Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Alaska channel availability

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Falcon164016

Falcon164016

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

I'm currently using Dish, but I'm looking into switching providers to DirecTV. I live in Oklahoma; however, next fall I'll be moving up to Anchorage, Alaska. If I go with the Entertainment or Choice packages, will I still receive those same channels when I move up there, or will I be stuck with some sort of abbreviated lineup since I'll be so far north/west? It's tough to get a straight answer from a CSR.

Also, slightly off topic, does anyone know if it will cost me anything to have my system installed once I move up there? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'm currently using Dish, but I'm looking into switching providers to DirecTV. I live in Oklahoma; however, next fall I'll be moving up to Anchorage, Alaska. If I go with the Entertainment or Choice packages, will I still receive those same channels when I move up there, or will I be stuck with some sort of abbreviated lineup since I'll be so far north/west? It's tough to get a straight answer from a CSR.

Also, slightly off topic, does anyone know if it will cost me anything to have my system installed once I move up there? Thanks.

I'd call a retailer in Anchorage. I'm almost positive you will get the entire line-up (including HD) you just may need a larger dish.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

You'd get the same channels, the major networks there are in HD (CW is SD). Only potential issue is line of sight, things are closer to the horizon, but not something I'd worry about yet. You would want no obstructions very close to the horizon in that specific area.

Think a 4 foot dish is used up there,

You can use the Movers Connection, free install.
http://www.directv.c.../content/movers

And if they find there is no line of sight, you are released from the contract.

#4 OFFLINE   Falcon164016

Falcon164016

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for all of the info. I'll try giving one of the retailers a call in the morning when they're open. The CSR on the DirecTV 1-800 number was more concerned about selling me my current install than they were providing information on whether or not service will be available. It sounds like I'll also have some help in breaking the contract penalty free if need be, since I'm military.

#5 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

You can get every channel offered elsewhere by DTV up here in Alaska (a leg up that they have on Dish - which does not offer their entire programming here). However the dishes are much larger. Until recently you needed two 4 foot dishes to receive most programming (3 dishes if you wanted International packages) but now they have it down to one 4 foot dish (or 2 for the international stuff).

If you have a flat roof they may do a non-penetration install - they will mount your dishes to cinderblocks or other types of bricks. You will have to pay your installer directly for those bricks. Weight on roofs is a concern, since each set of bricks weighs ~ 400 lbs. If you have a slanted roof it will be a typical install. I've been up here 3 years and with all the snow/ice/wind, never lost signal once (more than a couple of seconds). There's only a handful of installers in the Anchorage area but they are very good!

spam firewall