Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.00 Regional Sports Fee?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

CB, this is what I am referring to:

The fee is based on those with high cost RSNs as part of your base package, typically an area that has multiple RSNs.

If you're in New York the YES Network, MSG, MSG +, and SNY demand high rates from cable, telco and satellite providers to deliver those channels to New York area customers in the various territories of the teams they offer (Mets, Yankees, Nets, Rangers, etc).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,811 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

Satelliteracer ... can you please take this to the powers that be and have them add information about the "Regional Sports Fee" to the DIRECTV.com web site? Running a search there shows no information about this fee...

#63 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Here in Boston, where we have two RSN's....

I checked the "new prices" insert I received in my previous bill. It does not mention the $2 RSN fee shown on the pdf of the same insert from the link in post #24 on this thread. Otherwise it looks the same.

Tonight, I just got the first bill since the new prices took effect. No mention of the RSN fee on my bill - so maybe two RSN's doesn't invoke the fee?

#64 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:12 AM

Tonight, I just got the first bill since the new prices took effect. No mention of the RSN fee on my bill - so maybe two RSN's doesn't invoke the fee?

It may not just be the particular number of RSN's you get, but what they cost Directv. Those two that you get in Boston may not be as expensive as some others and so Directv isn't going to tack on the extra fee.

D* has to be careful here, but it wouldn't surprise me if this fee started to creep up every year until its in the $5-7 range for some markets.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#65 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

It may not just be the particular number of RSN's you get, but what they cost Directv. Those two that you get in Boston may not be as expensive as some others and so Directv isn't going to tack on the extra fee.

D* has to be careful here, but it wouldn't surprise me if this fee started to creep up every year until its in the $5-7 range for some markets.

Good point that what they cost DirecTV might be the key factor. Still, I wouldn't have thought they would pass up an option to add an extra fee, if its being applied in some markets! Hopefully it doesn't creep up (in cost) and creep across the country.

#66 OFFLINE   SPG900NY

SPG900NY

AllStar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

I'm in the NY metro area (Suffolk County, Long Island) and I get all the NY metro RSN's -- MSG, YES, etc. I just looked at my bill for 2/21 and there is no listing of a $2 fee for RSN's. Nothing unusual on my bill at all, actually. Strange.

#67 OFFLINE   JoeS

JoeS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

I got 'nailed' with the 2$ fee and my zip code borders New York City... 107XX

#68 OFFLINE   WalkGood

WalkGood

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

I live on Long Island in Suffolk County. My bill dated 2/23/12 has the new $2.00 Regional Sports Fee. Also my Premier package went up $5/month to $119.99 !!!

I called and asked WTF the Regional Sports Fee is about since I do NOT have any extra sports packages just what comes with Premier. I complained asking why I have to pay extra since the local sports channels like MSG, YES and SNY are already included n the VERY expensive Premier package.

They gave me $5 off a month for 3 months. I said "that's it? I'm a premiere customer since 1997!" They added another $5/month off for 6 months (some Starz channel rebate), concurrent. So 3 months of $10 off, and the 3 nonths of $5 off.

If you don't ask or don't complain, u get nada.

But I'll be beeyotchin again in 3 months and 6 months from now. I do not WANT to get cable vision but it will be infinitely LESS expensive than DirecTV. if FIOS was in my area I'd be all over it.

#69 OFFLINE   cnmurray8

cnmurray8

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

I received my March bill and it included the regional sports fee. I am in Central New Hampshire in the Boston DMA.

#70 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

I live on Long Island in Suffolk County. My bill dated 2/23/12 has the new $2.00 Regional Sports Fee. Also my Premier package went up $5/month to $119.99 !!!

I called and asked WTF the Regional Sports Fee is about since I do NOT have any extra sports packages just what comes with Premier. I complained asking why I have to pay extra since the local sports channels like MSG, YES and SNY are already included n the VERY expensive Premier package.

They gave me $5 off a month for 3 months. I said "that's it? I'm a premiere customer since 1997!" They added another $5/month off for 6 months (some Starz channel rebate), concurrent. So 3 months of $10 off, and the 3 nonths of $5 off.

But I'll be beeyotchin again in 3 months and 6 months from now. I do not WANT to get cable vision but it will be infinitely LESS expensive than DirecTV. if FIOS was in my area I'd be all over it.

Vote with your wallet. DirecTV pays nearly $10 per month to MSG, SNY, and YES combined per subscriber in the NY DMA. I doubt Cablevision is less expensive for everything once the promo rate expires.

#71 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

I just got charged this fee in the LA area. Seems a little silly when I only get the same 2 RSNs that I've had forever. My guess is they're charging now since they're anticipating a big re-up with the Dodgers, as well as the new Lakers & Pac-12 networks. I feel like I should get a discount because the only professional LA sports team I like is the Clippers, and I know their rights don't cost much. lol

#72 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

My parents have the reverse situation. They watch virtually EVERY Minnesota Twins games on their RSN, but couldn't care less about any other Minnesota sports, or cable sports in general. I know they would downgrade their base package and pay an extra RSN fee, but as Frank Costanza would say..."That's how they get ya!"
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#73 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that regional programming could require a regional fee if a particular region(s) regional programming was significantly more in cost than the national average. That's easier to explain than having regional package prices.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#74 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

I called in to complain about the "regional sports fee" when it appeared on my bill. The CSR was confused but looked up the info she had which pretty much agreed with what others here have said that it is a selective charge by ZIP code.

She thought it was ridiculous too so she immediately credited my account with $2.10 (the fee plus it's tax).

When the next bill comes out I'm sure the charge will be there again so I will once again call in and complain. I wonder if a crappy $2/month charge is worth losing a 12 year loyal customer who pays them over $100 a month?? It might come to that.

In any event, I plan on calling in and complaining EVERY MONTH that this charge shows up on my bill....even if I don't get it removed. It will probably cost DirecTV $2 just for wasting the CSR's time but at least I'll get some sort of satisfaction (and maybe some input up the chain as to how irked customers are about this).

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#75 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

What's so outrageous about asking customers with particularly higher sports-related programming costs to cover that additional cost?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#76 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

What's so outrageous about asking customers with particularly higher sports-related programming costs to cover that additional cost?

I think it starts with the fact that D* has not adequately explained the fee; their own employees (both on the phone and on this board) haven't been able to consistently explain the specific criteria for it being implemented; it seems to be unevenly applied in different geographic regions; and there is no explanation of any kind about the charge and to whom it applies on their website.

To name a few... :)

#77 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

You go Boston, lol......

#78 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

I too live in Suffolk and did not have the fee on my last bill. It seems the application of this fee is very selective.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#79 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Nickel and Dime, Nickel and Dime. The bubble is going to burst!

#80 OFFLINE   Nomo1

Nomo1

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

I think it starts with the fact that D* has not adequately explained the fee; their own employees (both on the phone and on this board) haven't been able to consistently explain the specific criteria for it being implemented; it seems to be unevenly applied in different geographic regions; and there is no explanation of any kind about the charge and to whom it applies on their website.

To name a few... :)

That is the truth. My beef with it is that I am charged for it for MSG when I can't even access all of the programming on it die to my zip code and stupid NBA blackout rules. And it appears from reading this that people in Long Island don't have to pay the fee for the same channels that are my rsn channels in northeast Pennsylvania, and I am charged for them. And yes, with gas pushing 4.00 a gallon, nickel and diming adds up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...