Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"You are not subscribed to Cloo"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Okay so fewer channels should mean my bill should be lower right? Cuz it wasn't. :mad:

Actually, no. Flawed logic on your part.

Look at the new XTRA package they launched and it has something like 7 or 8 channels you still have. That's what they could have taken away from you and charged what they are charging for that new package. Instead, they took one channel from you.

Just because you have less channels doesn't mean the rates for everything else doesn't demand they charge more. ESPN raised their prices on them January 1st, did DTV get MORE ESPN? No they didn't. Your coca-cola moniker. When I have to pay more for my coke in a can, am I getting an extra ounce of coke? No I'm not.

You cannot equate the number of channels with your price, that is flawed logic because the prices of some other channels may have risen in cost far more than you know.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

I doubt Cloo has 200k viewers total.

Having been in this industry for years, you are right. This is such a minor blip for DTV it's funny. Sure, they'll get some calls from some customers who need their Monk fix or Murder She Wrote or Charlie's Angels. The number is such a small percentage. We're talking half of half of 1% type numbers. Conversely, I'll bet they got those that complained to upgrade to Ultimate so they're making it up on the back end.

#63 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Actually, no. Flawed logic on your part.

Look at the new XTRA package they launched and it has something like 7 or 8 channels you still have. That's what they could have taken away from you and charged what they are charging for that new package. Instead, they took one channel from you.

Just because you have less channels doesn't mean the rates for everything else doesn't demand they charge more. ESPN raised their prices on them January 1st, did DTV get MORE ESPN? No they didn't. Your coca-cola moniker. When I have to pay more for my coke in a can, am I getting an extra ounce of coke? No I'm not.

You cannot equate the number of channels with your price, that is flawed logic because the prices of some other channels may have risen in cost far more than you know.

No, your logic is flawed. When you pay more for ESPN you actually get more, not in quantity exactly but more so in quality. The ESPN family has dozens of original shows and tons of live sports every single night, all in HD, so I don't mind when they ask for a small rate increase. Cloo on the other hand is nothing but off-network reruns of old crime dramas and it doesn't even broadcast in HD anywhere. Why does D* think we should pay extra for it???

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 16 February 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

No, your logic is flawed. When you pay more for ESPN you actually get more, not in quantity exactly but more so in quality. The ESPN family has dozens of original shows and tons of live sports every single night, all in HD, so I don't mind when they ask for a small rate increase. Cloo on the other hand is nothing but off-network reruns of old crime dramas and it doesn't even broadcast in HD anywhere. Why does D* think we should pay extra for it???

No, his logic is not flawed.

It is called inflation. It happens everywhere. A box of cookies. The price goes up and the amount in the box goes down.

Let's use eggs as an example. A restaurant charges $4 for three eggs. The price of eggs to them goes up 50 cents an egg. They want to keep their profit level, which is $3 for the order. They could pass the full charge onto you and charge $5.50 for three eggs or they could cut the standard order down to 2 and charge $4.70.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#65 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

With 19 million customers even 1% calling in is 190k calls and I'd bet more than that watched Cloo. As this impacted all customers on a specific date a new call option to route someone to an agent the fastest would increase help time in all call types and centers as people wouldn't get sent to the wrong department and then be transferred around. This was a proactive move more than reactive.

The real issue isn't that Cloo was removed it's that Directv did a poor job of communicating with its customer base on the changes. Historically it was merely a price increase. So a few dollars more each year and nothing else changed.

This time Directv reworked many packages. And in the process disco'd many grandfathered ones and put people in similar ones. With little or no advance notice.

So unless one was an avid reader of dbstalk, the advance communication was a 3"x7" bill insert that was difficult to comprehend. Particularly with the package changes on the back.

If you called a CSR before Feb. 9 on the TC+ changes, they said "you won't lose anything". I tried this on 2 different days. Even after i saw Cloo was disappearing on dbstalk, they denied it was going away.

If you went to the Directv website before Feb. 9, there was no info whatsoever. The packages were kept a secret until some leaked on other sat sites a few days earlier.

And then on Feb. 9, the website was wrong. It showed that my new package includes 11 channels. And even today, it shows 11 channels.

I'm not rallying against Directv. Quite the opposite as I am a loyal fan. But this could have been done so much better. It was wrapped in too much secrecy and the web still isn't right a week later. I suspect that is generating alot of calls.

#66 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

The real issue isn't that Cloo was removed it's that Directv did a poor job of communicating with its customer base on the changes. Historically it was merely a price increase. So a few dollars more each year and nothing else changed.

This time Directv reworked many packages. And in the process disco'd many grandfathered ones and put people in similar ones. With little or no advance notice.

So unless one was an avid reader of dbstalk, the advance communication was a 3"x7" bill insert that was difficult to comprehend. Particularly with the package changes on the back.

If you called a CSR before Feb. 9 on the TC+ changes, they said "you won't lose anything". I tried this on 2 different days. Even after i saw Cloo was disappearing on dbstalk, they denied it was going away.

If you went to the Directv website before Feb. 9, there was no info whatsoever. The packages were kept a secret until some leaked on other sat sites a few days earlier.

And then on Feb. 9, the website was wrong. It showed that my new package includes 11 channels. And even today, it shows 11 channels.

I'm not rallying against Directv. Quite the opposite as I am a loyal fan. But this could have been done so much better. It was wrapped in too much secrecy and the web still isn't right a week later. I suspect that is generating alot of calls.

Actually every customer that received CLOO received notification of the CLOO change on their bill announcing the change to the new package effective February 9th.

