Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Won a PS3, should I keep it?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Well, I recently won a PS3 and it should arrive on Thursday.

Now, I need to figure out whether or not I should keep it.

I'm not really a gamer, but we have a Wii for the kids. They're 6 and 9 and love it.

Obviously, it's not HD and it's not the same as a PS3, but for kids it seems more than adequate (they play Mario Cart, all the Lego Games - Batman, Indy, and lately have been playing SkyLanders).

So, what are the advantages of the PS3 that I might want? I know it's also a Blu Ray player, but I already have 4 Blu Ray Players everywhere I'd need one.

Will my kids soon outgrow the Wii?

Even though I'm getting it for free, games will cost a bit of money that I don't really have right now.

Is it that much of a better gaming experience for 6 and 9 year olds?

Thoughts welcome.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Tough Call. I would say keep it. If its a newer PS3 then it plays Blu-Ray, has the ability to be wired (or wireless) to connect to internet and do things you want your DVR to do.

Plus the 9 year old may eventually play games on it. There are kids games for the PS3..

If you don't want it, I'll give you $100 plus shipping.

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

Shipping is about $100.

#4 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Well, I recently won a PS3 and it should arrive on Thursday.

Now, I need to figure out whether or not I should keep it.

I miss my PS3. :(

I had one of the first models, and mine got the dreaded YLOD (Yellow Light Of Death). I intend on replacing it one of these days, but I can't justify the expense at this time.

I can't speak as to whether or not you'd want to keep it, but it's a great media player, and as woj027 stated, there are kid's games available for it, including several HD versions of games you mentioned for the Wii, as well as games like the Ratchet And Clank games, and Little Big Planet that have games at decent prices whenever you can afford them.

~Alan

#5 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

:eek2: wow... try UPS or FedEx... they a bit cheaper that the Postal Service..:lol:

If thats an attempt at negotiations on selling it, I'm willing to up the ante some.

Which PS3 is it? Limited Edition?

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

I don't know which PS3 it is until I get it on Thursday.

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

I miss my PS3. :(

I had one of the first models, and mine got the dreaded YLOD (Yellow Light Of Death). I intend on replacing it one of these days, but I can't justify the expense at this time.

I can't speak as to whether or not you'd want to keep it, but it's a great media player, and as woj027 stated, there are kid's games available for it, including several HD versions of games you mentioned for the Wii, as well as games like the Ratchet And Clank games, and Little Big Planet that have games at decent prices whenever you can afford them.

~Alan

So, if I kept the PS3, would there be any need for the Wii?

The PS3 has a motion adapter now, correct? Would be able to do the Wii things like ping pong and baseball and bowling?

#8 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

depending on the version of PS3 that you get, it will either come with the "Move" motion adapter, or you buy one separately - $40 or so

Yes it can replace the wii. Different games, fun games, definitely kid friendly games.

#9 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

also, you could probably find "used" games for a decent price at your local video game re-seller (typically a strip mall location, or at some "game" stores)

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

So, if I kept the PS3, would there be any need for the Wii?

Not all Wii games are on the PS3 (and obviously vice versa). I'd keep both...

The PS3 has a motion adapter now, correct? Would be able to do the Wii things like ping pong and baseball and bowling?

You can get some games for the PS3 that does motion control if you have their motion control (PS3 Move), but I still wouldn't consider the PS3 as a replacement.

~Alan

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,889 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

The Wii is best in terms of first party games. The titles that Nintendo controls that no one will ever get (Mario is essentially the keys to the Kingdom - and not just the Mushroom Kingdom). And it plays the best Mario Kart game there is, Double Dash, which the new one coming out won't. I'd keep it.

#12 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

I would keep it and use it for either, games, bluray player, netflix ........; It has a good amount of features. I have one mainly as a bluray player got it in 2006 and only have 2 games for it. XBOX serves the gaming needs.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

I'd keep it. We have a Wii and Xbox. The Wii is great for younger kids as the games seem oriented more towards that age group. We have a 8 year old and a 4 year old. If you kids like sports games, there are many sports games and racing games that they would like on the PS3.

I am having a difficult time finding many games on the Xbox for my 8 year old, most of the good games are rated T or M. He tends to like shooting games, however good luck finding one without a lot of language in it. I don't mind most of the violence, but do not understand why most of these games have to include all of the language also.

#14 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

I'd keep it. We have a Wii and Xbox. The Wii is great for younger kids as the games seem oriented more towards that age group. We have a 8 year old and a 4 year old. If you kids like sports games, there are many sports games and racing games that they would like on the PS3.

I am having a difficult time finding many games on the Xbox for my 8 year old, most of the good games are rated T or M. He tends to like shooting games, however good luck finding one without a lot of language in it. I don't mind most of the violence, but do not understand why most of these games have to include all of the language also.

Halo games would actually fall into that category the most graphic would be the alien blood on the floor
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Again, for Xbox, Monday Night Combat is great. T for teen and no blood.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,296 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

I would sell for best offer. Counting your all reasoning ...

You'll buy for the money a lot of Wii games for grown kids.

#17 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Use it for MLB.TV?

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Use it for MLB.TV?

Explain, please.

#19 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...d=MLBTVREDIRECT

You can use the PS3 to watch MLB in HD with an MLB.TV subscription.

#20 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,509 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Pretty sure you would have won the newer "slim" model that has a better and cooler running power supply. It also should pass HD audio bit streams which the older models could not and had to convert to LPCM.

As a Blue Ray player its pretty awesome and its fully forward upgradable. A stand alone BluRay device has a window of being current (where the factory will issue updates) and then it is swept aside so you will purchase new after about 2 years to get back to faster load times. etc.

PS3 load times will make your head spin! They are fast. Image on BluRay material is great. It does (last time I checked) lack the "modes" like Std, bright, dim (aka movie, etc).

Where it does fall down is as a std DVD player. Its upscaling is good but the picture is a bit murky (dark) when compared to a stand alone BR player. I suspect that this is due to it being fully a software thing as opposed to a specialized hardware component. Again this may differ in the newer versions I have 2 of the early models.

It has incredible media center facilities and it truly does all things for the most part and it is continuously being enhanced and added to.

You can get a better BR player, and you can certainly get a better upscaling DVD player but overall these babies move forward constantly and offer so many additional features they kinda are hard to beat.

100 dollars shipping? A parcel that size and weight should ship to any zone in the US for like 25 bucks or less unless using priority overnight.

Don "not exactly a free prize it would seem" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

spam firewall