Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Almost signed up for HD

whole-home

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

Almost took the plunge for the HD package with Dish but they would not let me pay annually (where you get one free month) because the receiver would be leased. I presently pay annually for AT 200. The difference in cost of the one free month, while small, was significant enough to give me pause. Hope Dish reviews this policy sometime soon.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,272 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

Some of the saddest life stories I've ever heard start with "I almost..." or "I wish I had..."

I've been enjoying television in high definition since 2003. You're depriving yourself of some amazing imagery, especially on sports and nature programming. Maybe one day you'll get your billing just the way you want it.

But don't wait too long.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

I see your principled argument but I'd have to balance that against what I was missing by not having HD. I assume you've invested in an HD television. How much did you invest? Paying monthly instead of annually is 9% more per year. Wouldn't it be worth it to get the best performance from you HD television? If the $$ are enough to break your budget that's a whole different problem.

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

According to the forum csr there is no more annual subscriptions from Dish starting this year.

#5 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Yeah if you make any changes to your account while it has the annual programming it will lose the grandfathered package and you will be stuck without.
Even something as simple as adding the protection plan for a service call will change your pack.

Sooner or later your going to change your pack around and lose the annual grandfathered deal. So you might as well take the plunge now and get something as awesome as HD out of it.

#6 OFFLINE   ZipDeDoo

ZipDeDoo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

I understand the principle you are standing on but if it's just money then use the club dish to reduce your monthly bill by 50 dollars. If you run out of friends to refer for service then find a local retailer and give them your dish club cards to use. $500 a year beats a free month of service.

#7 OFFLINE   Satpro92

Satpro92

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

I understand the principle you are standing on but if it's just money then use the club dish to reduce your monthly bill by 50 dollars. If you run out of friends to refer for service then find a local retailer and give them your dish club cards to use. $500 a year beats a free month of service.

I agree about using club dish cards,they are a great way to save money on your bill.As long as you have friends to refer that is,but,no retailer is going to use your cards without an actual referral (or at least I wouldn't).

We get $50 less in payments when a new customer is a club dish referral verses a new non club dish customer(an acceptable trade for getting a new customer).

#8 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

Considering that an HD receiver upgrade is FREE for HD service (despite whatever savings you're getting with annual payments or whatever) is a no-brainer. Even if you DON'T have an HD set, the HD feeds are compatible with SD TVs (by setting the receiver to display in 4:3 which letterboxes HD feeds) and are clearer and more detailed than the SD feeds.
END OF LINE

#9 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

I didnt know there was an "HD package". As I understand it, HD is "Free for life" an all you hafta do is signup for a.) paperless billing b.) 2 yr commitment c.) CC autopay. Of course whether signing up for any of these would throw your account out of grandfathered status, I do not know. HD recvrs are fairly inexpensive. the 211 is $120, while the 222k is $115 (allthough I got mine off ebay for $99).

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#10 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

DishAmerica are HD packages...
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#11 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

Almost took the plunge for the HD package with Dish but they would not let me pay annually (where you get one free month) because the receiver would be leased. I presently pay annually for AT 200. The difference in cost of the one free month, while small, was significant enough to give me pause. Hope Dish reviews this policy sometime soon.

Maybe you need to call DISH again and talk to somebody else. I have paid annually for the DISH programming package for at least the last 10 years. Last year, I upgraded to a HD receiver (leased) and still pay annually.

#12 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

They changed it so that you can no longer do an annual payment.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#13 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Rasputin is right. Annual payments are no longer available to add, but customers that do not change the package they get annually still get that. Just adding receivers should not change your base package from annual payments. You cannot add the HD package to be paid annually however. That was never an option, IIRC. However, why not get HDFFL when you upgrade anyway, like others have stated?
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#14 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

Took the plunge and order HDFFL. Thanks everyone for the info!!

#15 OFFLINE   ls1dreams

ls1dreams

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

How are you liking HD? I'm trying to get my parents to push from SD to HD finally after 2 years of using their 40" LCD on composite cables!

#16 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Am enjoying it very much. We had actually had HD with Cablevision for 3 years and the picture quality that we have with Dish HD is far superior than that we had on HD with cable. Plus the pricing is better with Dish.

#17 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

HD is great! Make the plunge. Everything is so nice and clear. Colors are fantastic. It's a whole different viewing experience. I look forward to watching TV again.

Michael

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whole-home

Protected By... spam firewall...And...