Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Losing OTA channels periodically

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   insimbi

insimbi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I've been having an issue lately where my OTA channels are just missing from my Guide completely. I have to reboot the 922 and wait 10 mins before they show back up again. Quite a pain when I'm recording 2 shows and want to then watch an OTA channel and it's not available.

Has anyone else experienced this or know of a solution?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

My project this afternoon is to put in my 3rd MT2 module. The first 2 stopped tuning some channels, but I never had channels drop from the guide. Recording events wouldn't show in the DVR list even though the daily schedule showed "completed."
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

I have had a few times when my OTA data becomes corrupt. Hasn't happened in a while (fingers crossed) but I have seen the database completely filled with garbage... and that required a full reset before I could scan again.

Other than that... the only time I've seen channels go away is if I was screwing with my antenna setup or the local station was having issues.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

I have had a few times when my OTA data becomes corrupt. Hasn't happened in a while (fingers crossed) but I have seen the database completely filled with garbage... and that required a full reset before I could scan again.

This same thing happened to me this morning. When I first turned on the receiver I had the aquiring sat. signal message. At first I thought it was because of the inch of wet snow we had overnight. When the signal did come back though I had the sat. channels but no OTA. When I tried to re-scan the locals all I had were weird computer symbols were the channel list should be and the 922 wouldn't scan. I will do a re-boot tonight.

I posted this on the "other" forum earlier today. Several people there have also reported this issue.

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 21 February 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Thanks. First day with the quote button apparently:)

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thanks. First day with the quote button apparently:)

No problem... It is easier for me to just fix it (close the quote) when I see a glitch like that on a reply :)

Fortunately, regarding the OTA corruption, I've only had the massive corrupted OTA happen a couple of times. A few other intermittent problems, but the really nasty one like you just experienced is fortunately a rarity.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

I did a front panel re-set yesterday which brought the 922 back to the point of being able to re-scan my locals which I did last night. I had deleted all of the alien symbols from the channel list when I was trying to re-scan yesterday before the re-boot. Not sure if I had left that info there whether the channels would have come back on there own after the re-set or not. The guide data for about 1/2 of my locals came back right away. The rest had guide data by this morning.

Somewhat of a pain but everything is back to normal now.

Edited by JeffN9, 22 February 2012 - 09:43 AM.
spelling

#8 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

It still does,but the issue is deeper than that,people need to access what is happening and make the proper adjustments.Dish is beta testing the Hopper and Joey,it has PTAT which has to do with locals on satellite.I see changes in my guide every day and sometimes several times a day in my guide with my HD locals,while I don't see any problems with my SD locals.

I bought my 922/wMT2 because at the time it was not offered by DISH,I wanted the new format to see and test it for myself.Here is my solutions to the problems I have seen:

I took out my MT2,to be reinstalled at a later time when issues subside.

I set up my local channel timers to use my SD channels only(setup guide option for SD&HD).

Make sure my guide list is always set to My Channels,no other option.

I do not do a Favorites List because it will get jumbled up with these issues.

I try to stay away from going into Duo Mode when I do I lose timers.

These are a few of my solutions to make things work right on my 922,the people that are running the 722k are also experiencing similar issues.

Good Luck!.

#9 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Last night and continuing into this morning when trying to switch from a OTA channel to a sat. channel the aquiring sat. signal message comes up and basically freezes everything. The only way I could navigate away from that was to go into the menu and pull up the guide from there and select a OTA channel to go back to. I did not try going to another sat. channel so I don't know if that would have worked.

My guess is that this is somehow related to the last problem. Removing the MT2 module is not a very good option for me since the only way I get my local channels in HD is OTA. I have western arc and my locals in HD are on 61.5 (eastern). From what I've been reading about eastern arc and snow I may never switch. I could watch the locals in sd but yuck!

Edited by JeffN9, 23 February 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

It still does,but the issue is deeper than that,people need to access what is happening and make the proper adjustments.Dish is beta testing the Hopper and Joey,it has PTAT which has to do with locals on satellite.I see changes in my guide every day and sometimes several times a day in my guide with my HD locals,while I don't see any problems with my SD locals.

I bought my 922/wMT2 because at the time it was not offered by DISH,I wanted the new format to see and test it for myself.Here is my solutions to the problems I have seen:

I took out my MT2,to be reinstalled at a later time when issues subside.

I set up my local channel timers to use my SD channels only(setup guide option for SD&HD).

Make sure my guide list is always set to My Channels,no other option.

I do not do a Favorites List because it will get jumbled up with these issues.

I try to stay away from going into Duo Mode when I do I lose timers.

These are a few of my solutions to make things work right on my 922,the people that are running the 722k are also experiencing similar issues.

Good Luck!.

The main problem I was having was when I bought my 922 and activated it ,the previous owner's local channels kept appearing in my guide.This was what was messing up my local channels programming information and causing issues with recordings.

After trying resets and discussing the problem with DISH Advanced Tech,they recommended sending out a technican who when arriving and seeing what my problem was also called DISH Advanced Tech and both of them was able to correct my problems.

So now yesterday I reinstalled my MT2 Module and it looks like my problems for now have been solved.But I will continue to test and search for problems that may show up and report them here.:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...