Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.00 Regional Sports Fee?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

It wasn't a question, but clarification would be welcome.

My bad - so are you saying that it is actually the case that people with Entertainment won't get their local RSNs by adding Sports Pack?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

"How will playing cards help?"

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,244 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

My bad - so are you saying that it is actually the case that people with Entertainment won't get their local RSNs by adding Sports Pack?

That's what I concluded based on the same post by SR that you quoted. I had also assumed that Entertainment Pack plus Sports Pack would include local RSNs.

#53 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Yes-it's called the Entertainment Package.

No, it's not the Entertainment Package.

It was anticipated that this package was to be Choice Extra without sports but in reality it's also without many of the non-sports channels I watch like Military, Science, etc. So it's not a solution to those who do NOT want to pay this stupid new "regional sports" charge that don't watch sports.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#54 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

But the REAL reality of it, is that it was created to compete with DISH's AT120 pkg. (ie; the "cost conscious" new subscribers)

(from their own dealer adverts)

ENTERTAINMENT is filled with 140 channels customers want:

All the top entertainment channels: Disney, USA Network, AMC, FX, TBS, A&E, SyFy & more
The most popular lifestyle channels: E, Food Network, HGTV, RFD, Discovery & more
All of the major news: Fox News, CNN, CNBC, HLN, MSNBC, The Weather Channel & more
The sports they really want: All the major sports broadcast on network plus , ESPN, ESPN2

ENTERTAINMENT is perfect for good-quality customers looking to get all the great features of DIRECTV at an affordable price. For customers who are comparison/price shopping:

ENTERTAINMENT is comparable to Dish AT200, but for $10 less (after rebate)
It’s the same price as Dish’s AT120 (for the first 12 months, after rebate)

It has all the major sports coverage you want – it does not include specialty sports (Local RSNs) that are limited to coverage of specific teams

'course AFTER all the rebates/promo's run out...it's a different story, IMHO...

#55 OFFLINE   Nomo1

Nomo1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

Thanks, Satelliteracer (and this time I'm quoting you so I don't look TOO crazy if your post gets deleted :)). This is actually what I was trying to clarify from your post that had been deleted.

Your explanation makes sense, but I still can't fathom charging those in the Philly area an extra 2 bucks to get the NY RSNs when they can't even get their own - is this really what is happening?

In my original post, the CSR told me it was for the sports pack. When I called back, the second CSR had no idea. I understand that it's for the RSNs that have been assigned to me. What pi$$e$ me off is that even though I pay the fee to get MSG, I am not able to watch the Knicks game, based on an arbitrary zip code. Most of my county is able to see the games, but I am on the western edge, and am not due to my zip code. 10 miles to the south or east, give or take, and I am in the area. 20 miles to the north is Elmira NY, and I could get it there too. But not in the rural zip code in which I live. THAT is the crux of my discontent.

#56 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

What pi$$e$ me off is that even though I pay the fee to get MSG, I am not able to watch the Knicks game, based on an arbitrary zip code. Most of my county is able to see the games, but I am on the western edge, and am not due to my zip code. 10 miles to the south or east, give or take, and I am in the area. 20 miles to the north is Elmira NY, and I could get it there too. But not in the rural zip code in which I live. THAT is the crux of my discontent.

I completely agree. If you are not able to receive the same access to full programming content that everyone in the home market gets, then there is no way that you should be charged an additional $2.

#57 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,669 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

That explains the call I got from my father in law in CA. He tried to tune into a Lakers game and was greeted by a "not subscribed " message. I'll give him a call and let him know.

#58 OFFLINE   Nomo1

Nomo1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

I completely agree. If you are not able to receive the same access to full programming content that everyone in the home market gets, then there is no way that you should be charged an additional $2.

