Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.00 Regional Sports Fee?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'm gathering that also, but that was exactly the point I was making. If someone is in an area that charges the $2 fee, it should be waived if the person has Sports Pack. And if someone lives in the Philly area, they should not be charged the added fee either given that they don't even get their own RSN.

Why should the fee be waived? It would cut into profit margins.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'm gathering that also, but that was exactly the point I was making. If someone is in an area that charges the $2 fee, it should be waived if the person has Sports Pack. And if someone lives in the Philly area, they should not be charged the added fee either given that they don't even get their own RSN.

But the sports pack price only pays for the out of market RSNs, for which they pay those channels a reduced price per subscriber. The subscribers also do not get all of the professional sports programming.

With these in-market extra RSNs, you do get all of the professional sorts programming. I'm sure that DIRECTV is paying the in-market price per subscriber for these channels. The sports pack fee just wouldn't cover that.

I do agree with you that having RSNs that aren't really your area, and having to pay more for those extra channels does seem a bit much. However, it really a factor of how the market areas are determined, which is probably a larger issue than just the fee.
DogLover

My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Except that this post from the OP sounds like he has Sports Pack and IS being charged the $2.00 fee. Are you saying that this is an error and that people with Sports Pack should not be charged the additional $2?

I don't read it that way. The $2 fee has nothing to do with Sports Pack. The OP didn't state what his\her base package is, but that is what the charge is for. If the OP also has Sports Pack that's fine, but it is not tied to that charge in any fashion.

If the OP has CHOICE, CHOICE XTRA, CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC, TOTAL CHOICE, ULTIMATE, PREMIER or any other base package that includes your local regional sports networks AND lives in an area where this is applicable, they may see this charge. Sports Pack just happens to be an a la carte service that is also on the OP's account, but RSN fees outside a local team's territory are vastly different that those in market fees, thus the fee has no impact on RSNs in Sports Pack that are outside the core territory of the viewer.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

That's not how it works. When you subscribe to Sports Pack, you are not subscribing to your local RSN, you are receiving all the other RSNs (outside your territory) and the additional channels that are part of the Sports Pack (Outdoor Channel, Universal Sports, etc).

Your local RSNs are part of your base package and provided based on your zip code. Different animal and much different cost structure.

Think of it this way. If you're in New York the YES Network, MSG, MSG +, and SNY demand high rates from cable, telco and satellite providers to deliver those channels to New York area customers in the various territories of the teams they offer (Mets, Yankees, Nets, Rangers, etc). However, those networks charge far less to allow YES to be delivered to a subscribe in Omaha, Nebraska. Plus, that customer in Omaha can't see the games anyway (only the non-games) without buying an out of market game package, which is another reason the cost structure is so different.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

So if you have the new Entertainment Pack, subscribing to the Sports Pack would NOT get you your RSN(s), just the out of market RSNs.

#46 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

to me the entertainment package is useless.

They tried to create a very cheap package but not having your RSN is sad.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#47 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

to me the entertainment package is useless.

They tried to create a very cheap package but not having your RSN is sad.

I'm sure there are many displaced fans who couldn't care less about the local teams.

#48 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

So if you have the new Entertainment Pack, subscribing to the Sports Pack would NOT get you your RSN(s), just the out of market RSNs.

That's a good question. I had assumed if you had the Entertainment package that adding the Sports Pack would give you access to all of the RSNs, even those in your home market. Can anyone clarify this?

#49 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

That's a good question. I had assumed if you had the Entertainment package that adding the Sports Pack would give you access to all of the RSNs, even those in your home market. Can anyone clarify this?

It wasn't a question, but clarification would be welcome.

#50 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

That's not how it works. When you subscribe to Sports Pack, you are not subscribing to your local RSN, you are receiving all the other RSNs (outside your territory) and the additional channels that are part of the Sports Pack (Outdoor Channel, Universal Sports, etc).

Your local RSNs are part of your base package and provided based on your zip code. Different animal and much different cost structure.

Think of it this way. If you're in New York the YES Network, MSG, MSG +, and SNY demand high rates from cable, telco and satellite providers to deliver those channels to New York area customers in the various territories of the teams they offer (Mets, Yankees, Nets, Rangers, etc). However, those networks charge far less to allow YES to be delivered to a subscribe in Omaha, Nebraska. Plus, that customer in Omaha can't see the games anyway (only the non-games) without buying an out of market game package, which is another reason the cost structure is so different.

Thanks, Satelliteracer (and this time I'm quoting you so I don't look TOO crazy if your post gets deleted :)). This is actually what I was trying to clarify from your post that had been deleted.

Your explanation makes sense, but I still can't fathom charging those in the Philly area an extra 2 bucks to get the NY RSNs when they can't even get their own - is this really what is happening?

#51 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

It wasn't a question, but clarification would be welcome.

My bad - so are you saying that it is actually the case that people with Entertainment won't get their local RSNs by adding Sports Pack?

#52 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

My bad - so are you saying that it is actually the case that people with Entertainment won't get their local RSNs by adding Sports Pack?

That's what I concluded based on the same post by SR that you quoted. I had also assumed that Entertainment Pack plus Sports Pack would include local RSNs.

#53 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Yes-it's called the Entertainment Package.

No, it's not the Entertainment Package.

