Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hockey Day in America and NHLCI

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hockey Day in America is 2/19. NBC has 3 games at 12:30, Pit @ Buf, SJ @ Det, Stl @ Chi. Locally here they are showing SJ @ Det. I want to see Pit @ Buf. Currently the NHLCI D* schedule doesn't have any 12:30 games. If that's accurate, this will be the first time in years I haven't received a Pens game while being a subscriber. I have had NHLCI for over a decade, and I'm only not saying first time ever since I can't remember for sure.

Does anyone know how it worked last year? If this is how Hockey Day in America is going to work each year, they can keep the concept in Canada.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   d2001dstanley

d2001dstanley

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

None of those games will be in the Center Ice or GameCenter Live packages. In order to watch the Pittsburgh - Buffalo contest in your market, you will have to go online to nbcsports.com for it. This is the exact way it worked last year and the way that I have read it will work this year. All of the contests will be streamed nationally during that window.

#3 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

NBC games have not been part of Center Ice for some years now. It wasn't really an issue until they started HDIA. At least there is an option to see the games out of market online (unlike Fox's MLB coverage).

#4 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Cool. That's better than nothing.

#5 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

But NBC games used to be part of Center Ice a couple of years ago, I remember quite well.

#6 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

I know ABCs regional games were on CI back when they had the NHL.

#7 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

It is counter intuitive for NBC, the NHL's broadcast partner, to restrict coverage on the very day they are celebrating it.

Also, it's surprising NBC did not ask Dallas to move their game v. Nashville back 2 hours so they could boast 12 straight hours of coverage on their networks.

Finally, we should laugh at - and celebrate - the irony of the hopelessly worthless NHL Network having absolutely zero to do with the "biggest" day of hockey in America!

Edited by cmasia, 12 February 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

This:

It is counter intuitive for NBC, the NHL's broadcast partner, to restrict coverage on the very day they are celebrating it.

#9 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

But NBC games used to be part of Center Ice a couple of years ago, I remember quite well.

A few years back when NBC had games on Saturdays, I remember seeing them on NHL CI. There would be 3 games featured and you would get one of them on your local NBC affiliate. The other 2 would then be carried on NHL CI. Since they came out with Hockey Day in America, they have used the format that has been mentioned, stream the other games.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Also, it's surprising NBC did not ask Dallas to move their game v. Nashville back 2 hours so they could boast 12 straight hours of coverage on their networks.

Finally, we should laugh at - and celebrate - the irony of the hopelessly worthless NHL Network having absolutely zero to do with the "biggest" day of hockey in America!

I'd hardly call this the "biggest" day. This is a made for TV marketing event created by NBC. And a half-hearted one at that. Its no Hockey Day in Canada. There aren't many events going on nationally that NBC will be covering. Heck, even most states don't acknowledge this as the biggest day. Minnesota, Michigan and Massachusetts all had their "Hockey Day in.." back in January. Technically, its not even Hockey Day. USA Hockey labels it "Hockey Weekend in America" to spread out the buzz.

What's more ironic is that for the second year in a row, HDIA will feature a Canadian team. Last year, it was the Heritage Classic. This year, NBCSP is showing Montreal.

#11 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

How are you guys so sure the games won't be on CI? They maybe just haven't shown up yet. Pretty poor move of the NHL if they don't show up.

#12 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

How are you guys so sure the games won't be on CI? They maybe just haven't shown up yet. Pretty poor move of the NHL if they don't show up.

The guide for D* is already populated for HDIA and the alternate games are not there. At the very least as there are only 2 games not being shown, they could put one on NBC sports (nee versus) and the other on NHL Net. And yes, until a few years ago they had three games on Saturday and they were all available on CI, they just blacked out the one you did not get locally. Until last year I do not recall any weekend when NBC had more than one game.

#13 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

From http://puckthemedia....day-in-america/

NBCSports.com will once again be the exclusive place to watch the 12:30 p.m. ET games on Hockey Day in America that are not available in your market. Game Center Live and NHL Center Ice will not be available for those games, and NBCSports.com will be the only place to see them. NBC employed a similar strategy last year.

Also, In Demand (who does a MUCH better job listing the upcoming NHL CI schedule) has none of the HDIC games listed.

Incidentally, back when NBC had regional action on a weekly basis, their games were on Center Ice but were SD only IIRC.

#14 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

OK I'm convinced :D

That is pretty ridiculous of the NHL/NBC to not allow these. Now I am afraid they will pull this crap during the playoffs.

#15 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

During the playoffs, they will televise all games nationally using the NBC, the NBC Sports Network, the NBC Sports Network alternate channel, and other NBC-owned networks (USA, etc). In other words, everyone will be able to see every playoff game on TV.

#16 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

During the playoffs, they will televise all games nationally using the NBC, the NBC Sports Network, the NBC Sports Network alternate channel, and other NBC-owned networks (USA, etc). In other words, everyone will be able to see every playoff game on TV.

I am pretty sure that starts at round two, I think teams will be responsible for televising many of the first round games.

#17 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

OK I'm convinced :D

That is pretty ridiculous of the NHL/NBC to not allow these. Now I am afraid they will pull this crap during the playoffs.

For people who don't have NHL CI, they see this as a positive. The opportunity to see 2 NHL games that are not televised locally, via streaming video. So they can watch the local game on TV and an alternate game on their laptop via wireless connection. As NHL CI subscribers, you and I are just looking at it from a different perspective.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#18 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

I am pretty sure that starts at round two, I think teams will be responsible for televising many of the first round games.

The deal includes all playoff games, however only round 2 and beyond is exclusive. I think this means that the first round will still be televised to viewers not in the local DMA.

#19 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

The deal includes all playoff games, however only round 2 and beyond is exclusive. I think this means that the first round will still be televised to viewers not in the local DMA.

ALL playoff games will be on NBC, MSNBC, NBCSP, and NHL Network.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#20 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:18 AM

Anyone know the resolution of these streaming feeds? Is it even worth hooking my laptop up to my projector?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...