Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How has Pandora changed your viewing habits?

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Personal Opinion:

When I listen to Pandora, it isn't for the quality.
It is typically for genre's that I don't own on CD, or original MP3. and as background/party music.

(I most listen to the Comedy Standup anyway).

When I want to crank up, and enjoy the music... CD's and the Original MP3's are the way I go.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

The average directv customer probably won't get any further than the code # instruction screen. I think the user base here is probably a very good representation of the customers that would be likely to enable it.

Why would Directv bother implementing it if that was the case. That'd be pretty stupid :lol:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#43 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Personal Opinion:

When I listen to Pandora, it isn't for the quality.
It is typically for genre's that I don't own on CD, or original MP3. and as background/party music.

I'd agree with this,

I would much rather they put more effort into the media sharing function so I could realiably access the GBs of full quality audio on my PC.

but it would be nice to see some usability put into media share as well.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#44 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Almost not at all...poor SQ is a big turn off for me. If I'm watching tv, I'm watching tv. If I'm listening to music, I'm listening to music.

#45 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,292 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

I like it. I've stopped listening to SonicTap channels now that we have Pandora. I think it's a great addition!

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#46 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Yes any HR EXCEPT the HR20 will do that.

Thanks for the info. Another reason to get rid of this 5 year old 20 !

#47 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Same answer I gave with youtube:

I used it once when I first got it.

Haven't used it since, and doubt I will.

But, I'd choose it over youtube.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#48 OFFLINE   samiam0016

samiam0016

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

** Note: Personal Comment Here (Not a DIRECTV Comment)

It saved me from having to purchase three new Blu-Ray/DVD Players (or other hardware), so I can have Pandora in other rooms of my house.

THIS WAY OF THINKING is dangerous because having physical copies is the ONLY WAY to go, Services can go out of business, raise rates or content is removed and/or never added.

Which leaves the consumer out of lock with no options and money wasted, but this misinformed person is the norm these days like all providers do not want people owning copies they are slowly by direct and indirect way to digital distribution.

And with tv providers lacking having all channels and even if did they do not have all the shows people like (older than 1995 and if do they are heavily edited) same with digital distribution.

Lack of content and edited also + low quality (blu-ray and dvd has better quality) and the individual has control over what they watch and when.

This is the same deranged reason they will not allow Set Top Blu-Ray recorders in this country.

Of course the poster I am quoting thinks Chuck is a good show, shows his complete lack of sense as that show with 99.9% of today's show stink - reality and/or scripted.

DirecTV DISH and all providers (channels included_ have gone to showing nothing but 4or5 shows on 1 channels most days and have no real lineups left and VOD (all providers) is a joke cause it has only 1/100th of 1% of all shows ever made.

This company (and all others want) to slowly destroy choice of what we can watch on our terms with only owned equipment in our own hones with no need to connect to the internet.

Eventually only the elitist will own blu-rays and dvd's and be able to watch them, if you think I am full of crap look at all the other things everyday people had access to but no longer do.

Cars made solidly (do not crunch like a pop can) this is by older cars that they can afford (30s through 70s)

Meat that is not a chemical filled mess - they have pushed up the price to clean meat and years ago every regular person would be able to buy

and the list goes on and on .......

#49 OFFLINE   jceman

jceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNorth of Daytona Intl. Speedway

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

It has not changed our viewing habits at all, but it sure has enhanced our listening. STB is on virtually all day providing background sound when not actively watching TV; and Pandora has opened a lot of flexibility to our music selection with a minimum of fuss.

#50 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,724 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

If you've got the latest software for your HD DVR you will be able to use Pandora right though your TV. All it takes is an internet connection. Are you using it? Is it working well for you?

I had Pandora on my phone, iPad, WDTV Live (I think), and my two Blu-ray players. It's a nice addition for DirecTV customers, but like the following devices, I doubt I will use it much.

