Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Height clearance for sat. Dish?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Just got Directv installed 2 days ago. My Landlord came by, took one look at the dish and says he want's it moved up higher. He say's there's a building code that the dish must have a certain head clearance over a walkway? It's mounted on the side of the building, and there is a walkway that goes to the 2nd entrance. The installer didn't want to use a ladder, you can just walk right up to the dish and your face-to-face with it.

Will it cost anything to have it moved up? I agree that it is pretty low, but it's otherwise a good/neat install. The lowest signal strength I have is a 97, highest is 100.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   krazyrs

krazyrs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

1 story or 2?

It can't be too high if there is a overhang above it as it will block out the signal
SWiM
HR24-500/HR24-500 - HDMI - Samsung 46" LCD TV
HR24-500 - HDMI - Dynex 32" LCD TV
HR24-500 - HDMI - Vizio 19" LED LCD TV
CCK - Charter - 30mbps down/ 4mbps up

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,006 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

If the installer left you his phone number, call him directly (rather than DirecTV) and ask if he can move the dish based on your Landlord's requirement.

#4 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

If you allowed him to install it there then expect a charge of $49 to have it moved. Calling the installer will most likely get you nothing. You should call DTV and explain you thought it was ok to have it there but landlord doesnt like it they will set you up an upgrade for $49 to have it moved.

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

...there is a walkway that goes to the 2nd entrance. The installer didn't want to use a ladder, you can just walk right up to the dish and you're face-to-face with it.

Laziness, combined with an obvious lack of common sense will always result in less than satisfactory results.

Edited by Nick, 13 February 2012 - 10:47 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   ds2992

ds2992

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

call the installer if you can and then if that is no go call dtv. the holes left in the wall will be your problem to deal with as you approved the install. caulk ussually is the fix for them.

#7 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Quote:
...there is a walkway that goes to the 2nd entrance. The installer didn't want to use a ladder, you can just walk right up to the dish and you're face-to-face with it.

Laziness, combined with an obvious lack of common sense will always result in less than satisfactory results.

Did I spell something wrong? Last time I checked, "you're" is correct. So, the installer is lazy and I have no common sense?

#8 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

It's a 3 story apartment building. I don't have the installers number, so I'll have to call DIRECTV. I don't care that it's low, infact the other buildings on my street have the dishes at the same height, so my Landlord can pay the $49 to have it moved, as far as I'm concerned.

#9 OFFLINE   Tribbs

Tribbs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Just got Directv installed 2 days ago. My Landlord came by, took one look at the dish and says he want's it moved up higher. He say's there's a building code that the dish must have a certain head clearance over a walkway? It's mounted on the side of the building, and there is a walkway that goes to the 2nd entrance.[...]

If there is a public walkway under the dish then there is very likely a building code for clearance. It applies to most any protusion from a building over a walkway not just for a dish. Call your local building inspector dept.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...