- We're getting an HR34 and an H2x, obviously with HD and whole home dvr.
- We had Directv several years ago. Dish was removed 2 years ago when we got roof redone, and I just removed the old cables and grounding block. Cables had connectors cut off and were exposed to rain, so I figured new cable would be better.
- There are 2 RG6 going from side of house to the structured wiring cabinet inside. One of these will continue to be used for Comcast internet.
- Old dish was mounted on back corner of roof (south facing, no LOS obstructions) about 40' from where coax enters house and I would assume new dish would go same place.
- Electric meter/ground is right next to where coax enters house. Ground is currently going to existing Comcast grounding block.
- Structured wiring cabinet is about 25' from where coax enters house and also contains my Comcast modem, wireless router, switch and new voip ATA. There is also power available.
- All coax/ethernet are home runs to the wiring cabinet.
- The two coax cables come into another grounding block that is grounded to electrical ground. Unfortunately the crappy builder just used crimp connectors rather than compression.
- Since we'll only need two boxes for now, I just want to leave remaining coax runs unconnected.
- Both locations where the boxes are going have both rg6 and cat5e.
Here's how I would assume the installation would be, correct me if I'm wrong:
- Dish with SWM lnb on roof with single cable (with ground wire) going back to grounding block where coax enters house.
- Grounding block connected to electric meter ground.
- In structured wiring cabinet the sat coax goes to a 4-way splitter.
- Power inserter goes to power port on splitter.
- The two locations that will have boxes are connected to splitter.
- CCK device goes to remaining port on splitter and into router/switch.
I do have a couple of questions also:
- How should grounding blocks be connected outside?
- Can you just connect from Comcast grounding block to Directv grounding block? And if so, how should they be spliced?
- Current ground connections outside look a bit oxidized - should a grease be applied?
- Is there a problem with them being grounded in two places (inside ground is also electric ground).
- Is there a problem with Comcast and Directv sharing a grounding block in the structured wiring cabinet?
Oh, and a single non-install related question.
- Can you watch on-demand on the H2x, or is that only on the HR34?
Appreciate the help - just trying to make it as smooth as possible for the installer.
Edited by ecf, 13 February 2012 - 02:10 PM.
Change DECA -> CCK