Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Front page login doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jca

jca

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

When logging in from the front page of dbstalk.com (either the top right login form or the lower column form), the site shows the "logging in" page redirect, then ends back at the front page without being logged in. If you then click on the forum link, the forum shows you as logged in.

It looks like the dbstalk front page install of vbAdvanced (?) is not making the login "stick", which may be a problem with the cookie setting in your vbAdvanced/vBulletin settings.

Anyone else having this problem or is there a previous thread about this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

When logging in from the front page of dbstalk.com (either the top right login form or the lower column form), the site shows the "logging in" page redirect, then ends back at the front page without being logged in. If you then click on the forum link, the forum shows you as logged in.

It looks like the dbstalk front page install of vbAdvanced (?) is not making the login "stick", which may be a problem with the cookie setting in your vbAdvanced/vBulletin settings.

Anyone else having this problem or is there a previous thread about this?

It's probably a corrupt cookie. You need to completely delete all DBSTalk cookies from your computer then login again.

#3 OFFLINE   jca

jca

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

It's probably a corrupt cookie. You need to completely delete all DBSTalk cookies from your computer then login again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried deleting all cookies (in Firefox/Mac), but it seemed to be only a temporary fix. The same problem immediately comes back, so that cookie problem seems to come back each time (for whatever reason).

#4 OFFLINE   kocuba

kocuba

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

I've had this problem for about a week now. Cleared Cookies and still happens.
Dave

HR20-700 connected to Zenith Z50PV220 50" Plasma, Networked, Native Off, OTA
HR20-700 Connected to Hitachi P42H401 42" Plasma, Networked, Native Off, OTA

#5 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

I have also had this problem. It started last week.

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

Could someone remind me where to find the cookies on Windows XP? I tried a Windows search and a quick look around Windows Explorer without success. No problems on this site, just want to do some selective purging instead of deleting them all.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:14 AM

Been awhile, but I believe its control panel, then internet options, then history, or browsing history or something like that. should have an option to delete.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried deleting all cookies (in Firefox/Mac), but it seemed to be only a temporary fix. The same problem immediately comes back, so that cookie problem seems to come back each time (for whatever reason).

I use Chrome for most of my DBSTalk participation, and sometimes Safari. (Mac)
Only problem I get occasionally is if I quit for a half hour or less, on relaunching, the posts I've recently read show up marked as unread.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

I believe this is a temporary issue. If you login (or if you think you are already logged in) click on the forums tab and you will probably see that you are logged in.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   jca

jca

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

Just speculation, but as I mentioned before, it could be a cookie setting (usually either set to blank or "/") in the vbulletin/vbadvanced admin settings.

It also looks like dbstalk.com cookies are not being properly carried via both "www.dbstalk.com" and "dbstalk.com" (no www. in front) urls for the site.

Since this can create a lot of problems (with cookies, penalized in Google search results, etc.), many sites use an .htaccess redirect to only use the url with or without the www. in front, but not both. Most sites remove the www.

If I visit both www.dbstalk.com and dbstalk.com, I see I'm logged into the front page on one, but not the other. Changing the site to remove the www. would probably fix the problem.

Adding this to the site's .htaccess file (with mod rewrite enabled) would remove all www.'s from urls:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.domain.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

That's some good info!

It's a little more complex than a cookie issue but we're on the trail of it now. :)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,163 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Seems to have been an issue with the eNom host DNS files where dbstalk.com was just being sent to the servers IP and then the server would just load dbstalk.com. As it was set, seeing we have everything set for cookies to use www it messed up. We where forcing the site to be www.dbstalk.com and that was lost in the eNom DNS setting.

So now forcing www. to happen here at the server side. So, well, should be ok now. (note I said "should". :))

Thanks Guys!

#13 OFFLINE   kocuba

kocuba

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Mine looks better now. Thanks
Dave

HR20-700 connected to Zenith Z50PV220 50" Plasma, Networked, Native Off, OTA
HR20-700 Connected to Hitachi P42H401 42" Plasma, Networked, Native Off, OTA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...