Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How has Pandora changed your viewing habits?

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

I really like the addition of Pandora. I listen to music from the HD DVR about 30% of the time. Pandora hasn't changed my viewing habits but I don't listen to SonicTap as much now. I use a laptop in my living room during the day and the almost commercial free (and no DJ's!) music is perfect for me.

I am having a problem of no sound when I exit Pandora. I have to change channels for the sound to come back. That's kind of annoying as I lose the buffer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Blame MP3 players and kids. Most kids today actually don't like to hear all the technical parts of music anymore. There was a study done awhile ago that kids actually chose 128 and then 256 as their preferred compression size. Anything higher they stated it didn't sound right.

Most of the true lossless codecs are either proprietary or open source. This leads to them never being adapted mainstream.

Even 128 sounds good on a full bandwidth connection. What I can't stand is the bit-starved audio that is being pushed through XM and web-based outlets now. I love the variety on XM but I won't renew it after this year, the quality has gone in the toilet over the last few years.

As for the music, there's not much technical part to listen to these days, so the crappy digital distribution methods are more than adequate.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#63 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,213 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

IF this is also a place for more general feedback, the floater still sort of vibrates as it moves along. It could go much slower, though that may not fix the jitters.

Also, in the box, many of the lines of Artist, Title and Album are cut off, esp. with Classical music, which tend to have longer names all around.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#64 OFFLINE   moob

moob

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

If you've got the latest software for your HD DVR you will be able to use Pandora right though your TV. All it takes is an internet connection. Are you using it? Is it working well for you?

Nope. I saw that I got the new update a few days ago, so I tried it. It worked fine for the first 5 minutes, but then I had a couple seconds delay when trying to use the D* guide. That turned into a 5 second delay. Then about 10 seconds. By the time I was trying to get back into the Extras menu, I was waiting 5 minutes before my key-presses would register (almost did a RBR but didn't want to have to wait to repopulate the guide). I unlinked Pandora and everything went back to normal.

I'll probably give it another try since watching ESPNews or something while listening to music seems like it'd be appealing. I just need to carve out some time in case I'm hit with that performance glitch again.

I would prefer Spotify over Pandora, but beggars can't be choosers. :P

#65 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

I love it ! Use it all the time !

#66 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

I love listening to my 'stations' on the weekends when I'm doing housework... which I admit is not nearly often enough.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#67 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Pandora hasn't really changed my listening habits much. I've tried it out on the receivers but still really prefer SiriusXM in the car and using the iPhone app at home.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#68 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

I actually like the SonicTap channels. So I don't need Pandora, but like having the option.

#69 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

I've just had it for a couple of days and have 2 HR20s hooked up to the main TV so I can't use it in the background but I'm glad we got it. 2 HR24s are hooked up to a second TV and I need them there for the 3D. Pandora is a good service and I will use it. Spotify has a huge amount of available music compared to Pandora.

#70 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 564 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

Nope. I saw that I got the new update a few days ago, so I tried it. It worked fine for the first 5 minutes, but then I had a couple seconds delay when trying to use the D* guide. That turned into a 5 second delay. Then about 10 seconds. By the time I was trying to get back into the Extras menu, I was waiting 5 minutes before my key-presses would register (almost did a RBR but didn't want to have to wait to repopulate the guide). I unlinked Pandora and everything went back to normal.

I'll probably give it another try since watching ESPNews or something while listening to music seems like it'd be appealing. I just need to carve out some time in case I'm hit with that performance glitch again.

I would prefer Spotify over Pandora, but beggars can't be choosers. :P

I had the same problem on my R22, but I cleared my vavram and it solved the problem.

#71 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Its a great addition. We've used it nearly everyday since it was available. I think the audio quality is very good. The ads are not as intrusive as I thought they would be. Usually play it in the background of hockey games and will do the same during baseball season....:)

Yesterday I ordered a WI FI yesterday and it has Pandora. I have a Sony HD radio but the AM signals aren't clear.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#72 OFFLINE   pickledill78

pickledill78

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

THIS WAY OF THINKING is dangerous because having physical copies is the ONLY WAY to go, Services can go out of business, raise rates or content is removed and/or never added.

