Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bye Dish - Hello OTA

external hd

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pcnetwrx

pcnetwrx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:59 PM

After many years with Dish, I finally called it quits and dropped them in favor of a purchased OTA ChannelMaster CM-7400 dual-tuner DVR unit. The funny thing is, I gave Dish a call to see what they would do for me to keep me around, and I was not looking for a whole lot. But both the CSR and the CEO office would not offer me anything but a couple of PPV movie certificates. So I found the CM-7400, set it up and it worked just fine for what I watch so I disconnected from Dish.

Then AFTER I disconnect they offer me $10 off a month on my package and a few months free of Starz. Nope. Too little, too late now. It would have made me stick with them another year had they offered it to me up front before disconnect, but on the other hand I am not sorry to have landed where I am. In 7 months, my new box will have paid for itself and anything after that is just big bucks back in my pocket. And there's not a lot I will miss what with Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming and DVD's.

Dish was good for the long time that I had them, but times are changing and there are much less expensive alternatives available now. Dish needs to recognize that and transform to meet the new competition.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 476 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hey, as long as all you ever want to watch is network shows, and you are in a good reception area, nothing beats a monthly charge of zero.

A lot of us here (99+% would be my guess) want to watch more than just network TV.

Keith

#3 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

After many years with Dish, I finally called it quits and dropped them in favor of a purchased OTA ChannelMaster CM-7400 dual-tuner DVR unit. The funny thing is, I gave Dish a call to see what they would do for me to keep me around, and I was not looking for a whole lot. But both the CSR and the CEO office would not offer me anything but a couple of PPV movie certificates. So I found the CM-7400, set it up and it worked just fine for what I watch so I disconnected from Dish.

Then AFTER I disconnect they offer me $10 off a month on my package and a few months free of Starz. Nope. Too little, too late now. It would have made me stick with them another year had they offered it to me up front before disconnect, but on the other hand I am not sorry to have landed where I am. In 7 months, my new box will have paid for itself and anything after that is just big bucks back in my pocket. And there's not a lot I will miss what with Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming and DVD's.

Dish was good for the long time that I had them, but times are changing and there are much less expensive alternatives available now. Dish needs to recognize that and transform to meet the new competition.

Did you get the $50 per year guide they offer? I probably would have gone with a Tivo Premiere. The Tivo does cost more upfront with the lifetime sub than the Channel Master ($600 vs $400+$50 per year). But it streams Youtube, Netflix, Hulu+ and can transfer recordings to your pc via your network. All things that help improve ota tv.

It's funny, I read posts from people leaving a pay-tv service for ota. My family and I did without pay-tv for years until we signed for Dish a little over two years ago. My wife and i have been married over 22 years and have two sons (19 & 17). We really enjoy it, but we could go back to ota. Especially with the many choices available to dvr ota shows (Win 7 MC, Tivo, CM-7400) and the streaming boxes.

#4 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Did you get the $50 per year guide they offer? I probably would have gone with a Tivo Premiere. The Tivo does cost more upfront with the lifetime sub than the Channel Master ($600 vs $400+$50 per year). But it streams Youtube, Netflix, Hulu+ and can transfer recordings to your pc via your network. All things that help improve ota tv.

It's funny, I read posts from people leaving a pay-tv service for ota. My family and I did without pay-tv for years until we signed for Dish a little over two years ago. My wife and i have been married over 22 years and have two sons (19 & 17). We really enjoy it, but we could go back to ota. Especially with the many choices available to dvr ota shows (Win 7 MC, Tivo, CM-7400) and the streaming boxes.

The channel Master 7400 is $400 and no monthly fees. It only has PSIP guide info. I have an original PAL (dish) OTA which has TVGOS and works great.

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

tymekeeper, what do you think of the PAL compared to the 7400?

#6 OFFLINE   pcnetwrx

pcnetwrx

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Did you get the $50 per year guide they offer?

I didn't get the guide yet, but I may get it, so that would lengthen my payback time a little bit. The built-in free guide relies on what the channels send out. Some send out 2 or 3 days worth and some only send out 6 or 8 hours worth of data.

#7 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

People are charging $400 for a receiver that only picks up channels your TV can pick up anyway, whose listings are in the newspaper, and which can be recorded on a $35 Goodwill VCR.

