Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Had VIP922 for about 2 years - Side by Side Comparison with DirecTV's HR24

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

I have had a VIP922 for almost two years and have really enjoyed it. The fan died in the first one I had after a year and it was replaced by Dish with a new VIP922. I stuck an external fan on the new VIP922 so it wouldn't die like the first one if the internal fan quit.

All of my promos were ending this month, so I switched to DirecTV this weekend.

I never had the chance to do a side by side comparison in the past, but the very knowledgeable installer left the Dish system installed and ran new cabling for the DirecTV system.

Picture Quality: side by side comparison on my Sony KDS-60A2000, using ESPN, CNN and HBO as the source, there was very little difference in the picture. I've said this before and I'll say it again, the two are different - and I prefer DirecTV's picture quality, but it's a subtle difference between the two.

Audio Quality: side by side comparison on my Sony KDS-60A2000 and a couple of external speakers powered by a small amplifier. The difference here was night and day - the Dish audio sounded thin with not much separation compared to the DirecTV audio.

I was surprised. Subtle difference in picture quality, knock your socks off difference in audio quality.

The VIP922 feeds the Sony via HDMI, and two other wide screen TV's via coax - not high def, but wide screen, it has worked with the cabling that was already installed here and has been adequate.

The HR24 is the "whole home DVR". There is a small (H25-100) receiver at each of the other two HDTV's so all three have access to live HD programming for the first time.

And you can play a recorded program from the HR24 at the main TV or either of the other two TV's.

You can also set up recordings from all three TV's, although the actual recording takes place on the main HR24.

I'll pull the plug on Dish this week but I must say it's been a good run with Dish. Quite a few promos and no commitment.

Two year commitment with DirecTV but ALL of the equipment was free, as was the installation of the DirecTV dish.

Take care y'all!
-GA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

so you are a promotions chaser :eek2:

#3 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

so you are a promotions chaser :eek2:

I've been unemployed for 17 months so I'm chasing the lowest prices for everything we have or do. :D
-GA

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,843 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Umm, did you compare to HR34 actually ?

#5 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Umm, did you compare to HR34 actually ?

No, actually HR24-100. It's what the label on the receiver says.

The DirecTV whole home DVR setup is light years above and beyond the VIP922. Although the Hopper and Joey may come close.

Edited by l8er, 14 February 2012 - 08:25 AM.
Corrected for Joey

-GA

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,843 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Initially I thought you got five tuners HR34 ...

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

No, actually HR24-100. It's what the label on the receiver says.

The DirecTV whole home DVR setup is light years above and beyond the VIP922. Although the The Hopper and The Jimmy may come close.

It's Hopper&Joey?;)

That can actually beat the HR34 because of PTAT,for 3 hours every night it can record 7 programs at one time(while watching a prerecorded program).:eek2:

And when you combine the 922 with the MT2(Dual Over The Air Tuners Module) along with the builtin Sling and the other features, it's nothing short of WOW! at least to me it is.:D

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

When I switched I noticed some of the same you did. Picture quality different, not necessarily better and it is subtle. But the audio is much better with D*.

But you really can't compare the whole home parts of the HR24 to the Vip922 since the 922 was never a whole home HD solution and wasn't meant to be.

Rumors are strong that the Dish Hopper/Joey will start shipping by the middle of March, so we should start seeing some comparisons from actual users shortly after that, especially if some existing users here get them.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...