Which leaves the consumer out of lock with no options and money wasted, but this misinformed person is the norm these days like all providers do not want people owning copies they are slowly by direct and indirect way to digital distribution.

And with tv providers lacking having all channels and even if did they do not have all the shows people like (older than 1995 and if do they are heavily edited) same with digital distribution.

Lack of content and edited also + low quality (blu-ray and dvd has better quality) and the individual has control over what they watch and when.

This is the same deranged reason they will not allow Set Top Blu-Ray recorders in this country.

Of course the poster I am quoting thinks Chuck is a good show, shows his complete lack of sense as that show with 99.9% of today's show stink - reality and/or scripted.

DirecTV DISH and all providers (channels included_ have gone to showing nothing but 4or5 shows on 1 channels most days and have no real lineups left and VOD (all providers) is a joke cause it has only 1/100th of 1% of all shows ever made.

This company (and all others want) to slowly destroy choice of what we can watch on our terms with only owned equipment in our own hones with no need to connect to the internet.

Eventually only the elitist will own blu-rays and dvd's and be able to watch them, if you think I am full of crap look at all the other things everyday people had access to but no longer do.

Cars made solidly (do not crunch like a pop can) this is by older cars that they can afford (30s through 70s)

Meat that is not a chemical filled mess - they have pushed up the price to clean meat and years ago every regular person would be able to buy

and the list goes on and on .......

Excellent points !!! I see you got flamed and called a nut job. People do that when they want to discredit a person because they know the person is right and they can not counter their position with anything that can defeat the persons points made.

These posters here are lemmings / sheep who are too fooled by hype and marketing and the mentality of having to keep up with Jonses (getting the latest abandoning the best from the past)

They do not understand this digital distribution is just a way to make us overpay and not have control over what we paid to buy.

Well when I (and it appears you will as well) will be able to laugh at the dolts who rely on iPads / iPods / cell phones / internet connected to a TV / who get rid of their DVDs + Blu-Rays + records + old tube TVs / even computers ..... just to rely on hand held devices and digital distribution where stuff can removed at a moments notice and all you paid for is gone and you can not get it back.

The sheeple here probably also use non-stick cookware when if they had any sense they would be using with the best cookware ever cast iron cookware.. but what do you expect people do not think at all.

#73 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Excellent points !!! I see you got flamed and called a nut job. People do that when they want to discredit a person because they know the person is right and they can not counter their position with anything that can defeat the persons points made.

These posters here are lemmings / sheep who are too fooled by hype and marketing and the mentality of having to keep up with Jonses (getting the latest abandoning the best from the past)

They do not understand this digital distribution is just a way to make us overpay and not have control over what we paid to buy.

Well when I (and it appears you will as well) will be able to laugh at the dolts who rely on iPads / iPods / cell phones / internet connected to a TV / who get rid of their DVDs + Blu-Rays + records + old tube TVs / even computers ..... just to rely on hand held devices and digital distribution where stuff can removed at a moments notice and all you paid for is gone and you can not get it back.

The sheeple here probably also use non-stick cookware when if they had any sense they would be using with the best cookware ever cast iron cookware.. but what do you expect people do not think at all.

Posted Image
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#74 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 564 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

This guy and his cat agree.

Attached Thumbnails

• images.jpg

#75 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Posted Image

Is that cast iron :lol:
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#76 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Is that cast iron :lol:

Nope, I's 2 stoopud to youse that space agey technology.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#77 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,083 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

We cook with stainless steel. :lol:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#78 OFFLINE   rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

I listen to Pandora at night since the energy save feature will turn off my receiver and sleep timer turns off my tv. So now I can enjoy my comedy stations on Pandora while going night night and not have to worry about my tv juicing power all night. :)
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

3 HR24-100s owned
1 AM21 with cheap indoor multidirectional OTA
Slimline 5
WorldDirect
WHDVR with BB DECA

#79 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

It's a good feature to have, but I already get Pandora on my computer and retransmit it throughout my house using an FM transmitter, so in my case I don't really need it on Directv as well.

#80 OFFLINE   moob

moob

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

I had the same problem on my R22, but I cleared my vavram and it solved the problem.

The what and the who now? O_o I have an HR24-500.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...