Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are SD channels supposed to be THIS bad?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,772 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

Let's keep in mind there are a combination of factors that come into play when viewing SD on a HDTV. Compression, signal strength, TV size, viewing distance, one's vision, calibration, TV settings, receiver settings, video processing, cabling, source materials used by the broadcaster, ect. These are what determine the quality of SD.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

It definitely helps that its only a 42" tv...try a 55" or bigger....:nono2:

I don't think I'll ever want A TV that large :) 46" will definitely be my upper limit when I replace my TV in about 6-8 months.

#63 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,169 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

That's why I still have SD and find the quality from DirecTV to be excellent.

Excellence is a matter of perspective. If you had HD service, you probably wouldn't be saying this.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#64 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

It definitely helps that its only a 42" tv...try a 55" or bigger....:nono2:

Just like DirecTV HD (at $10 a month + commitment to get it) I can't afford anything bigger than a 42" set so I'm good to go in SD. ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#65 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Excellence is a matter of perspective. If you had HD service, you probably wouldn't be saying this.

Uh, guess what? I have a cute little antenna that picks up 1080i HD over the air from my local channels just fine. So I know all about how HD looks-in fact probably better HD than after it goes through DirecTV. And I'm STILL not giving them $10 a month and a 2 year commitment to get it!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#66 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

This thread has changed the way I have my DVR set up on my Panasonic plasma, and I think it makes the SD channels look better.

As I said upthread, I've used "Native On" and "Original Format" with on my DVR in the past. I also select all the resolutions on the DVR: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Except for obviously a 1080p movie, all of the upconverting was done by the Panasonic.

I haven't liked "Native Off" and "Pillar Box" because 720p broadcasts lost something after being upgraded by the DVR to 1080i (sorry, Maruuk).

Yesterday, I switched to the DVR to "Native On" and "Pillar Box", and I have only the 720p, 1080i and 1080p resolutions selected. That way, 1080i and 720p HD broadcasts are delivered in their native resolutions to the Panasonic, but SD broadcasts are now upconverted to 1080i by the DVR. I'd swear they look better.

A side benefit is the HD Guide now fills the entire screen even when watching SD broadcasts since only HD is sent from the DVR to the television. Plus since I have my television's aspect control on my Harmony remote, I can use "Zoom" to have the SD picture fill the screen if I have a windowboxed broadcast, with black bars on all four sides. I still like watching TCM, even in SD. I'd rather watch "Some Like It Hot" in widescreen SD than not watch it at all.

Here's an old dog who learned a new trick.

I trued pillar box & native on and my LG TV didn't like that setting at all! I had the TV set to display in whatever format the program was in. I tried watching Star Trek III (in SD) like that & I got a square picture. I set screen format back to "original format" and it looks the way it's supposed to again.
I did leave native set to on (My TV doesn't do any kind of upsacaling) but I haven't watched enough to be able to say if it made any difference or not.

This is definitely one of those things that every body is gonna have to play with for him/herself to find the best settings.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...