I had a call from directv today to attempt to explain this fee to me. at first he seemed to have no idea what he was talking about, and I'm still not convinced he knew what he was talking about. He waffled back and forth between if it was tied to the sportspak or not. He had to go ask around and call me back. He said it was so that I could get RSN s that were not part of my package ( I thought regional sports networks were part of a programming package, but oh well) . It seems as if I am being charged more because of my zip code. At least that was what he kept repeating. When I questioned him as to whether everyone who got MSG, YES, and whatever the third one is that plays Nets games had to pay the fee, he seemed to indicate that they did not. It was because of an increase in price to provide my area with RSNs. So for instance my sister in Scranton doesnt have to pay it for these RSNs plus a few more, nor does the New York City market. so this fee is arbitrarily assessed to my tiny corner of rural Pennsylvania. It seems to me that the logical place to recoup the fees would be in a larger market,such as NYC or SWB, but maybe they figure the rural customers, of which there are far fewer will not protest and just pay it. Either way it is a discriminatory practice to impose a fee on a particular area for the same services. And I don't even get access to all of the programming, because the NBA puts me out of their market, which again is bull because I would be in market if diretcv went by counties rather than zip codes. ( my zip code covers two counties). So frustrated with directv right now.

#59 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

When I questioned him as to whether everyone who got MSG, YES, and whatever the third one is that plays Nets games had to pay the fee, he seemed to indicate that they did not. It was because of an increase in price to provide my area with RSNs. So for instance my sister in Scranton doesnt have to pay it for these RSNs plus a few more, nor does the New York City market. so this fee is arbitrarily assessed to my tiny corner of rural Pennsylvania.

This information from the CSR is exactly opposite of what SR indicated in his post. Can anyone who actually lives in NYC confirm that they are being charged the additional $2 RSN fee?

#60 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

This information from the CSR is exactly opposite of what SR indicated in his post. Can anyone who actually lives in NYC confirm that they are being charged the additional $2 RSN fee?

Go back and read what SR said. Seems he said exactly what the CSR told nomo.

Here's the key part from SR. "Your local RSNs are part of your base package and provided based on your zip code. Different animal and much different cost structure"

What seems to be confusing people here is that zip code part. It's not DMA, but zip code. That's a signficant difference. You could be in the NYC DMA and not have the fee but another person in the DMA could have the fee because they are in a different zip code.

The way sports teams territories are derived are not at the DMA level but the zip code level. Having dealt with this in the past, this could mean that DTV is charged say $4.00 by one of the RSNs in the New York area in one zip code, but the guy living across the street in a different zip code DTV may only be charged $0.75. When you start adding up 3 or 4 RSNs, their costs are probably well over $10 to $12 in some of those zip codes.

The key is zip code, not DMA, not the city. Further complicated by team territories.

#61 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

CB, this is what I am referring to:

The fee is based on those with high cost RSNs as part of your base package, typically an area that has multiple RSNs.

If you're in New York the YES Network, MSG, MSG +, and SNY demand high rates from cable, telco and satellite providers to deliver those channels to New York area customers in the various territories of the teams they offer (Mets, Yankees, Nets, Rangers, etc).

#62 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,313 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

Satelliteracer ... can you please take this to the powers that be and have them add information about the "Regional Sports Fee" to the DIRECTV.com web site? Running a search there shows no information about this fee...

#63 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Here in Boston, where we have two RSN's....

I checked the "new prices" insert I received in my previous bill. It does not mention the $2 RSN fee shown on the pdf of the same insert from the link in post #24 on this thread. Otherwise it looks the same.

Tonight, I just got the first bill since the new prices took effect. No mention of the RSN fee on my bill - so maybe two RSN's doesn't invoke the fee?

#64 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:12 AM

Tonight, I just got the first bill since the new prices took effect. No mention of the RSN fee on my bill - so maybe two RSN's doesn't invoke the fee?

It may not just be the particular number of RSN's you get, but what they cost Directv. Those two that you get in Boston may not be as expensive as some others and so Directv isn't going to tack on the extra fee.

D* has to be careful here, but it wouldn't surprise me if this fee started to creep up every year until its in the $5-7 range for some markets.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#65 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

It may not just be the particular number of RSN's you get, but what they cost Directv. Those two that you get in Boston may not be as expensive as some others and so Directv isn't going to tack on the extra fee.

D* has to be careful here, but it wouldn't surprise me if this fee started to creep up every year until its in the $5-7 range for some markets.

Good point that what they cost DirecTV might be the key factor. Still, I wouldn't have thought they would pass up an option to add an extra fee, if its being applied in some markets! Hopefully it doesn't creep up (in cost) and creep across the country.