Actually, on the website as well notifications of the change have been there since January 9th... the CLOO change was announced at the directv website.

http://news.directv....ine-up-changes/

http://news.directv....hannel-updates/

It may very well be that directv.com still has an incorrect listing of channels today, could you point them out. That way they can be fixed.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 17 February 2012 - 12:39 AM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#67 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Actually every customer that received CLOO received notification of the CLOO change on their bill announcing the change to the new package effective February 9th.

Actually, on the website as well notifications of the change have been there since January 9th... the CLOO change was announced at the directv website.

It may very well be that directv.com still has an incorrect listing of channels today, could you point them out. That way they can be fixed.

I don't receive a bill from Direct TV. My bill comes bundled onto my Century Link bill, along with my cell phone, internet and phone. There was not anything on that bill regarding the loss of CLOO. I also went to the website, and did not see anything on the home page, nor anything directing me to a portion of the website discussing the loss of CLOO. The only reason I knew in advance, was due to this forum.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#68 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

SR, thanks for dropping in here and also for disclosing to dbstalk originally all the changes. Like I said, not upset with the increase, just surprised at the lack of clear info to customers outside of this site.

Only thing in my bill was the 3x7 small insert. On the back was a bit of a listing of old/new packages but nothing explaining exactly what was happening. Can't seem to locate anything about a Before/After comparison.

Your link to the website to the news page isn't really a disclosure to customers. It might meet a legal definition but in all fairness the public doesn't understand the progression of packages from CE, CE classic, Choice, Choice Ultimate etc. Particularly since many including the Entertainment package weren't on the website to view. They weren't on the Programming web pages with the new listings until Feb. 9.

Ideally, an old/new column comparison could have been there. No doubt it existed as I suppose your Marketing/Programming teams had those in various powerpoint forms for internal review with management.

Attached is a snapshot of my complete listing for CE Classic. If you need more info, please PM me.

Again, thanks for all you do and share with us and hope the suggestions help you and Directv in return.

Attached Thumbnails

• CE Classic.JPG

#69 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

I get a similar listing for Classic.

PBS Kids Sprout 295

CW (CW) 25
WCET (PBS) 48
WCPO 9
WCVN (PBS) 54
WKRC (CBS) 12
WLWT (NBC) 5
WPTO (PBS) 14
WSTR (MNT) 64
WXIX 19

#70 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

SR, thanks for dropping in here and also for disclosing to dbstalk originally all the changes. Like I said, not upset with the increase, just surprised at the lack of clear info to customers outside of this site.

Only thing in my bill was the 3x7 small insert. On the back was a bit of a listing of old/new packages but nothing explaining exactly what was happening. Can't seem to locate anything about a Before/After comparison.

Your link to the website to the news page isn't really a disclosure to customers. It might meet a legal definition but in all fairness the public doesn't understand the progression of packages from CE, CE classic, Choice, Choice Ultimate etc. Particularly since many including the Entertainment package weren't on the website to view. They weren't on the Programming web pages with the new listings until Feb. 9.

Ideally, an old/new column comparison could have been there. No doubt it existed as I suppose your Marketing/Programming teams had those in various powerpoint forms for internal review with management.

Attached is a snapshot of my complete listing for CE Classic. If you need more info, please PM me.

Again, thanks for all you do and share with us and hope the suggestions help you and Directv in return.

No problem, hopefully I didn't come off as snarky. :)

All fair points you have raised, let me try and answer a few. The reason the changes weren't up on the programming web pages prior to the 9th is because the new packages hadn't launched yet. If we put up the new packages prior to launch, you can imagine customers call in to purchase them but the agents have no way of processing those orders. It's been tried in the past and generally leads to some chaos.

In terms of the bill, I've attached another communication of how customers were notified (see link below). There were multiple forms (web, bill, etc). Keep in mind that many customers were totally unaffected and you don't want to communicate to a group of customers that are not affected at all which is why broad, general tactics are generally not used because then customers may wonder if it affects them when it doesn't. Not everyone has email, so that's always the best solution either. Typically there is a mix of communications, targeted, in a number of ways to communicate to the customer...email, bill, directv.com, etc. Hope that makes sense.

http://i42.tinypic.com/igvqmq.jpg

Now, as to your Choice XTRA Classic situation online, that's puzzling. So when you go to directv.com is that all you are seeing for your channel listing? Just those handful of channels tied to your account? If you don't mind, PM me as I'd like to get some account information and see if the .com team can do some testing to see what might be going on.

Thanks
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#71 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Why can't people upset with this post something on DirecTV's Facebook page. A post from an unstable customer will definitely elicit change.

#72 OFFLINE   DaveC27

DaveC27

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Why can't people upset with this post something on DirecTV's Facebook page. A post from an unstable customer will definitely elicit change.

After all it worked for all those angry G4 viewers :D

#73 OFFLINE   scb147

scb147

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

I get a similar listing for Classic.

PBS Kids Sprout 295

CW (CW) 25
WCET (PBS) 48
WCPO 9
WCVN (PBS) 54
WKRC (CBS) 12
WLWT (NBC) 5
WPTO (PBS) 14
WSTR (MNT) 64
WXIX 19

My lineup shows this:
PBS Kids Sprout 295
CW (CW) 36
WFXP (FOX) 66
WICU (NBC) 12
WJET (ABC) 24
WQLN (PBS) 54
WSEE (CBS) 35

I get a total of one of those channels, PBS Kids Sprout. I live in the Youngstown, OH local market, and that is what I have on my receivers. But the online channel guide says I receive the Erie, PA local market.

#74 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

After all it worked for all those angry G4 viewers :D

Moms of young children are out in force with their form letter posts regarding Disney Junior. Some are just crazy in trying to justify their desire for a channel that doesn't exist.

#75 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Closed per OP request. However, if anyone would like to continue the current discussion (OT for this thread), start a new thread and I'll move some posts if need be.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...