Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How has Pandora changed your viewing habits?

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

I get that you'll not use Pandora, but I am most curious to know what the breakeven point is for you on bitrate? Or are you fully analog? If not, what gear, what combo of digital and analog?

Other than radio, all of my music is sourced through media player or Itunes. I have slowly been converting all of my ripped content to my itunes library so I can simply use my wifi ipod to play it anywhere I want. I almost certanily see an iPad or other tablet taking that role in the near future. Having the touch screen library is just too convenient. The media-share on the DVRs woud be great for this too, but it's just too prone to lock-up and other random issues to be useful.

As for quality, the break-even point is whatever bitrate it takes to allow for no perceptible loss in the music's detail. I've not really tried anything lower, but 128k files sound fine to me. But what I can't tolerate is the hollow sound and loss of detail when using the on-line services and even many of the XM stations (freakin' Boneyard is the worst). When listening for an hour or more, there are also almost always intermmittent stops and studders that I can't get past either. They always seem to happen during the best parts.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   boars314

boars314

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

Can anyone confirm that Pandora streams at the higher bit rate through Directv if you sign up for a Pandora One subscription?

#143 OFFLINE   TimG517

TimG517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

I have no internet connection to my 2 HR24's. My first installation guy didn't bring the home connection kit. Then I moved, and the next guy did not bring one. I would like to have that kit, and I understand it is free with an install.

#144 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

I have Pandora available on My Panasonic TV natively, On my HDDVR's with PlayOn, on my HDDVR's now directly through DirecTV, on my Panasonic BluRay, on my Western Digital Live box, on my Wii & and on my Xbox360 (both natively and through PlayOn).

So it has made no difference. :)

Same with me. I've been getting Pandora through my TV, BluRay, and PC. Getting it with DirecTV is just another convenience.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#145 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:53 AM

I have Pandora available on My Panasonic TV natively, On my HDDVR's with PlayOn, on my HDDVR's now directly through DirecTV, on my Panasonic BluRay, on my Western Digital Live box, on my Wii & and on my Xbox360 (both natively and through PlayOn).

So it has made no difference. :)

I'm getting Pandora via my iPad/iPhone/iPod when plugged into the cradle on my HEC, through my Roku and through my HR20-700. Not much change overall; I probably stream via my Roku more than my HR20, but I do use both.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#146 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Dud not affect me on viewing TV. As much as I like listening to radio stations I still look at TV. I have found other radio applications that receive many more radio stations than Pandora does,

#147 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Welcome addition!

I'd be surprised if DIRECTV® paid or pays a nickel for Pandora other than some dev. costs to install the software to make it possible.

I would hope that they are getting paid to include it on their DVRs. Any other financial arrangement where DIRECTV was paying Pandora would be an an extremely unwise expenditure. Pandora is a service that tries to make money (so far very unsuccessfully) by giving away the ability to access their service (most commonly on a computer) in the hopes that a subscriber will either listen to their commercial based service which is "paid for" by Pandora selling those listeners to commercial advertisers, or by selling a commercial free subscription to the listener. There is no good reason for DIRECTV to pay Pandora to help them increase their subscriber base and increase revenues for Pandora.

#148 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,722 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Dud not affect me on viewing TV. As much as I like listening to radio stations I still look at TV. I have found other radio applications that receive many more radio stations than Pandora does,

Why do you keep posting about what Pandora can and cannot do? Have you spent more than 5 minutes with it?

For starters, it doesn't "receive" radio stations. Wherever did you get that idea?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#149 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

THIS WAY OF THINKING is dangerous because having physical copies is the ONLY WAY to go, Services can go out of business, raise rates or content is removed and/or never added.

Which leaves the consumer out of lock with no options and money wasted, but this misinformed person is the norm these days like all providers do not want people owning copies they are slowly by direct and indirect way to digital distribution.

And with tv providers lacking having all channels and even if did they do not have all the shows people like (older than 1995 and if do they are heavily edited) same with digital distribution.

Lack of content and edited also + low quality (blu-ray and dvd has better quality) and the individual has control over what they watch and when.

This is the same deranged reason they will not allow Set Top Blu-Ray recorders in this country.

Of course the poster I am quoting thinks Chuck is a good show, shows his complete lack of sense as that show with 99.9% of today's show stink - reality and/or scripted.

DirecTV DISH and all providers (channels included_ have gone to showing nothing but 4or5 shows on 1 channels most days and have no real lineups left and VOD (all providers) is a joke cause it has only 1/100th of 1% of all shows ever made.

This company (and all others want) to slowly destroy choice of what we can watch on our terms with only owned equipment in our own hones with no need to connect to the internet.

Eventually only the elitist will own blu-rays and dvd's and be able to watch them, if you think I am full of crap look at all the other things everyday people had access to but no longer do.

Cars made solidly (do not crunch like a pop can) this is by older cars that they can afford (30s through 70s)

Meat that is not a chemical filled mess - they have pushed up the price to clean meat and years ago every regular person would be able to buy

and the list goes on and on .......

Just what we need, another nut job.

Better than a idiot like you who can't come up with an actual response to that post. Maybe you're just a shill for Pandora and other crappy third rate low quality entertainment options. Personally I think Pandora sucks, and judging from the report of their financials two days ago (and their stock losing 1/4 of its value the following day), evidently there is not near enough people who think otherwise to make it a viable business.

#150 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

Personally I think Pandora sucks, and judging from the report of their financials two days ago (and their stock losing 1/4 of its value the following day), evidently there is not near enough people who think otherwise to make it a viable business.

Well, considering the economy is not in wonderful shape, there are probably a lot of people out there that like it, listen to it, but just dont find the incentive to spend $36 to eliminate one or two 30 second commercials per hour.

Perhaps if they changed their free service to limit it to an hour per day per IP address, it might make it worth people ponying up $36. I did, just because I like the service and felt it was worthwhile.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#151 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Can anyone confirm that Pandora streams at the higher bit rate through Directv if you sign up for a Pandora One subscription?

No, it does not. It is 128kb AAC+ regardless. What you do get is no commercials, and longer playtime before the "Are you still listening" prompt.

Pandora One app on a computer is the only 192kb delivery.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#152 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

My 87 year old friend likes to listen to Classic Country and thinks this one on Pandora is better than channel 808 or similar Classic Country stations. He even says the sound quality is good or better than the 800's channels. I subscribed to Pandora so I don't get any of the advertisements on them. We also have iPad2 and iPod 4th gen so, thought subscription was a wise decision. In all honesty, Sunday mornings aren't really the only times we listen to Pandora.

#153 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

If I had D* connected to broadband I would use Pandora. When I had the app on my ipod I listened to it all the time. I unloaded a bunch of apps to make room for a trip and unfortunately never put it back. Maybe I'll put it back on now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...