Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.00 Regional Sports Fee?

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   forecheck

forecheck

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

I am in the SF DMA and got it too. Overall, it is a $7 increase this year which has to be the biggest yearly jump Directv has had. I expect a $3-$4 jump every year, but the one this year may finally push me into looking at the alternatives.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

i have 2 rsn but dont have this fee....if i did get this fee i would be inclinded to go down to the entertainment package from the choice package where there are no rsn so i would not have to pay it as i do not normally watch either channel. when i want to watch the u of montana griz football games i have to subscribe to the sports pack for 3 months because they are on rocky mountain and i get nw and altitude even though they are only 120 miles away from me and i should get the fox sports rocky monuntain as one of my local regional sports channels.....go figure.

I would check directv site in the channel package screen without logging in and put your zip code and choose any package then add a receiver(yes just like first time ordering) and checkout, it will show you the total with credits and at the bottom should say sports fee but ymmv.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#123 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

I would check directv site in the channel package screen without logging in and put your zip code and choose any package then add a receiver(yes just like first time ordering) and checkout, it will show you the total with credits and at the bottom should say sports fee but ymmv.

This idea so tempted me that I just did it!!

Sure enough, all kinds of double-talk and discounts but after wading through them all there was no mention anywhere about a REGIONAL SPORTS FEE at checkout even though PRIOR to my last bill it was there! So they MUST have changed my ZIP code to not have the fee anymore.

My biggest laugh was that I told the website I only had 1 TV but wanted a Genie. It cheerfully charged me a $25 "advanced receiver fee" which when highlighting the question mark told me that whole home service was included!

I also noted that their way of giving "free HD" was a so-called $10 discount for the first 24 months.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#124 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Ive done this, In NC ive checked Charlotte NC market which has Sport South, Fox Sports south and MASN, no fee.

Raleigh/Durham NC Masn and Fox Sports South, no fee.

Greenville NC Masn and Fox Sports South, no fee

#125 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Cablevision announced yesterday they are employing a sports surcharge as well, $2.98. By my count, that makes five of the major providers doing it.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#126 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Cablevision announced yesterday they are employing a sports surcharge as well, $2.98. By my count, that makes five of the major providers doing it.

They are sending a message which isn't surprising knowing the high increase fee at every negotiated contracts, that's why some people are asking for separate ala carte sports package including local RSN(to avoid the sports fee)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#127 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

It is strange to see a regional company add an RSN fee ... one would think that they would just adjust all of their prices - similar to the way cable companies with regional pricing have been able to charge more in some areas than others for many years.

This Cablevision charge seems to be more PR based. They will raise their rates just like they do at least every year but this year they will blame part of the rate increase on sports and express it as a surcharge. Other companies (including DirecTV) adding surcharges have opened the door for carriers to charge a specific surcharge for sports.

Article: Cablevision Adds Sports Programming Surcharge To Consumer Bills

#128 OFFLINE   IMTreble

IMTreble

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

I do not watch sports ever, any sports. They should offer a package for those of us with zero interest in sports. instead of ALL THOSE sports channels give us some others or a couple movie channels. I'd trade the hundred stupid sports channels for two or three good movie channels!

When I asked their phone support the girl gave me a "don't blame us blame someone else" answer but she could not tell me who that other person was. I asked is a California thing or county thing? she had no idea. The explanation on their site said exactly nothing too.

I did get them to give me the $2 back for a year though :)

#129 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

I do not watch sports ever, any sports. They should offer a package for those of us with zero interest in sports. instead of ALL THOSE sports channels give us some others or a couple movie channels. I'd trade the hundred stupid sports channels for two or three good movie channels!

When I asked their phone support the girl gave me a "don't blame us blame someone else" answer but she could not tell me who that other person was. I asked is a California thing or county thing? she had no idea. The explanation on their site said exactly nothing too.

I have 2 RSN's with very little pro-team coverage. You have around 5 or 6 RSN's with quite a bit of pro-team coverage. This is why you would have an extra $2 on your bill. Even though you do not watch sports, I'm willing to bet the cost of living is higher in your area as well. Higher cost of living would apply to your television service as well. Glad to hear they are giving you credit for it though. No matter what your cost of living is, it's always nice to not pay for something you have no use for.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#130 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

They do offer the entertainment package and it only has 2 sports channels, ESPN and ESPN2. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, I wish I could get a package with no movie channels and replace them with sports channels. My wife wouldn't be happy though.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#131 OFFLINE   cody21

cody21

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

I just received our April bill ... every few months I do a close review of the bill and just stumbled across this new $2 Sport fee ..  I went back thru my last few months bills and this appeared for the 1st time on my Feb bill for January.  I'm in the SF Bay Area - zip 94549  ....  I get so tired of this stupid nickel and diming, but honestly, they're all in collusion with each other. Just another Utilty company like Electric, Phone, Water, Garbage ...  what are you gonna do?

