Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NBC Sports Vs Versus

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Which did you prefer Versus or NBC Sports? (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Which did you prefer Versus or NBC Sports?

1. I prefer the programming on NBC Sports. (28 votes [45.90%])

Percentage of vote: 45.90%

2. I preferred the programming on Versus (2 votes [3.28%])

Percentage of vote: 3.28%

3. There are things I liked about both, so it's a tie. (12 votes [19.67%])

Percentage of vote: 19.67%

4. I never watched either and really don't care. (19 votes [31.15%])

Percentage of vote: 31.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

With the change that happened, I find myself watching NBC Sports a lot more then I watched Versus. They just seem to have programming that is more interesting to me. The sports coverage seems to be more mainstream and they really improved the NHL coverage. Plus the HD picture quality seems so much better to me, especially the NHL games. I was wondering what others thought about the change?

Edited by RACJ2, 16 February 2012 - 03:18 PM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

I only watched Vs. for Indy car and bicycling and if they don't carry that then I won't have a reason to watch NBC Sports. I didn't answer the poll because I've yet to view it. But again if they do carry the stuff I watch and the HD quality is better then I'm all for it.

#3 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

All I watch on this channel is the NHL and that hasn't changed. Interesting they are adding MLS this year though.

#4 OFFLINE   1995hoo

1995hoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts
  • LocationFairfax County, VA

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

I normally only watch the NHL and the Tour de France on Versus, so I haven't noticed any change. I might watch their MLS coverage. I always found the picture to be pretty good, especially compared to our RSN's (CSN Mid-Atlantic), so I have no comment there.

One thing I noted that is kind of cheesy but that I kind of liked anyway was that when the channel was called Versus, they put their logo in the middle of the score box graphic so it would read, for example, "New York [VS] Washington" where "[VS] denotes their logo of that circle with "VS" in it. Hardly a big deal, of course, just a nice little touch.

The change they could make that I'd like would be to get rid of Emrick and Milbury on their NHL broadcasts. Emrick's style and voice simply irk me; he's not a bad announcer per se, but even my wife said "this guy sounds constipated" during last Monday's game. His constant groans make it sound like he's trying to squeeze out a dump. Milbury just goes out of his way to be an arsehole and then gets angry when any of the other guys MIGHT be seen as disagreeing with him.

#5 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

All I watch on this channel is the NHL and that hasn't changed. Interesting they are adding MLS this year though.

I mainly watch NHL games and sports talk shows. I like Turning Point, NBC Sports Talk and NHL Overtime. And don't you think the NHL HD broadcasts are much brighter and sharper then they were on Vs?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#6 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

They had the same stuff and personalities on it before and after the name change, so I'm not sure what the difference is (besides the name and graphics). And I preferred the hockey graphics when it was VS (particularly how they indicated PPs/time).

I watch it for hockey (come playoff time) and their limited college basketball (MWC) and college football coverage. Same when it was VS. That's all I watch on it. If they increase their college basketball offerings (like they've done by acquiring the CAA rights), I'm sure I'll watch it more.

#7 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,173 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

they do have more hockey games this season. and every game of the playoffs will be on nbc, nbc sports net and cnbc!

#8 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

I only watch for cycling, and that has not changed. I just wish NBC would bring cycling coverage (and picture quality) on Universal Sports up to the level that it is on OLN/Versus/NBC Sports/whatever-the-name-will-be-the-next-time-I-watch-it.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,919 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Interesting poll but since NBC/Comcast re-branded Versus it doesn't really matter. It isn't as if Versus will come back because it never really went away.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#10 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

I mainly watch NHL games and sports talk shows. I like Turning Point, NBC Sports Talk and NHL Overtime. And don't you think the NHL HD broadcasts are much brighter and sharper then they were on Vs?

I think the HD broadcasts look a little better than they used to but still not as good as MSG or CSN-Bay area or Chicago. It's weird how telecast looks can vary even on the same channel, I watched Nashville vs. Detroit last week on the Nashville channel and it looked strangely orange-tinted, usually that channel looks at least OK.

#11 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

VS had ufc programming, which is all i watched on the channel, but that programming moved to fuel. i have not watched nbc sports yet, but i hope they can compete with espn, i hate espn.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

I'm moving this to the Sports Programming forum so everyone can join in!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

I have noticed that myself. Not that Versus was bad, but Yes.

#14 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

They had the same stuff and personalities on it before and after the name change, so I'm not sure what the difference is (besides the name and graphics). And I preferred the hockey graphics when it was VS (particularly how they indicated PPs/time).

I watch it for hockey (come playoff time) and their limited college basketball (MWC) and college football coverage. Same when it was VS. That's all I watch on it. If they increase their college basketball offerings (like they've done by acquiring the CAA rights), I'm sure I'll watch it more.

Some of the changes really happened when the merger took place. The format and personalities on the NHL pre and post game shows all changed from last season, except for Keith Jones. And the crew that does the games is now the same as on NBC. So there have definitely been changes with the merger/name change. And they also added Bob Costas to some of the shows like Costas Tonight.

Interesting poll but since NBC/Comcast re-branded Versus it doesn't really matter. It isn't as if Versus will come back because it never really went away.

Mike

No Vs is not coming back, but that wasn't the point of the poll. I wanted to know if people have noticed the changes or just don't tune in. And to see if the majority like the changes, including some of the new programming like Turning Point and NBC Sports Talk. Or they preferred the old Vs with shows like T Ocho, Wacked Out Sports and Sports Soup.

Although now that the threads been moved, it may lose a lot of exposure in the Sports forum.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#15 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 935 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

I don't usually tune in the channel; but I do like the name change. NBC Sports Network is more a standout than Versus (or Vs.). This rebranding was a smart move.

#16 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Is the Bike Race on NBC sports or not. that's all I would watch on Versus

#17 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

I only watch NHL games on NBC Sports... it nice to have the extra game (Sunday Nights) now.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

I watch programs that I like (sports and non-sports). I don't pay any attention to what channel/network they're on.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#19 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'm moving this to the Sports Programming forum so everyone can join in!

Is this channel called Universal Sports now?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#20 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Is this channel called Universal Sports now?

No.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...