Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.00 Regional Sports Fee?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Nomo1

Nomo1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

I got no notice about the increase. I am apparently in the New York region even though I live in north central Pennsylvania, hundreds of miles from either Pittsburgh or NYC. When I first called about it the CSR tried to tell me it was for the sports package. So I thought they were adding two bucks to the 12.99 I already pay. In a bit of irony, my family is Yankee fans, and YES is one of my RSNs, even though it wasn't always. I pay the 2.00 now for MSG but I can't get the Knicks games. What a stupid system.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

I wonder if the opinions here would be any different if it were a $2 public interest (religious channel) charge...
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#23 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

Yes they would be way different since they PAY to be on.

#24 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

I got no notice about the increase. I am apparently in the New York region even though I live in north central Pennsylvania, hundreds of miles from either Pittsburgh or NYC. When I first called about it the CSR tried to tell me it was for the sports package. So I thought they were adding two bucks to the 12.99 I already pay. In a bit of irony, my family is Yankee fans, and YES is one of my RSNs, even though it wasn't always. I pay the 2.00 now for MSG but I can't get the Knicks games. What a stupid system.

http://cm.directv.co...AAAAAqU/rsnbuck

This is one of the notifications. My brother in New York got this one via email, note the Regional Sports Fee in the bottom left hand corner. I'm sure you got notified, they are required to do so. Whether you noticed it or not is a different story.

#25 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

http://cm.directv.com/a/tBO$fAyB8c3R4B8fKNAAAAAAAqU/rsnbuck

This is one of the notifications. My brother in New York got this one via email, note the Regional Sports Fee in the bottom left hand corner. I'm sure you got notified, they are required to do so. Whether you noticed it or not is a different story.

That's a terrible job of notification by DIRECTV. There is no explanation of the charge whatsoever.

#26 OFFLINE   Bosox07

Bosox07

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

Thanks, Satelliteracer.

Am I missing something, I do not see any response from Satelliteracer......

#27 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,326 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I assume he means the bill I don't get because I have to have paperless billing to get the HD credit.

Paperless or not, you still have a monthly invoice available online for you to peruse.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,326 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

What if you never watch sports?

If you aren't interested in sports, perhaps you should consider a provider with less of an emphasis on sports programming.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#29 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

I haven't looked at my bill, but how does this work for someone like me... I am deemed to be in the Boston DMA thus get NESN and so on. However being in CT, I also am in the clear for networks like YES, SNY, MSG(sometimes).

I wonder if they will hit me with the fee.

**EDIT**

I am not seeing it on my bill, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Edited by Chuck W, 16 February 2012 - 02:28 PM.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#30 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

It was deleted for some reason.

#31 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

It was deleted for some reason.

Yeah, there was definitely a post from Satelliteracer that I was responding to (I wish I had quoted it in my response).

I have no idea why it was deleted. Perhaps the information in his post was wrong? If so it would have been more helpful for him to let us know that rather than just deleting his post, especially since we have not received an adequate response from DIRECTV on the issue.

In any case, I think that the way that DIRECTV has handled this has been very poor, beginning with inadequate explanation of the charge up front, and continuing with a very strange implementation of the new charge: 1) Why charge people in the Philly area an extra 2 bucks for RSNs that aren't even their own, and 2) How is it reasonable to charge an extra 2 bucks to someone who is subscribed to the Sports Pack?

#32 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, there was definitely a post from Satelliteracer that I was responding to (I wish I had quoted it in my response).

In star wars ep:iv when luke said he shouldve been there to help aunt beru & uncle owen when they got fried by stormtroopers but obi-wan kenobi said to him:
"There was nothing you could have done had you been there. You'd have been killed too."

Well he wouldve said to you:
"There was nothing you could have done had you quoted it. Youre post would have been deleted too."

#33 OFFLINE   xyzzy42

xyzzy42

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

My price increase insert is labelled 0112IPINGM J792. There is no line in the lower left corner about a regional sports fee. I am definitely in the NYC DMA.

#34 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

In star wars ep:iv when luke said he shouldve been there to help aunt beru & uncle owen when they got fried by stormtroopers but obi-wan kenobi said to him:
"There was nothing you could have done had you been there. You'd have been killed too."

Well he wouldve said to you:
"There was nothing you could have done had you quoted it. Youre post would have been deleted too."

:lol:

#35 OFFLINE   Nomo1

Nomo1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

My price increase insert is labelled 0112IPINGM J792. There is no line in the lower left corner about a regional sports fee. I am definitely in the NYC DMA.

I find it interesting that I was told that the fee was for the NY Rsns, and yet you aren't paying it. I also find it ridiculous that the fee is for MSG, yet I can't access all of their programming. Apparently the NBA puts my local teams as the Nets and the Cavs. Really? 10 miles to the east or 10 miles to the south, according to zip code, and I would be considered in Knicks territory. And i would be able to see my beloved Orange witthout having to subscribe to the sports pack. The lines these professional teams draw is a joke.

#36 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

I have no idea why it was deleted. Perhaps the information in his post was wrong? If so it would have been more helpful for him to let us know that rather than just deleting his post, especially since we have not received an adequate response from DIRECTV on the issue.

In any case, I think that the way that DIRECTV has handled this has been very poor, beginning with inadequate explanation of the charge up front, and continuing with a very strange implementation of the new charge: 1) Why charge people in the Philly area an extra 2 bucks for RSNs that aren't even their own, and 2) How is it reasonable to charge an extra 2 bucks to someone who is subscribed to the Sports Pack?

The $2 fee is not charged to people with Sports Pack, has nothing to do with Sports Pack. The fee is based on those with high cost RSNs as part of your base package, typically an area that has multiple RSNs.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#37 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

The $2 fee is not charged to people with Sports Pack, has nothing to do with Sports Pack. The fee is based on those with high cost RSNs as part of your base package, typically an area that has multiple RSNs.

Except that this post from the OP sounds like he has Sports Pack and IS being charged the $2.00 fee. Are you saying that this is an error and that people with Sports Pack should not be charged the additional $2?

Nobody at directv can explain what this is for. I have the sportspak for college basketball season. Is this just an increase on the 12.99 I already pay? Ridiculous that they just tack on a fee without advance notice. The CSR said it was in a flyer that came in my bill. I assume he means the bill I don't get because I have to have paperless billing to get the HD credit.

#38 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

The rates DirecTV pays RSN for Sports pack subscribers is different than the rate it pays RSNs for base package subscribers.

#39 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Except that this post from the OP sounds like he has Sports Pack and IS being charged the $2.00 fee. Are you saying that this is an error and that people with Sports Pack should not be charged the additional $2?

No. I believe he is saying that anyone who has sports pack isn't going to see this fee unless you live in a market with multiple or high cost RSN's. Sat racer was just stating that sports pack has nothing to do with this fee from what I gather.
Go Big Red!!!

#40 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

No. I believe he is saying that anyone who has sports pack isn't going to see this fee unless you live in a market with multiple or high cost RSN's. Sat racer was just stating that sports pack has nothing to do with this fee from what I gather.

I'm gathering that also, but that was exactly the point I was making. If someone is in an area that charges the $2 fee, it should be waived if the person has Sports Pack. And if someone lives in the Philly area, they should not be charged the added fee either given that they don't even get their own RSN.

spam firewall