Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.00 Regional Sports Fee?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

I live in a ZIP code just south of Milwaukee so I get two lousy RSN's that I never watch. One of them is a CHICAGO RSN! (Sports fanatics here HATE Chicago and all of their teams)

So far, I've had the charge removed TWICE from my bill by calling in and complaining. I'm going to call in each and every time that miserable, unfair, selective charge appears on my bill and I advise others to do so also. With DirecTV's fancy tracking system, I'm sure the more people who call in and complain, the quicker this little nickel-and-dimer will end.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

This charge just now appeared on my bill.:mad: Anybody else in the San Diego market getting charged this $2 Regional Sports Fee?

#103 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

This charge just now appeared on my bill.:mad: Anybody else in the San Diego market getting charged this $2 Regional Sports Fee?

Everyone in your zip code. The RSN's for your area are expensive...so you pay $2 more.
DTV = Digital Television

#104 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

go back a page and click on "Some hidden new fees" we are talking about this there.

#105 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

I live in a ZIP code just south of Milwaukee so I get two lousy RSN's that I never watch. One of them is a CHICAGO RSN! (Sports fanatics here HATE Chicago and all of their teams)

So far, I've had the charge removed TWICE from my bill by calling in and complaining. I'm going to call in each and every time that miserable, unfair, selective charge appears on my bill and I advise others to do so also. With DirecTV's fancy tracking system, I'm sure the more people who call in and complain, the quicker this little nickel-and-dimer will end.

At least you get CSN HD and CSN + HD time warner cable does not have CSN HD.

Sports fanatics the brat stop likes to have WGN 9 on tv there for sports and at times news.

Also people used to go to the brat stop back in days where you did not get to see the bears games on tv in Chicago (under the old NFL rules).
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#106 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

hidden in a way they don't disclose it to people in markets with several rsn's before they hit you with the fee.

Ha I just quoted this in another thread, which they do if they send you a bill insert with the price increase or email. But it's almost like "read the fine print" kind of thing near the bottom, If it was me getting that fee(which thankfully I'm not) I would call CSR to try to get some bill credits to offset that sports fee.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#107 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

After all my moaning and groaning about that obnoxious "regional sports fee" I was shocked to see it got REMOVED from my bill! Yup, I actually got a small retroactive credit from February 1 until my billing date (February 3).

I wonder if it is going to re-appear on my next bill which will include the price increase??

Perhaps DirecTV has re-evaluated which ZIP codes get the fee?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#108 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

After all my moaning and groaning about that obnoxious "regional sports fee" I was shocked to see it got REMOVED from my bill! Yup, I actually got a small retroactive credit from February 1 until my billing date (February 3).

I wonder if it is going to re-appear on my next bill which will include the price increase??

Perhaps DirecTV has re-evaluated which ZIP codes get the fee?

It should reappear since the cost of RSN's for your zip has not changed.
DTV = Digital Television

#109 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Does anyone know what markets this fee is for. I am in the Boston dma and do not see it on my recent activity.

I am in Boston and I just got my bill today. The $2 Regional Sports Fee is on my bill, must be because we have 2 RSN channels - CSNE and NESN. I must confess that i did not see this possible fee in the price increase notice. Not too happy about it but what can you do, although I think I will now do another price comparison with FIOS and COMCAST.

#110 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I am in Boston and I just got my bill today. The $2 Regional Sports Fee is on my bill, must be because we have 2 RSN channels - CSNE and NESN. I must confess that i did not see this possible fee in the price increase notice. Not too happy about it but what can you do, although I think I will now do another price comparison with FIOS and COMCAST.

FIOS just instituted a RSN fee of $2.42. No word yet on Comcast.

Here was the notification, if you got a bill insert or an email...right side shows $2.00 RSN fee.

http://www.directv.c...ncrease_RSN.pdf
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#111 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

FIOS just instituted a RSN fee of $2.42. No word yet on Comcast.

Here was the notification, if you got a bill insert or an email...right side shows $2.00 RSN fee.

http://www.directv.c...ncrease_RSN.pdf

Hey thank you for letting me know that FIOS also has the RSN fee.

Between this RSN fee and the other increases my bill is up $7 per month. I had a Comcast sales rep knock on my door last week with an offer for the HD Preferred Play Package with 2 DVR's for $119 a month. It looks like the Comcast lineup includes NHL Network, NBA TV, HBO, and Starz, none of which I have with my current DTV package. I did not pay that much attention to the offer I have been a happy DTV customer but I may take a closer look just to compare channels and price.

Edited by bossfan50, 14 February 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#112 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hey thank you for letting me know that FIOS also has the RSN fee.

