Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to hook up speakers

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

OK, thanks. Will do that just as soon as I grab a roll of speaker wire and crawl up under the house again. Appreciate everyones help.

Kitty is happy her warming amp isnt moving :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

At the risk of offending members who have invested huge sums in home theater installations, let's get this straight: in a 6.1 or 7.1 surround system, the sixth and seven channels are derived from the surrounds. Dolby Digital is a 5.1 system,where the 5 channels are as follows: front left and right, center, and side surrounds -- note the emphasis citing sides, not backs as one commonly finds in home theater installations (my family room is prewired with 6.1 configuration, conforming to the typical rear surrounds plus center rear -- oh, well.).
Here's a very good article presenting the case for 5.1 surround: http://www.digitaltr...-the-71-parade/

We can all be enticed by Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, but in truth (sadly) most of us will not benefit from these two formats even though one or the other may be available on our Blu-ray players. Further, quite often, side surround speakers may not be an option for us due to room layout. Therefore, we're constrained to use rear speakers to fill our sound fields. In my home, we have four rooms with surround sound systems. In all four, we're stuck with using rear surround speaker configurations. Two rooms have 5:1 surround and two have 6:1 surround.
Looking back at what you currently have for speakers, I'd suggest the following: get your two surround speakers up off the floor. If possible, have them on the side walls even with or slightly behind the seating position, placed a few feet above ear level. Keep your two existing KB-15 front speakers as they are. Try using one of your other KB-15 speakers in place of the Optimus to see if sound quality is improved. If not, I'd replace the Polks with the KB-15's as ssurrounds and possibly at a future date, replace the Optimus with a better center channel speaker. I'd probably change the crossover frequency on the sub to 120 or 150 Hz as an experiment. Definitely, if you change speakers around, rerun the speaker setup. If you're still inclined to go with a 6:1 configuration, don't be surprised if it doesn't knock your socks off.

Edited by Cholly, 20 February 2012 - 12:38 PM.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#23 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

A good source for information on this topic is Dolby Home Theater Speaker Placement and Set Up Guide.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#24 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

A good source for information on this topic is Dolby Home Theater Speaker Placement and Set Up Guide.

And here's the clicky thing for it.

http://www.dolby.com...uide/index.html
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#25 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

And here's the clicky thing for it.

http://www.dolby.com...uide/index.html

Good source of info! I was glad to see that they say the center should be as close to ear level as possible. I was a bit surprised to see that they recommend the surounds ge at ear level, as I'd previously read that the surrounds should be a few feed above ear level but angled downward.[

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#26 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Impossible to have my center at ear level. It would be in the center of my 60" Mits. :lol: And like the OP my center has to be on the lower shelf just above the floor. But the POLK CS10 which it is and the CS20 have a horizontal surface that will make the speaker face perpendicular to the floor or it can be turned over and then the speaker face has about a 10 - 15 degree angle so the speakers are tilted back and pointing pretty close to my head.

#27 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

For normal sized listening environments this makes sense as most speakers (despite the marketing claims to the contrary) have a very narrow "sweet spot" and the recommended configuration will yield best results with a HTIAB on up.

One of the best things about the Klipsch loudspeakers are the horns. There is no sweet "spot" as the high frequency dispersion spreads outward all directions instead of being "focused".

In my big theater room I run 2 RF7s (dual 10 in cones and the big throated horn) up 48 inches off the floor. I run the center RF7 about 24 inches above the floor (TV is on the 48 inch high shelf with the RF7s) and my 7.1 RS7 surrounds are mounted as indicated in the "clicky thing" except they are up nearly 10 ft above the floor. The very rear pair is just below ceiling height angled down and the mid surrounds are about 10 inches below the ceiling flat to the wall.

Coupled with an RSW15 the effect is staggeringly like going to a high end movie theater with wide expansive sound. The room is 25 ft wide and about 45 ft deep.

If I were using anything but Klipsch all would need to be near ear level and would not deliver the spacious sound rather a more direct in your face effect. Like I get in the video game room's set up.

I've used dipole designs in the past and these do the Bose dispersal type thing creating a larger soundstage but in the end I prefer the Kipsch horns to do the deed from a single point.

