Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.00 Regional Sports Fee?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   cnmurray8

cnmurray8

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Anyone else in the boston dma getting charged this fee.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   dvisthe

dvisthe

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

I am in a DMA where I get the New York RSN's, and so far no fees on the bill, but if I have to take a $2 fee for them, and can't opt out, I'm going to be mad...especially since CSN Philly (the only one I'd want) isn't even available. Keep feeing it up D*...one step closer to dish retirement.

Odd, I live in Northeast PA also. My mom who lives about 1 mile from me got hit with the $2.00 charge. I did not.
The only difference is that I have my bill combined with Verizon (Triple Play)
But It still shows the breakdown of the charges and there is no $2.00 fee.

#83 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

Sounds like they're just charging randomly. I have yet to check & see if I've won their "lotto"..............

#84 OFFLINE   Boston Fan

Boston Fan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Based on the absence of responses in this thread from DirecTV employees to help clarify the issue, I'm guessing that the official policy on the matter is to just stop talking about it hope people forget about it.

#85 OFFLINE   Carolina

Carolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

It wasn't on my bill for this month.

#86 OFFLINE   cnmurray8

cnmurray8

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

So far it looks like parts of NYC and Boston areas are seeing this.

#87 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

How else do you expect Tom Brady and Alex Rodriguez to earn a decent living??? Come on, we can all chip in and make sure they don't end up on Food Stamps!
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#88 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

I just checked .... my accouont has not been charged the fee, but 6 miles from me my mother was charged the $2 fee on her February bill. We are both the same distance from NYC, our "regional sports center", so this is bizarre how it's applied to some and not others.

#89 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

I just checked .... my accouont has not been charged the fee, but 6 miles from me my mother was charged the $2 fee on her February bill. We are both the same distance from NYC, our "regional sports center", so this is bizarre how it's applied to some and not others.

Are there different cable TV carriers? One of the factors in assessing the fee could have been the competition in each area.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#90 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Are there different cable TV carriers? One of the factors in assessing the fee could have been the competition in each area.

There's only one cable provider here in Long island, Cablevision, and they have the same packages across the island. Verizon has Fios in some pockets, but it's not widespread.

I'm not upset at not being charged the monthly fee, but if DIRECTV is going to be selective, why not stop charging my mother? She'll use that extra $24 a year for scratch-offs... :)

#91 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

"Could be" isn't it, as I do have the fee this month and emailed about it.
Everyone in CA that has RSN in their program package, has been hit with this increase because Comcrap is charging more, so as they say "crap" flows down hill to the customers, whether they watch these channels or not.

Since DirecTV can find a way to add this as a line item for the bills, "they should" be able to find a way to remove these channels, without changing program packages, but...............
A.K.A VOS

#92 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

That is an excellent mention, I haven't thought of that for one second.

----

The conclusions I was coming up with may have to do with team-owned RSNs such as YES, SNY, NESN and their respective territories or those few areas that have RSNs from more than one region such as Hartford, CT where they would get all three.

I am currently in the Philadelphia DMA and according to the bill I've just received, I wasn't charged the $2 fee. Though I'll gladly pay it if it meant CSN Philly would be on D*, but I digress.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#93 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

So does anyone who lives in an area with RSN's that don't cost as much as normal get a discount?

#94 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

So does anyone who lives in an area with RSN's that don't cost as much as normal get a discount?

:confused: If the RSN supplier hasn't raised their price "excessively", there isn't the $2 line item, for these channels being in your program package.
I don't see where a discount would come in. :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#95 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Nickel and Dime, Nickel and Dime. The bubble is going to burst!

Completely agree.

And I think that burst is coming very soon.

I have friends that already dumped pay tv (mostly TWC) in favor of ota & internet. They`re saving over $1200 year and realizing they can go to a sports bar for sports, internet for other tv shows and still be way ahead monetarily.

Plus they rediscovered that they have a life.

#96 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Someone brought this up earlier, but for markets that are charged the $2 RSN fee there really should be an "RSN Package" for that market that customers can opt to add or remove from their accounts.

#97 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Exactly. We've always heard they are a national company that has to come up with a national price point. Fine. But for those people with RSNs warranting this fee it's not right they have to pay the base fee + $2 RSN fee and not be able to opt out of having them and not be charged it if they choose. And if that meant the next round of negotiations meant those same channels go up to $4 because theres less subs under that arrangement so be it. And yes, I say this knowing I have more than 1 RSN and could wind up with that fee 1 day.

#98 OFFLINE   sd610

sd610

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

If this charge means we finally will get CSN Philly, I'm all for it. But, if I'm charged $2 for MASN, I say no thank you. MASN is Washington/Baltimore RSN not Philly. The only thing MASN is good for is when the Phillies play the Nats.

#99 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

If this charge means we finally will get CSN Philly, I'm all for it. But, if I'm charged $2 for MASN, I say no thank you. MASN is Washington/Baltimore RSN not Philly. The only thing MASN is good for is when the Phillies play the Nats.

I think it's only charged to those with multiple RSNs and even then only some of those areas. Personally I think it's bs there's an extra charge for them at all, but if they insist then those who don't want it should have the option to opt out of them.

#100 OFFLINE   jerryb33

jerryb33

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

Sounds like they're just charging randomly. I have yet to check & see if I've won their "lotto"..............

I am in WNY 500 miles from the "CITY" and my zip code 142xx which is considered in the territory, and I have the charge on my bill.

spam firewall