Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with new SWM install?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

We recently moved to a new house. At the new house, the installer put in a SWM dish feeding our HR20-700. At the old house we had a Slimline5 feeding that DVR plus our old HR10-250.

Ever since, we've been having trouble with partial recordings and empty recordings. Sometimes there's a 771 error on screen saying tuner 1 is not working. Since either a system test or reboot always seemed to fix the issue, I've assumed it was a firmware problem.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time in the Sat signal strength screen. I mainly checked signals on the 103© sats. In general, tuner 2 was all 94+ signals and they populated fast and at an even pace. However, tuner 1 was more like 89+ and the numbers would often come up slowly. If it was really slow, some xponders would show 0 for signal strength.

Before I call in to D* tech support, does this info lead anyone here to a particular diagnosis? Is it a bad power inserter or LNB assembly?

Thanks a lot,
- LoopinFool

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   krazyrs

krazyrs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

do you have a 2nd receiver?
can hook it up to tuner 1 line and check signal, then move to tuner 2 line and recheck

if not can swap inputs on the back of the hr20 and recheck signal, if it stays on the line its a problem in it, if it stays with the tuner it may be the receiver

ive had a reroll and a new hr24 because tuner2 died overnight, and seen stranger things just from older receivers just being moved from point A to point B in a move
SWiM
HR24-500/HR24-500 - HDMI - Samsung 46" LCD TV
HR24-500 - HDMI - Dynex 32" LCD TV
HR24-500 - HDMI - Vizio 19" LED LCD TV
CCK - Charter - 30mbps down/ 4mbps up

#3 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Umm, SWM setup. One cable.
And this is my only SWM-compatible receiver.

- LoopinFool

#4 OFFLINE   krazyrs

krazyrs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

have you done repeat sat setup under satellite settings?
makin sure its on #17/SWIM/Dual

it would redownload after completing the settings

also can try a to force newer firmware by hittin the red reset button, and as soon as the reciever lights come back on hit 0,2,4,6,8 on the remote

should bring up a searching for new firmware and a download bar
SWiM
HR24-500/HR24-500 - HDMI - Samsung 46" LCD TV
HR24-500 - HDMI - Dynex 32" LCD TV
HR24-500 - HDMI - Vizio 19" LED LCD TV
CCK - Charter - 30mbps down/ 4mbps up

#5 OFFLINE   ds2992

ds2992

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

hr20 is POS. call tech back say reciever isn't working hell set up an nc truck roll and do a service swap to a new hr 24. Then burn the hr 20 in a very hot fire.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,651 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

That's both wrong and shamefully irresponsible. The HR20 I have is rock solid, a tad slower than the HR24, but not worth lying about.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,651 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

have you done repeat sat setup under satellite settings?
makin sure its on #17/SWIM/Dual

it would redownload after completing the settings

also can try a to force newer firmware by hittin the red reset button, and as soon as the reciever lights come back on hit 0,2,4,6,8 on the remote

should bring up a searching for new firmware and a download bar

That is not good advice, the part about just forcing a download: Lots of things can go bad there. The first part is fine on settings.

Best of luck, Loopin'!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   robq391

robq391

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Double check to make sure that the coax is feeding the SWM input of your HR20.

Double check that your setup is correct in your receiver settings.

If both are correct, unplug your HR20 (if I followed you, this is the only receiver you're running) , unplug your SWM PI,wait a bit, plug PI back in, give it a bit to boot your lnb and then plug your HR20 back in.

Worth a try before going any further. Good luck.

#9 OFFLINE   ds2992

ds2992

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Ii have seen these receivers do this before. It is a failure of the machine either software or hardware in dealing with its new swim interface it cannot keep contact with the swim channels. Almost always the receiver is swapped out. certainly try the other suggestions, however dont wait to long to get it replaced if you need to.

#10 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Is all of the cabling on your new installation new? If so, there aren't likely to be any in-line components causing issues. Otherwise, that might be a place to look.
Another possibility is that since you previously didn't use the SWiM capability in your HR20, you might not have known that it was actually defective the whole time :lol:
There's a possibility that it's the SWiMLNB, that's certainly not out of the question.

I recommend calling in asap to get a no-charge rollback. The tech should be able to tell pretty quickly where the issue is coming from with the correct tools.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#11 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Yep. Everything is brand new except the HR20. Correct that it's never been connected to a SWiM before and I already thought about the "always been defective" possibility. The installer was very good and even participates here at DBSTalk.

I will double-check the sat setup, but I'm quite sure it's right. I'm happy to do a full system re-boot as suggested. I'll re-check the signal strengths after all that. If there are still anomalies I'll call D* immediately.

Thanks for the help. I posted here in case the symptoms were completely familiar to someone who could say, "Bad power inserter" or something like that.

I hate, hate, hate that we can't transfer recordings to a new box, even on eSATA. I do hope we don't need a new receiver. But if we do, I'm shooting for an HR34. We retired our other two tuners along with the HR10-250 for the new SWiM setup.

Thanks again everyone,
- LoopinFool

#12 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

...I do hope we don't need a new receiver. But if we do, I'm shooting for an HR34...

They would not swap an HR20 for an HR34.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#13 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

They would not swap an HR20 for an HR34.

Of course not. But if we need a new DVR anyway, it may be time to upgrade and get more tuners again. We'll need an AM21 either way.

- LoopinFool

#14 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Thanks again, everyone.

The tech came out this morning. He replaced the LNB, power inserter, and changed the cabling to a more "supported" configuration with a splitter.

Nope. Same symptoms. So, our HR20 just doesn't like a SWiM setup. Darn.

So we now have a shiny new HR34! I'll save that whole story for the -- HR34 pricing thread.

Oh, and the tech called our setup an "HD DVR museum". He's kind of right. At the moment we have an HR10-250 (first HD DVR), HR20-700 (first D*-designed HD DVR), and an HR34-700 (latest and greatest) all hooked up to our TV right now. Pretty soon it will just be the HR34, though. That's definitely all we need.

- LoopinFool

Edited by LoopinFool, 16 February 2012 - 08:43 PM.

spam firewall