#132 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

I question the $2 fee for SF Bay Area customers.  The contracts with CSN Bay Area and CA were signed a year or more ago so nothing has changed there.  As of yet we still don't have Pac12 network(s) so they can't say that is why it went up.  Not sure how they came to the conclusion to add it now in this market.  If anything the Nor Cal market could be losing a team next year if the Kings do head to Seattle.  (the Kings are not aired in the SF Bay Area and the Warriors are not aired in the Sac market)  So as I look at it, over the last year I have lost programing (a lot of the Pac 12 games that use to be on CSN/FSN) and now I am being told I will be charged an added fee for less programing? Something isn't adding up here....I am a couple of cities east of Cody and would have all the same sports channels.

#133 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

I question the $2 fee for SF Bay Area customers.  The contracts with CSN Bay Area and CA were signed a year or more ago so nothing has changed there.  As of yet we still don't have Pac12 network(s) so they can't say that is why it went up.  Not sure how they came to the conclusion to add it now in this market.  If anything the Nor Cal market could be losing a team next year if the Kings do head to Seattle.  (the Kings are not aired in the SF Bay Area and the Warriors are not aired in the Sac market)  So as I look at it, over the last year I have lost programing (a lot of the Pac 12 games that use to be on CSN/FSN) and now I am being told I will be charged an added fee for less programing? Something isn't adding up here....I am a couple of cities east of Cody and would have all the same sports channels.

I have to agree with this.  As much as I understand the need for the $2 in many markets, this market doesn't seem to be one of them.  Maybe they will redefine the zip codes this applies to and alter it in the area.  Fingers crossed anyways.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#134 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

I have to agree with this.  As much as I understand the need for the $2 in many markets, this market doesn't seem to be one of them.  Maybe they will redefine the zip codes this applies to and alter it in the area.  Fingers crossed anyways.

...or maybe SF foks have been getting a deal for years. Who knows how much Comcast charges for those channels.

#135 OFFLINE   mesquito10

mesquito10

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV area.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

I am in the Las Vegas NV area and the $2.00 fee showed up on this months bill.  I looked at my account on line and cannot find which if any sports channels are included.  My zip code is 89027 Mesquite, NV which borders AZ state line and is around 30 miles from Utah state line.  I can receive some Calif. sports networks but AZ and UT teams are out of area and blacked out.  This  Sucks! The Calif state line is 120 miles to the southwest of here. 

#136 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

I am in the Las Vegas NV area and the $2.00 fee showed up on this months bill.  I looked at my account on line and cannot find which if any sports channels are included.  My zip code is 89027 Mesquite, NV which borders AZ state line and is around 30 miles from Utah state line.  I can receive some Calif. sports networks but AZ and UT teams are out of area and blacked out.  This  Sucks! The Calif state line is 120 miles to the southwest of here. 

http://www.directv.c...assetId=3450006

says you need sports pack to get the AZ teams.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#137 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

They are potentially risking ticking off sports fans in the Bay Area who are already upset about the lack of PAC-12.

Question: If you have the sports pack, do they still charge a RSN fee?

#138 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

I haven't seen this yet in the Reno area, and we have the Comcast sports channels from the Bay Area and Sacramento.  Only slightly annoying if we do get charged, since I never watch these channels and I pay gobs of money to watch the Islanders and Nets (NHLCI and League Pass Mobile).  Now, if only we could choose our RSN's... I would love to be able to trade CSNCA and CSN Bay Area for MSG+ and Yes.  Too bad it will never happen...

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#139 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,026 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

They are slowly pushing this fee to dmas that have multiple sports RSNs. Its been coming along for over a year, they seem to be implementing it slowly, I'd almost guess based on price increases for channels.

And Nevada is mostly California sports market so those RSNs from California usually flow to Nevada areas and therefore you get several of the RSNs and therefore have to pay the fee. That's caused by MLB, NHL, nba, etc, not DIRECTV on which RSNs and sports teams you are supposed to receive.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#140 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

It is strange to see a regional company add an RSN fee ... one would think that they would just adjust all of their prices - similar to the way cable companies with regional pricing have been able to charge more in some areas than others for many years.

This Cablevision charge seems to be more PR based. They will raise their rates just like they do at least every year but this year they will blame part of the rate increase on sports and express it as a surcharge. Other companies (including DirecTV) adding surcharges have opened the door for carriers to charge a specific surcharge for sports.

Article: Cablevision Adds Sports Programming Surcharge To Consumer Bills

Charter charges a "local channel recovery fee" in response to retransmission fees from local channels. It's all about pushing the blame for fee increases onto the channels and off the cable companies, and to be honest, I can't blame them. People moan and complain about cable increases but when the cost of the product goes up, the cable and satellite companies have no choice but to pass the fees on.

Except that they can't do that. Fox, Comcast, and Disney hold their entertainment channels hostage and in order to offer you USA Network, FX, or Disney Channel, they have to also give you NBC Sports Network, Fox Sports 1, and ESPN.

spam firewall