I can die now, I have seen it all.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

People are charging $400 for a receiver that only picks up channels your TV can pick up anyway, whose listings are in the newspaper, and which can be recorded on a $35 Goodwill VCR.

Your TV can only pick up the channels if it has an ATSC tuner built-in... and lots of TVs (even some HD ones) either don't have an ATSC tuner or have a poor first-generation one... which means an additional box is necessary.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:59 AM

I didn't get the guide yet, but I may get it, so that would lengthen my payback time a little bit. The built-in free guide relies on what the channels send out. Some send out 2 or 3 days worth and some only send out 6 or 8 hours worth of data.

I'm not familiar with the product, however if your OTA channel data is anything like mine, you'll want the guide subscription. Here, not only is the information almost worthless, the clock is set incorrectly.

#10 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

Price out a vcr that has an ATSC tuner and can record in hd. When you can even find one, they're a lot more expensive than $35. And manuel recording sucks.

I currently use a ATSC usb tuner in a spare pc. It's hooked up to my basement hdtv and I record hd ota progamming that Dish only carries in sd. WMC works great for recordings. Since I bought the pc off of craigslist for $100, I have a fully functional ota hd recorder for less than $250 (including external hdd). It does consume more power than a stb dvr. But since it only records a few shows, it isn't always on.

#11 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

why not go with a cheap computer setup running Windows Media Center? You would have all OTA info, unlimited harddrive space.

#12 OFFLINE   totalchaos

totalchaos

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

i would love to do this but i would really miss live sports and watching non local channels. Even though we can watch most show on the net for free.

#13 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

tymekeeper, what do you think of the PAL compared to the 7400?

The Dish Pal (built by echostar) was discontinues several years ago and the CM 7000 was its replacement. Now the CM 7400 is a whole new product. i got one of the first pals in December 07 I believe and it is still working and I use it a lot. It has it's glitches but to me much easier to use than the old VCR. If it broke the CM 7400 sounds good and I would buy it.

#14 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hey, as long as all you ever want to watch is network shows, and you are in a good reception area, nothing beats a monthly charge of zero.

A lot of us here (99+% would be my guess) want to watch more than just network TV.

Keith

I don't like local news and the network junk. I like the cable channels and HBO & STARS HDNET MOVIES and TCM.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

While I use OTA for all my network recordings, not having FX, AMC, USA, and a few others would be a non-starter for me. There is just too much really great tv you miss if you restrict yourself to local networks only.

#16 OFFLINE   pcnetwrx

pcnetwrx

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

While I use OTA for all my network recordings, not having FX, AMC, USA, and a few others would be a non-starter for me. There is just too much really great tv you miss if you restrict yourself to local networks only.

I watched a few of the Dish channels too, but even you listed FX, AMC, USA and "a few others" meaning maybe a total of 6 channels? I found I was doing the same thing--watching maybe 6 satellite channels for which I had the privilege of paying them over $60 a month for. Even their smallest package just did not seem cost-effective anymore. But I guess what really rubbed me the wrong way was that there was no effort on their part to keep me until after I had already gone--then they decided I was maybe worth dealing with. But it's been about three weeks now, and I barely miss the channels I used to watch from them.

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

I only listed a few to make a point, but its more like about 20 channels with shows that I really want to watch and not months after the season is over when I could try to get them on BD and watch mini-marathons of on disk. So its 4-5 local networks and at least 20 other channels...many have done this before you...many come back. I'm not advocating you return to Dish, but if you are a fan of tv, you'll find that the local networks won't be enough after awhile like most others do. Local networks are probably about 1/3 of my viewing during network primetime season, the other 2/3rd's come from the channels I mentioned and many others.

#18 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

There is virtually nothing worth watching on the networks anymore for me. The sitcoms are awful. The movies are full of commercial interruptions, and are censored and cut. Literally, 80% of the channels and subchannels in L.A., aren't even in English. That is no exaggeration. I watch Motorweek on PBS, and that's pretty much it. If it was OTA or nothing, I would probably go with nothing and just sell the TV.

Michael

#19 OFFLINE   daranman

daranman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

I'm currently on "pause", so I'm not totally cold turkey. There's not much exclusive to satellite that I need to have, and maybe only miss immediate live events. Maybe more time web surfing now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: external hd

Protected By... spam firewall...And...