#66 OFFLINE   SPG900NY

SPG900NY

AllStar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

I'm in the NY metro area (Suffolk County, Long Island) and I get all the NY metro RSN's -- MSG, YES, etc. I just looked at my bill for 2/21 and there is no listing of a $2 fee for RSN's. Nothing unusual on my bill at all, actually. Strange.

#67 OFFLINE   JoeS

JoeS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

I got 'nailed' with the 2$ fee and my zip code borders New York City... 107XX

#68 OFFLINE   WalkGood

WalkGood

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I live on Long Island in Suffolk County. My bill dated 2/23/12 has the new $2.00 Regional Sports Fee. Also my Premier package went up $5/month to $119.99 !!!

I called and asked WTF the Regional Sports Fee is about since I do NOT have any extra sports packages just what comes with Premier. I complained asking why I have to pay extra since the local sports channels like MSG, YES and SNY are already included n the VERY expensive Premier package.

They gave me $5 off a month for 3 months. I said "that's it? I'm a premiere customer since 1997!" They added another $5/month off for 6 months (some Starz channel rebate), concurrent. So 3 months of $10 off, and the 3 nonths of $5 off.

If you don't ask or don't complain, u get nada.

But I'll be beeyotchin again in 3 months and 6 months from now. I do not WANT to get cable vision but it will be infinitely LESS expensive than DirecTV. if FIOS was in my area I'd be all over it.

#69 OFFLINE   cnmurray8

cnmurray8

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

I received my March bill and it included the regional sports fee. I am in Central New Hampshire in the Boston DMA.

#70 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

I live on Long Island in Suffolk County. My bill dated 2/23/12 has the new $2.00 Regional Sports Fee. Also my Premier package went up $5/month to $119.99 !!!

I called and asked WTF the Regional Sports Fee is about since I do NOT have any extra sports packages just what comes with Premier. I complained asking why I have to pay extra since the local sports channels like MSG, YES and SNY are already included n the VERY expensive Premier package.

They gave me $5 off a month for 3 months. I said "that's it? I'm a premiere customer since 1997!" They added another $5/month off for 6 months (some Starz channel rebate), concurrent. So 3 months of $10 off, and the 3 nonths of $5 off.

If you don't ask or don't complain, u get nada.

But I'll be beeyotchin again in 3 months and 6 months from now. I do not WANT to get cable vision but it will be infinitely LESS expensive than DirecTV. if FIOS was in my area I'd be all over it.

Vote with your wallet. DirecTV pays nearly $10 per month to MSG, SNY, and YES combined per subscriber in the NY DMA. I doubt Cablevision is less expensive for everything once the promo rate expires.

#71 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

I just got charged this fee in the LA area. Seems a little silly when I only get the same 2 RSNs that I've had forever. My guess is they're charging now since they're anticipating a big re-up with the Dodgers, as well as the new Lakers & Pac-12 networks. I feel like I should get a discount because the only professional LA sports team I like is the Clippers, and I know their rights don't cost much. lol

#72 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

My parents have the reverse situation. They watch virtually EVERY Minnesota Twins games on their RSN, but couldn't care less about any other Minnesota sports, or cable sports in general. I know they would downgrade their base package and pay an extra RSN fee, but as Frank Costanza would say..."That's how they get ya!"
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#73 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that regional programming could require a regional fee if a particular region(s) regional programming was significantly more in cost than the national average. That's easier to explain than having regional package prices.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#74 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

I called in to complain about the "regional sports fee" when it appeared on my bill. The CSR was confused but looked up the info she had which pretty much agreed with what others here have said that it is a selective charge by ZIP code.

She thought it was ridiculous too so she immediately credited my account with $2.10 (the fee plus it's tax).

When the next bill comes out I'm sure the charge will be there again so I will once again call in and complain. I wonder if a crappy $2/month charge is worth losing a 12 year loyal customer who pays them over $100 a month?? It might come to that.

In any event, I plan on calling in and complaining EVERY MONTH that this charge shows up on my bill....even if I don't get it removed. It will probably cost DirecTV $2 just for wasting the CSR's time but at least I'll get some sort of satisfaction (and maybe some input up the chain as to how irked customers are about this).

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#75 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

What's so outrageous about asking customers with particularly higher sports-related programming costs to cover that additional cost?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...