Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"You are not subscribed to Cloo"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

it's a small thing, but eventually enough small things like this make customers start to think about other options.....

We should always be considering other options. It's our money to decide with and sometimes other providers are better.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

And we could have lost more. We certainly were close with Sprout. Members with young children were upset about that one, but they were able to resolve it near the end.

#43 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

We should always be considering other options. It's our money to decide with and sometimes other providers are better.

I'm not going to switch over one channel, especially a crappy one like Cloo. I doubt anyone else in their right mind will either. The point is charging more for less is a horrible business strategy.

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 13 February 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

No, I'm complaining about the fact that D* can raise the prices but take away channels whenever they want. :mad::mad::mad:

Although I don't like rate hikes or channels being dropped, I think you and I have been around long enough to know it happens. I only stress about channels being dropped, when its a channel I really desire. Like when they dropped Versus a while back. Which eventually came back and turned into NBC Sports. When I had cable, they did the same thing. And when they dropped NFLN, I bolted. So you either live with it or you decide it is important enough to make the switch.

Edited by RACJ2, 13 February 2012 - 05:23 PM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#45 OFFLINE   DaveC27

DaveC27

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'm not going to switch over one channel, especially a crappy one like Cloo. I doubt anyone else in their right mind will either. The point is charging more for less is a horrible business strategy.

A bit of a Devil's Alternative they could have charged even more to keep it at the same. As you say earlier it's a poor channel and I'd rather pay more for less than even more for something I don;t particularly want

#46 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ask AT&T. Two years ago, $30 bought unlimited data to an iPhone. Now, $30 brings you 3GB of data and $10 for each addl gig. Phone upgrades used to be $18. They just jacked it to $36. No difference in what they do to upgrade your phone, just double the price.

Companies do this all the time. They test the lines of how much their customers are willing to pay vs. the profit they want to stay in business. There really is no point in trying to figure out the why's and wherefore's...we'll never know the reasons.

Fortunately, you have options..

Stay and complain
Quit service and join another provider
Stay and enjoy what you have...

#47 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

A bit of a Devil's Alternative they could have charged even more to keep it at the same. As you say earlier it's a poor channel and I'd rather pay more for less than even more for something I don;t particularly want

The term is "playing Devil's Advocate" and if I pay more I want to receive more not less. If they take away a channel they should lower the price not raise it.

#48 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Although I don't like rate hikes or channels being dropped, I think you and I have been around long enough to know it happens. I only stress about channels being dropped, when its a channel I really desire. Like when they dropped Versus a while back. Which eventually came back and turned into NBC Sports. When I had cable, they did the same thing. And when they dropped NFLN, I bolted. So you either live with it or you decide it is important enough to make the switch.

Someone has actually dropped the NFL Network? Really? I'd never heard that one.

#49 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

D*'s (unofficial) motto should be "what can we do to keep you as a customer?", not "if you don't like us, leave."

#50 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

D*'s (unofficial) motto should be "what can we do to keep you as a customer?", not "if you don't like us, leave."

When you are arguably the best sat company around, you do what you want, and if you feel it hurts the bottom line too much by losing a few subscribers more than you bargained for, you change it....but not until then. I'd tell customers that whine too much to go pound sand, we'll go get 100 more. Individual customers have little effect, it has to be a mass revolt to get any reaction as it should be. I've apparently had CLOO this whole time and have never tuned to it once...

#51 OFFLINE   DaveC27

DaveC27

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

The term is "playing Devil's Advocate" and if I pay more I want to receive more not less. If they take away a channel they should lower the price not raise it.

Nope they're two different phrases, "Devil's Advocate" is someone who takes a contrary argument they may not necessarily believe in but does so in order to provide a counter balance to a discussion"

However, "The Devil's Alternative" apart from being a book by Frederick Forsyth is when you have to choose between two bad decisions and thus you have to decide on the lesser of two evils

Thus when I said it was a Devil's Alternative the choice by DTV was whether they should charge you more and take a channel away or charge you even more and leave you with the channel

#52 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

When you are arguably the best sat company around, you do what you want, and if you feel it hurts the bottom line too much by losing a few subscribers more than you bargained for, you change it....but not until then. I'd tell customers that whine too much to go pound sand, we'll go get 100 more. Individual customers have little effect, it has to be a mass revolt to get any reaction as it should be. I've apparently had CLOO this whole time and have never tuned to it once...

+1

Bitching about cloo is ironically, clueless.:lol:

So is expecting your price to drop for the loss of said channel.

If you don't like it, switch.

Edited by davidatl14, 14 February 2012 - 10:00 AM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#53 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

+1

Bitching about cloo is ironically, clueless.:lol:

So is expecting your price to drop for the loss of said channel.

If you don't like it, switch.

Why is it clueless? If people actually liked that channel why can't they complain? Perhaps it was the favorite channel of some. It's not mine, I've never seen it. However its very condescending to say someone can't be upset and complain about losing a channel that might be the most watched one in their house for all you know. If GSN had been shot up to the most expensive package I'd be a little upset and probably complaining about that myself.

#54 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Why is it clueless? If people actually liked that channel why can't they complain? Perhaps it was the favorite channel of some. It's not mine, I've never seen it. However its very condescending to say someone can't be upset and complain about losing a channel that might be the most watched one in their house for all you know. If GSN had been shot up to the most expensive package I'd be a little upset and probably complaining about that myself.

My mistake, a little more context,

Talking about cloo still being available if you want it. For the record I have a family member(son) that is a fan of said network.

Channel still available, you can upgrade package, choose not to upgrade or switch providers.

Just vote with your wallet and not the "squeaky wheel" mantra

I do understand to a minimal degree the fans venting about cloo being moved within packages, much more than the old "Rallying cry of the bitter" with the queries about price dropping for Channel being removed.

Much more the latter group that should be target of scorn and derision.:nono2:
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#55 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

That makes no sense. Fox doesn't own Cloo, NBCUniversal does.

It was an example. So, yes it does make sense. Like others have pointed out. You have gotten other channels added with no additional cost at the time they where added.

#56 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

That is everyone's motto.

Edited by mhayes70, 14 February 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Okay so fewer channels should mean my bill should be lower right? Cuz it wasn't. :mad:

Oh, no. The bill went UP $3 a month and you now get FEWER channels!! (No more NASA or BABY unless you have HD, no more CCTV9 unless you have an international dish, no more CLOO unless you open your wallet to the tune of $6 a month and get ULTIMATE, etc.)

I wonder what channel will be removed (or used to get people to upgrade to a higher package or HD) next??

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#58 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,260 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Had to call Directv about something and noted there's a menu choice about losing the CLOO channel. Obviously they received a ton of calls on this one. Had to re-do the menu tree for it.

#59 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:28 AM

Had to call Directv about something and noted there's a menu choice about losing the CLOO channel. Obviously they received a ton of calls on this one. Had to re-do the menu tree for it.

With 19 million customers even 1% calling in is 190k calls and I'd bet more than that watched Cloo. As this impacted all customers on a specific date a new call option to route someone to an agent the fastest would increase help time in all call types and centers as people wouldn't get sent to the wrong department and then be transferred around. This was a proactive move more than reactive.

#60 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

With 19 million customers even 1% calling in is 190k calls and I'd bet more than that watched Cloo. As this impacted all customers on a specific date a new call option to route someone to an agent the fastest would increase help time in all call types and centers as people wouldn't get sent to the wrong department and then be transferred around. This was a proactive move more than reactive.

I doubt Cloo has 200k viewers total.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...