Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Food Network drops chef Anne Thornton

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

From Fox News:

Television dessert diva Anne Thornton lost her sweet deal with the Food Network after brass discovered some of her decadent delights were reheats from cookbooks and super chefs like Martha Stewart and the Barefoot Contessa, sources said.
Thornton -- whose show, "Dessert First," launched on the foodie channel in October 2010 -- was told the popular program would not be renewed when its second season ended.
"The network was very concerned because many of her recipes were close, with only a few minor edits, to other chefs' recipes," a source close to the production said Wednesday.

Among the sweet sensations that raised eyebrows were the frosting for Thornton's German Chocolate Cupcakes, a near replica of Martha Stewart's 2009 Coconut-Pecan Frosting recipe, give or take a handful of pecans and a dollop of butter.
And the New York pastry chef's Luscious Lemon Squares were very similar to a 1999 recipe from Ina Garten, also known as the Barefoot Contessa.
A recipe Thornton cooked up for Mascarpone-Stuffed French Toast closely mimicked one published in 2006 in the cookbook "The Essence of Chocolate." A side-by-side comparison of those two recipes shows Thornton added orange zest to the mix and topped hers with strawberry, rather than maple syrup.
The wording of the cooking instructions is also very similar.
"The network discovered the similarities during the second season of the show," a source said. "They went back and reviewed her first season, and discovered what looked like copying then, too."
A Food Network spokeswoman declined to address whether there was any issue over the origin of Thornton's recipes Wednesday.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

I don't watch the channel. It's blocked out of my Guide. I have no idea who the person in question is, but .......

Aren't ALL recipes just minor variations of each other?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

While I don't watch Food Network all that much (doubt I have watched anything on it in the last 3 years), I am familiar with her name.

Yes, I always thought they were as well.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#4 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Don't know her either. Since Alton left, I have dropped my viewing to occasional at best.

#5 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

My suspicions were confirmed after a Google images search, she wasn't good enough looking to stay on the network me thinks.

#6 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

I watch this channel, but I've never seen this show.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Don't know her either. Since Alton left, I have dropped my viewing to occasional at best.

He's working on a new show (of his own).

#8 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

My suspicions were confirmed after a Google images search, she wasn't good enough looking to stay on the network me thinks.

She's much better looking than Anne Burrell on the same channel.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hmmm. My generation was used to:

Posted Image

This "wasn't good enough looking to stay on the network", really:

Posted Image

You're supposed to be looking at the food.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, it was kind of between Julia and Graham Kerr for cooking shows.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#11 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

He's working on a new show (of his own).

For Food Network? That would be great, as long as it is not like that travel/food thing he did. I like the instructive nature of the Good Eats show. That man taught me how to cook, no two ways about it.:D

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

For Food Network? That would be great, as long as it is not like that travel/food thing he did. I like the instructive nature of the Good Eats show. That man taught me how to cook, no two ways about it.:D

Food Files (don't know if that's a tentative title) with "nagging food questions and interesting issues".

#13 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Food Files (don't know if that's a tentative title) with "nagging food questions and interesting issues".

Maybe it will be a bit more adult. The only thing I cringed a bit with the old program was the theme acting. I understand they were meant to help with memory placement. But the way he used props to represent interactions was enough without the silly skits. Watched every show, but it turned a bit juvenile at times. Or was I a bit old for the show.:scratchin

Protected By... spam firewall...And...