It was anticipated that this package was to be Choice Extra without sports but in reality it's also without many of the non-sports channels I watch like Military, Science, etc. So it's not a solution to those who do NOT want to pay this stupid new "regional sports" charge that don't watch sports.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#54 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

But the REAL reality of it, is that it was created to compete with DISH's AT120 pkg. (ie; the "cost conscious" new subscribers)

(from their own dealer adverts)

ENTERTAINMENT is filled with 140 channels customers want:

All the top entertainment channels: Disney, USA Network, AMC, FX, TBS, A&E, SyFy & more
The most popular lifestyle channels: E, Food Network, HGTV, RFD, Discovery & more
All of the major news: Fox News, CNN, CNBC, HLN, MSNBC, The Weather Channel & more
The sports they really want: All the major sports broadcast on network plus , ESPN, ESPN2

ENTERTAINMENT is perfect for good-quality customers looking to get all the great features of DIRECTV at an affordable price. For customers who are comparison/price shopping:

ENTERTAINMENT is comparable to Dish AT200, but for $10 less (after rebate)
It’s the same price as Dish’s AT120 (for the first 12 months, after rebate)

It has all the major sports coverage you want – it does not include specialty sports (Local RSNs) that are limited to coverage of specific teams

'course AFTER all the rebates/promo's run out...it's a different story, IMHO...

#55 OFFLINE   Nomo1

Nomo1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

Thanks, Satelliteracer (and this time I'm quoting you so I don't look TOO crazy if your post gets deleted :)). This is actually what I was trying to clarify from your post that had been deleted.

Your explanation makes sense, but I still can't fathom charging those in the Philly area an extra 2 bucks to get the NY RSNs when they can't even get their own - is this really what is happening?

In my original post, the CSR told me it was for the sports pack. When I called back, the second CSR had no idea. I understand that it's for the RSNs that have been assigned to me. What pi$$e$ me off is that even though I pay the fee to get MSG, I am not able to watch the Knicks game, based on an arbitrary zip code. Most of my county is able to see the games, but I am on the western edge, and am not due to my zip code. 10 miles to the south or east, give or take, and I am in the area. 20 miles to the north is Elmira NY, and I could get it there too. But not in the rural zip code in which I live. THAT is the crux of my discontent.

#56 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

What pi$$e$ me off is that even though I pay the fee to get MSG, I am not able to watch the Knicks game, based on an arbitrary zip code. Most of my county is able to see the games, but I am on the western edge, and am not due to my zip code. 10 miles to the south or east, give or take, and I am in the area. 20 miles to the north is Elmira NY, and I could get it there too. But not in the rural zip code in which I live. THAT is the crux of my discontent.

I completely agree. If you are not able to receive the same access to full programming content that everyone in the home market gets, then there is no way that you should be charged an additional $2.

#57 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

That explains the call I got from my father in law in CA. He tried to tune into a Lakers game and was greeted by a "not subscribed " message. I'll give him a call and let him know.

#58 OFFLINE   Nomo1

Nomo1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

I completely agree. If you are not able to receive the same access to full programming content that everyone in the home market gets, then there is no way that you should be charged an additional $2.

I had a call from directv today to attempt to explain this fee to me. at first he seemed to have no idea what he was talking about, and I'm still not convinced he knew what he was talking about. He waffled back and forth between if it was tied to the sportspak or not. He had to go ask around and call me back. He said it was so that I could get RSN s that were not part of my package ( I thought regional sports networks were part of a programming package, but oh well) . It seems as if I am being charged more because of my zip code. At least that was what he kept repeating. When I questioned him as to whether everyone who got MSG, YES, and whatever the third one is that plays Nets games had to pay the fee, he seemed to indicate that they did not. It was because of an increase in price to provide my area with RSNs. So for instance my sister in Scranton doesnt have to pay it for these RSNs plus a few more, nor does the New York City market. so this fee is arbitrarily assessed to my tiny corner of rural Pennsylvania. It seems to me that the logical place to recoup the fees would be in a larger market,such as NYC or SWB, but maybe they figure the rural customers, of which there are far fewer will not protest and just pay it. Either way it is a discriminatory practice to impose a fee on a particular area for the same services. And I don't even get access to all of the programming, because the NBA puts me out of their market, which again is bull because I would be in market if diretcv went by counties rather than zip codes. ( my zip code covers two counties). So frustrated with directv right now.

#59 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

When I questioned him as to whether everyone who got MSG, YES, and whatever the third one is that plays Nets games had to pay the fee, he seemed to indicate that they did not. It was because of an increase in price to provide my area with RSNs. So for instance my sister in Scranton doesnt have to pay it for these RSNs plus a few more, nor does the New York City market. so this fee is arbitrarily assessed to my tiny corner of rural Pennsylvania.

This information from the CSR is exactly opposite of what SR indicated in his post. Can anyone who actually lives in NYC confirm that they are being charged the additional $2 RSN fee?

#60 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

This information from the CSR is exactly opposite of what SR indicated in his post. Can anyone who actually lives in NYC confirm that they are being charged the additional $2 RSN fee?

Go back and read what SR said. Seems he said exactly what the CSR told nomo.

Here's the key part from SR. "Your local RSNs are part of your base package and provided based on your zip code. Different animal and much different cost structure"

What seems to be confusing people here is that zip code part. It's not DMA, but zip code. That's a signficant difference. You could be in the NYC DMA and not have the fee but another person in the DMA could have the fee because they are in a different zip code.

The way sports teams territories are derived are not at the DMA level but the zip code level. Having dealt with this in the past, this could mean that DTV is charged say $4.00 by one of the RSNs in the New York area in one zip code, but the guy living across the street in a different zip code DTV may only be charged $0.75. When you start adding up 3 or 4 RSNs, their costs are probably well over $10 to $12 in some of those zip codes.

The key is zip code, not DMA, not the city. Further complicated by team territories.

spam firewall