Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Won a PS3, should I keep it?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

100 dollars shipping? A parcel that size and weight should ship to any zone in the US for like 25 bucks or less unless using priority overnight.

Don "not exactly a free prize it would seem" Bolton

ZOOOM

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Arrived today.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it, at least for now.

Might not open it right away, trying to decide when would be a good time to show it to the boys (but don't want to wait until next Christmas).

I had one of the original PS3's a few years ago that I used solely for Blu Ray, but sold it after I got my first Blu Ray player.

We're pretty into Netflix streaming now, and I like the fact that it does that. I might be able to sell a blu ray player (have one that doesn't stream Netflix) and then I'll have Netflix streaming in every room.

Will probably try to build up some games over the next month or two when I find deals, before unveiling it to the boys.

Oh, it's model number CECH-3001B with 320GB HD in Charcoal Black.

Posted Image

Edited by spartanstew, 16 February 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Sell it ! While it NIB.

#24 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

I would keep it and use it for either, games, bluray player, netflix ........; It has a good amount of features. I have one mainly as a bluray player got it in 2006 and only have 2 games for it. XBOX serves the gaming needs.

I am in exactly the same boat as you.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#25 OFFLINE   butters

butters

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Since your not an avid gamer and you have younger kids like I do, don't rule out Gamestop or other outlets that sell used games. I have only one game (God of War III that I got for $20 on sale last Christmas) that I purchased new for my PS3 and all the rest (mostly sports games) are used. I am not much of a gamer anymore so I don't mind grabbing games that are a year or two old.

BTW, go Spartans!

#26 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Does Blockbuster sell used games?

#27 OFFLINE   butters

butters

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

I think it probably varies by store, but I can't say for sure since there are no Blockbuster stores in my area.

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,097 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

They used to when we had them. But they closed before the Dish sale.

#29 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

I'd keep it, if you happen to have a 3D tv (or plan to get one in the future) the PS3 can do that out of the box.

Will your kids 'grow out' of the Wii? Maybe, depends on how old they are, but the PS3 does cater to a different demographic than the Wii does.

I happen to have a PS3 and a XBOX 360 and find room for both of them in my life, though I am an avid gamer though ;).
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#30 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

For pity's sake, keep it and the Wii as well. Your 9 year old is certainly ready to play almost any of the E rated games, several of which could be played by your 6 year old as well. You might even find yourself playing multiplayer games with them -- great for bonding!
As to the Wii -if you don't have Wii Fit, it's worth buying and getting all family members into some basic fitness routines.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#31 OFFLINE   TechnoBarbie

TechnoBarbie

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I have 2 of the older models. Not sure I can add to what has been stated already. I will add my personal opinions though. Media server capabilities are def a plus for me, hdmi and digital optical audio outs love it, Wired or wireless, love it. No need to subscribe for online features, priceless... makes me feel valued and respected as a consumer. When faced with a 360 to ps3 option I would be ashamed to buy in for similar or even worse capabilities, I don't understand why people would prefer a 360. OK back to subject, I would keep a WII just as I have kept my gamecube, my ps2 (internet connected) I like to think of my home as a museum o' electronica! lol How do I overcome the need to complain about breakdowns/limitations... I keep extra machines around in case of the inevitable... life is short live happy.

#32 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

A lot of times, the preferences boil down to 'what exclusive game is on what system'.

Personally, I chose the Xbox for a variety of reasons. Their live system has been around longer and is more robust (to say nothing of never being out of order for days on end). Oh yeah - and my daughter wanted to play Halo :)

#33 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

I would assume most people buy PS3's for the gaming portion but I use it more for the media options.

Like other have said, you can play bluray discs, stream using the Netflix client (which has a kids theme), Amazon OnDemand, Hulu Plus, stream your Plex library, download media from Playstation store, etc.

I buy an occasional game and download many demos but never use the music or picture options (well...I might have streamed pics from my computer once).

I also use my harmony remote with it, ftr, which is nice.
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...