Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Announces Q4-2011 and Full Year 2011 Results - Conf Call Today

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   keith61

keith61

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hah! :lol:

And :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Oh, think I forgot to add sarcasm here. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

I for one, am happy to see DirecTV doing well! I will happily pay money to them, because they offer what I want, Sports! And for the record, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than what I was paying the [cable company] 2 months ago (even after my first year is up, it will be cheaper)

They are running a smart business, they know what the majority of the people want, and they deliver it.

Mod Edit in red.

Edited by Scott Kocourek, 21 February 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Oh, think I forgot to add sarcasm here. :)

OK, but now I am confused! I meant no sarcasm in my reply.

I do guess you are a returnee with a new handle?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

I was reading the transcript and it said somewhere in there that on March 29 will be investor day. But I was wondering if that applies only to Directv Latin America or the actual USA.

#25 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

We'll have to wait and see. They managed to create a pretty good stir last year with several of the added channels.

I'm guessing that there will be a few HD channels that will show up on 119W this year that will fall into the category of less broad (not to mention that many can't receive them even if they did appeal).

More HD is coming and it's not on 119
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#26 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

More HD is coming and it's not on 119

I can't picture many more (If any) English language channels being on 119.

#27 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

And what "broad appeal" HD is DirecTV lacking and not planning to add?

I'm going to say Epix 1, 2, & 3

AMC is now HD
Don't recall if FMC or TCM are HD
The ever requested BBCA HD

No way to know if they are really planning to add them as saying we want to add so and so channel before it is a signed deal is a great way to drive the price up.

Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#28 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

The fact that the ARPU leaped over $100/month mark is likely to cause subscribers to take a serious look at what they're spending.

That the average DIRECTV subscriber is paying $101.38 is pretty scary and really drives home the idea that they're making a whole lot of money on fees for stuff other than programming.

Isn't this like the 13th straight quarter you have pretty much predicted doom and gloom for DirecTV?

And they keep growing.

Guess they have a better handle on their numbers than you do.

BTW, the average customer is probably nowhere near a basic customer. I think SatRacer has said that the majority of customers have premiums of some type (movies and/or sports). Sports (something your provider has little of) will drive the cost to the average sub way up.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#29 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,804 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

I'm going to say Epix 1, 2, & 3

AMC is now HD
Don't recall if FMC or TCM are HD
The ever requested BBCA HD

No way to know if they are really planning to add them as saying we want to add so and so channel before it is a signed deal is a great way to drive the price up.

Cheers

None of those are "broad appeal" channels; none are in the top 40 for total daily ratings.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#30 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Isn't this like the 13th straight quarter you have pretty much predicted doom and gloom for DirecTV?

I'm not predicting anything. I'm simply offering up numbers that may or may not (typically not) support the claims of joy-joy from the apologists.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'm not predicting anything. I'm simply offering up numbers that may or may not (typically not) support the claims of joy-joy from the apologists.

But why do you feel the need to rain on anyone's parade? Just trying to rein in things? Or reign over a forum? :D

True apologists may need slapping hard from time to time, but really.........
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#32 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

I hate it when American companies are profitable. :rolleyes:

You do realize they are announcing 2011 earnings which have nothing to do with their 2012 cost structure. Their programming rates are going up 10% this year, thus they are raising prices to keep their profitability margins in tact so they can do things like launch more HD and all the other complaints people have.

They rose prices by 4% compared to Dish's increase of 10-15% last year, I'd say they are doing better than most companies at raising prices.

#33 OFFLINE   alirelan720

alirelan720

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

You think they could afford to add some new HD channels.

Directv has triple the amount of HD channels Dish has..:nono2:

#34 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

Direct TV made money! I'll drink to that. Wait, why would I drink to that?

#35 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

They rose prices by 4% compared to Dish's increase of 10-15% last year, I'd say they are doing better than most companies at raising prices.

Actually, Dish's rates rose 3.5%, 3Q11/3Q10. Dish will announce 4Q11/4Q10 ARPU hike this week.

----------------------------
http://seekingalpha....iber-loss-soars

Average monthly subscriber churn rate in the third quarter of 2011 was 1.83% compared with 1.98% in the year-ago quarter. Average revenue per user (ARPU) in the reported quarter was $76.99 compared with $74.36 in the prior-year quarter. Average subscriber acquisition cost in the last quarter was $789 compared with $795 in prior-year quarter.
----------------------------

During 4Q11, DTV's ARPU increased 4.9%.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#36 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

... You do realize they are announcing 2011 earnings which have nothing to do with their 2012 cost structure. Their programming rates are going up 10% this year, thus they are raising prices to keep their profitability margins in tact so they can do things like launch more HD and all the other complaints people have.

Somebody mentions this fact every year. Obviously they raise the rates enough in early 2011 to more then offset the higher costs and once again attain record profits in 2011. So now they raised them again in 2012, so that next years profit will beat this years.

With that said, I'm a happy customer who is glad they take care of good customers, by granting discounts, free upgrades, etc that are requested. Obviously, those that are willing to settle for paying list price are contributing to the record profits. If you are one of them, you should be proud of your accomplishments.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#37 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

The channels are gonng HAVE to do something. People are NOT going to continue to pay higher and higher fees. I don't care WHAT channels people want, most people are not going to pay too much more than $100 a month for Tv! They'll drop down to absolute basics or go with OTA and/or streaming.

I'd say that's exactly why they have added the entertainment package...

#38 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

Can you offer which satellite said programming might be bounced off of? The physics of satellite TV broadcasting is largely independent of what TV provider you subscribe to.

They still have room on the other sats for more hd. 10 to 12 channels, maybe even more depending on a few other things.

No one can expect any regular hd channels to ever show up on 119 again, it would go against everything they have been doing for the last 4 years, and all their plans they have stated going forward, making that idea illogical. Of course, illogical is what you seem to specialize in when it comes to predicting anything that has to do with Directv and what is happening with them.... :nono2:

#39 OFFLINE   Skiman

Skiman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

Direct TV made money! I'll drink to that. Wait, why would I drink to that?

You're right - why would we want any American-based company to make money? They should all be losing money by giving away everything for free... that'll help the economy and prevent job losses,. :nono2:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
Two HR23s, Two HR24s, HR21, H21
Legacy to SWM hardware

DirecTV Customer Since 2001

#40 OFFLINE   Carolina

Carolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

I'm all for DirecTV and other American Companies like GM making money :) And I will continue to stick with the companies that give me what I want be it in the area of TV or cars!

spam firewall