~Alan

#51 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

THIS WAY OF THINKING is dangerous because having physical copies is the ONLY WAY to go, Services can go out of business, raise rates or content is removed and/or never added.

Which leaves the consumer out of lock with no options and money wasted, but this misinformed person is the norm these days like all providers do not want people owning copies they are slowly by direct and indirect way to digital distribution.

And with tv providers lacking having all channels and even if did they do not have all the shows people like (older than 1995 and if do they are heavily edited) same with digital distribution.

Lack of content and edited also + low quality (blu-ray and dvd has better quality) and the individual has control over what they watch and when.

This is the same deranged reason they will not allow Set Top Blu-Ray recorders in this country.

Of course the poster I am quoting thinks Chuck is a good show, shows his complete lack of sense as that show with 99.9% of today's show stink - reality and/or scripted.

DirecTV DISH and all providers (channels included_ have gone to showing nothing but 4or5 shows on 1 channels most days and have no real lineups left and VOD (all providers) is a joke cause it has only 1/100th of 1% of all shows ever made.

This company (and all others want) to slowly destroy choice of what we can watch on our terms with only owned equipment in our own hones with no need to connect to the internet.

Eventually only the elitist will own blu-rays and dvd's and be able to watch them, if you think I am full of crap look at all the other things everyday people had access to but no longer do.

Cars made solidly (do not crunch like a pop can) this is by older cars that they can afford (30s through 70s)

Meat that is not a chemical filled mess - they have pushed up the price to clean meat and years ago every regular person would be able to buy

and the list goes on and on .......

I'm not sure what you had to eat that caused that, but I'm pretty sure you should wipe after.

#52 OFFLINE   bootsy

bootsy

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

It's been great. I'm going to try it over the home audio system tonight and hear what it sounds like.

#53 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

THIS WAY OF THINKING is dangerous because having physical copies is the ONLY WAY to go,

Just what we need, another nut job.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#54 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

It is working well on the receivers I have it on. Still waiting on my HR24 to get the update.

As how it will change my viewing habits: I will probably never again tune to that train wreck Sonic Tap calls music channels.

#55 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,838 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

If I listened to music even a little bit, I think it would be preferable to Sonic. Since I don't listen to music (hardly ever), this feature is of no interest to me.

I will say, for the general consumer, I think it's a nice addition.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#56 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

THIS WAY OF THINKING is dangerous because having physical copies is the ONLY WAY to go...

Just what we need, another nut job.

!rolling

I was having a crazy day, but that was hillarious!

#57 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Why would Directv bother implementing it if that was the case. That'd be pretty stupid :lol:

because they get a kick from Pandora to offer it.

Do you think the average user even has their DVR connected to the internet?

The fact that you need an internet connected receiver to do it, immediatley makes it a function that only a small minority of users (the tech savvy) could even take advantage of.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#58 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

...Do you think the average user even has their DVR connected to the internet?...

I don't know the answer to that question, but I spoke to a tech (about 4 mos ago) when a relative had D* installed. The tech stated that D* is pushing hard to have a CCK installed with every system now.

#59 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't know the answer to that question, but I spoke to a tech (about 4 mos ago) when a relative had D* installed. The tech stated that D* is pushing hard to have a CCK installed with every system now.

Bingo.

Not only on every installation, but on every upgrade and on every service call. Anywhere a tech comes near an HDDVR in a home with broadband, it gets connected now.

#60 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

The concept is great, but the sound quality of internet and satellite radio is going in the wrong direction. When I listen to music, the sound quality has to be optimum or I can't tolerate it.

I would much rather they put more effort into the media sharing function so I could realiably access the GBs of full quality audio on my PC.

Blame MP3 players and kids. Most kids today actually don't like to hear all the technical parts of music anymore. There was a study done awhile ago that kids actually chose 128 and then 256 as their preferred compression size. Anything higher they stated it didn't sound right.

Most of the true lossless codecs are either proprietary or open source. This leads to them never being adapted mainstream.

spam firewall