Between this RSN fee and the other increases my bill is up $7 per month. I had a Comcast sales rep knock on my door last week with an offer for the HD Preferred Play Package with 2 DVR's for $119 a month. It looks like the Comcast lineup includes NHL Network, NBA TV, HBO, and Starz, none of which I have with my current DTV package. I did not pay that much attention to the offer I have been a happy DTV customer but I may take a closer look just to compare channels and price.

The worst thing you can do is compare a retail D* price to a promo price from another provider....they will ALWAYS be different.

#113 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

The worst thing you can do is compare a retail D* price to a promo price from another provider....they will ALWAYS be different.

Thank you for the tip. I am aware of the promo games that other providers play which is why I am a long time D* customer. I love my D* set up with Whole Home so I will think long and hard before changing providers.

#114 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

i have 2 rsn but dont have this fee....if i did get this fee i would be inclinded to go down to the entertainment package from the choice package where there are no rsn so i would not have to pay it as i do not normally watch either channel. when i want to watch the u of montana griz football games i have to subscribe to the sports pack for 3 months because they are on rocky mountain and i get nw and altitude even though they are only 120 miles away from me and i should get the fox sports rocky monuntain as one of my local regional sports channels.....go figure.

#115 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

i have 2 rsn but dont have this fee....

All RSNs do not charge DirecTV the same amount per viewer. Whether or not there is a fee is a function of the cost of the RSN to DirecTV and not how many RSN you receive.

#116 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

It's OK to do an extra fee. It would be more transparent though if the prices quoted included the RSN fees. An extra fee implies an extra service that can be removed at the customer's option. That's not the case with this fee.

#117 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

It's OK to do an extra fee. It would be more transparent though if the prices quoted included the RSN fees. An extra fee implies an extra service that can be removed at the customer's option. That's not the case with this fee.

Agree.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#118 OFFLINE   ct_vt_trekker

ct_vt_trekker

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I live in Ct zip code 064**
the charge 1.80 plus .22 tax was not on my paper invoice due 2/27 but when I logged on today it was there. They had a higher total "due" than what is on the mailed invoice. When I called and questioned them on this additional charge they did not offer any relief only that I could change my plan to the "family plan". I threatened to leave and still no relief was offered. I am a 12 year customer who never asked for any relief or special deals whatsoever. The handling of the extra charge is horrendous. I will be leaving over this as soon as my 2 year commitment is up. This charge plus the other increases this month amount to over $8 per month increase. As someone else said nickel and dime, nickel and dime....See ya.

I guess I'll play the 2 year switch game for the best deals and all new equipment every 2 years. Check it out everyone, do the calculations, you'll save a bundle.

Edited by ct_vt_trekker, 20 February 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#119 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,779 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I live in Ct zip code 064**
the charge 1.80 plus .22 tax was not on my paper invoice due 2/27 but when I logged on today it was there. They had a higher total "due" than what is on the mailed invoice. When I called and questioned them on this additional charge they did not offer any relief only that I could change my plan to the "family plan". I threatened to leave and still no relief was offered. I am a 12 year customer who never asked for any relief or special deals whatsoever. The handling of the extra charge is horrendous. I will be leaving over this as soon as my 2 year commitment is up. This charge plus the other increases this month amount to over $8 per month increase. As someone else said nickel and dime, nickel and dime....See ya.

I don't know your specific situation about the whole billing issue so I can't help clarify that, but you should know DirecTV's packages are priced nationally even though each region gets a different set of RSNs all charging the providers different rates. This is especially of note in parts of Connecticut where in addition to the NYC RSNs, some of them also get the New England RSNs.

With cable the packages are priced different in each system to account for that, so what you see on the DirecTV bill as an RSN fee is included as part of the expanded basic package on cable. So even if you do decide to leave DirecTV, you still will essentially be paying the RSN fee to the local cable company as they also include RSNs in their base pacakge. DirecTV does offer an entertainment package without RSNs and has some other popular cable channels, while in most areas the only package cable providers have that doesn't include RSNs is just locals, public access and shopping channels.

Edited by KyL416, 20 February 2013 - 08:57 PM.
clarifying Entertainment package

#120 OFFLINE   ct_vt_trekker

ct_vt_trekker

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

I guess I'll play the 2 year switch game for the best deals and all new equipment every 2 years. Check it out everyone, do the calculations, you'll save a bundle.

Interesting that I just quoted Comcast for my area. Their preferred lineup is almost exactly what I have through DTV. They quoted me 2 HD-DVRs with this and it comes to $73.89 year 1, $93.89 year 2. After the 2 years it's $113.00 almost exactly what I pay DTV now. So I'd save $480 in year 1 and $240 in year 2. Then it'd be exactly what Im currently paying.
Now I see why lots of people do the swtich every 2 years. The savings is considerable $720 over the 2 years. Then I could switch back to DTV or Dish. I'll leave the cables where they are so the install back to Sat would be easy.

spam firewall