nitpicky' the customer base is about Pandoras audio quality.

The average directv customer probably won't get any further than the code # instruction screen. I think the user base here is probably a very good representation of the customers that would be likely to enable it.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#41 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Personal Opinion:

When I listen to Pandora, it isn't for the quality.
It is typically for genre's that I don't own on CD, or original MP3. and as background/party music.

(I most listen to the Comedy Standup anyway).

When I want to crank up, and enjoy the music... CD's and the Original MP3's are the way I go.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#42 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

The average directv customer probably won't get any further than the code # instruction screen. I think the user base here is probably a very good representation of the customers that would be likely to enable it.

Why would Directv bother implementing it if that was the case. That'd be pretty stupid :lol:

#43 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Personal Opinion:

When I listen to Pandora, it isn't for the quality.
It is typically for genre's that I don't own on CD, or original MP3. and as background/party music.

I'd agree with this,

but it would be nice to see some usability put into media share as well.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#44 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Almost not at all...poor SQ is a big turn off for me. If I'm watching tv, I'm watching tv. If I'm listening to music, I'm listening to music.

#45 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,524 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

I like it. I've stopped listening to SonicTap channels now that we have Pandora. I think it's a great addition!

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#46 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Yes any HR EXCEPT the HR20 will do that.

Thanks for the info. Another reason to get rid of this 5 year old 20 !

#47 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Same answer I gave with youtube:

I used it once when I first got it.

Haven't used it since, and doubt I will.

But, I'd choose it over youtube.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#48 OFFLINE   samiam0016

samiam0016

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

** Note: Personal Comment Here (Not a DIRECTV Comment)

It saved me from having to purchase three new Blu-Ray/DVD Players (or other hardware), so I can have Pandora in other rooms of my house.

THIS WAY OF THINKING is dangerous because having physical copies is the ONLY WAY to go, Services can go out of business, raise rates or content is removed and/or never added.

Which leaves the consumer out of lock with no options and money wasted, but this misinformed person is the norm these days like all providers do not want people owning copies they are slowly by direct and indirect way to digital distribution.

And with tv providers lacking having all channels and even if did they do not have all the shows people like (older than 1995 and if do they are heavily edited) same with digital distribution.

Lack of content and edited also + low quality (blu-ray and dvd has better quality) and the individual has control over what they watch and when.

This is the same deranged reason they will not allow Set Top Blu-Ray recorders in this country.

Of course the poster I am quoting thinks Chuck is a good show, shows his complete lack of sense as that show with 99.9% of today's show stink - reality and/or scripted.

DirecTV DISH and all providers (channels included_ have gone to showing nothing but 4or5 shows on 1 channels most days and have no real lineups left and VOD (all providers) is a joke cause it has only 1/100th of 1% of all shows ever made.

This company (and all others want) to slowly destroy choice of what we can watch on our terms with only owned equipment in our own hones with no need to connect to the internet.

Eventually only the elitist will own blu-rays and dvd's and be able to watch them, if you think I am full of crap look at all the other things everyday people had access to but no longer do.

Cars made solidly (do not crunch like a pop can) this is by older cars that they can afford (30s through 70s)

Meat that is not a chemical filled mess - they have pushed up the price to clean meat and years ago every regular person would be able to buy

and the list goes on and on .......

#49 OFFLINE   jceman

jceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 275 posts
  • LocationNorth of Daytona Intl. Speedway

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

It has not changed our viewing habits at all, but it sure has enhanced our listening. STB is on virtually all day providing background sound when not actively watching TV; and Pandora has opened a lot of flexibility to our music selection with a minimum of fuss.

#50 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,059 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

If you've got the latest software for your HD DVR you will be able to use Pandora right though your TV. All it takes is an internet connection. Are you using it? Is it working well for you?

I had Pandora on my phone, iPad, WDTV Live (I think), and my two Blu-ray players. It's a nice addition for DirecTV customers, but like the following devices, I doubt I will use it much.

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...