If you feel you must add presence to your system you could run smaller "B" speakers mounted up fairly high in the front angled down and slightly out to bounce their sound off the ceiling and side walls. You'll need to properly set crossover so you aren't killing the little critters and thaty could take away some of the fullness from your mains.

THX recommends an 80hz crossover and many surround type speakers have a low of 80 +/- 3 db which is a significant amount of energy variance at their tail out point of 80. I like to run my smaller systems at a 90 crossover, allowing the fronts to share bass with the sub and then set the sub so it is transparent with music material and only really mouths off with true LFE material or really heavy bass material is sent it's way.

The OP seems to want a dispersed effect and I agree dual fronts just don't cut it. Better served to look at the front end speakers and upgrade them all with ones that better suit their tastes. Just advise one to be careful when auditioning speakers. Make sure the amp driving them does not have any loudness contours, tone controls, EQ set to anything but FLAT "0" (middle notch on the control dial or slider), use your reference material for comparison, and if they sound wrong flat than move on.

Don "once I found Klipsch reference series speakers I was done looking" Bolton

Placement is a PITA because the room layout, items in the room, etc all conspire to draw out portions of the sonic wave. Similarly these items will enhance other parts of the wave. It takes lots of trial and error

Good source of info! I was glad to see that they say the center should be as close to ear level as possible. I was a bit surprised to see that they recommend the surrounds be at ear level, as I'd previously read that the surrounds should be a few feed above ear level but angled downward.[

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#28 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

Very few rooms will ever be setup for optimum speaker setup. It's just not something that architect's care about when they design floor plans. Even if the room was setup perfectly for speakers there are other issues that can arise. There's a thread about room setups that we talked about awhile ago.

All most of us can do is deal with what we have. Buying good bookshelf speakers and investing in shelving can do wonders for speaker placement. After that it's just playing with settings that you have available to make it sound the best to you.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

I currently have two pair of speaker wires in the wall for the two rear speakers. To hook up a 6.1 system, can I use one of those pair for the two positve L and R sides, and use the other pair for positive single rear, and common negative for all 3, or do the negatives all have to be on a separate wire?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#30 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:29 AM

All three negatives have to be on separate wires.

Otherwise you will blow your amp up.

The only time you find a common ground speaker output is on the cheapest car stereos, and even then, you better be damn sure before you try it.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#31 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

Ok, thanks. Another trip under the house is in my future :)

#32 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Very few rooms will ever be setup for optimum speaker setup. It's just not something that architect's care about when they design floor plans. Even if the room was setup perfectly for speakers there are other issues that can arise. There's a thread about room setups that we talked about awhile ago.

All most of us can do is deal with what we have. Buying good bookshelf speakers and investing in shelving can do wonders for speaker placement. After that it's just playing with settings that you have available to make it sound the best to you.

Boy, the architect that designed this floor plan back in the mid 80s certainly did not have speaker set up in mind. The room is 19 X 22 and as you can see open to the kitchen/breakfast area at the rear with a double door to the entry. I just set up a new Onkyo TX-NR 709 with Polk TSi400 mains, CS10 center, RTi A1 rears and PSW 125 12" sub. I used the Audyssey MultEQ to set it up. Some goofy settings for distance and levels but I checked with a meter and the speakers are all within 1 - 2 dB of each other and it sounds good to my beat up 74 year old ears. Especially when I crank it so that it's louder than my tinnitus. :lol: You can see I made a poor choice of TV stands as for my gear. May correct that shortly so I can have my center in the center.

Attached Thumbnails

• P2260023wr.jpg
  • P2260025wr.jpg
  • P2260026wr.jpg
  • P2260024wr.jpg

Edited by olguy, 27 February 2012 - 10:26 AM.
old man typos

#33 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Ok, thanks. Another trip under the house is in my future :)

:nono:
The benefit you'd get from a 6.1 installation may not be worth the aggravation of pulling the additional wire for the center rear. I have two 6.2 systems and one 5.1, and the 5.1 is just fine.

Charlie
--------------------

#34 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Olguy - I can relate to your problem. With four surround systems in our house (2 HTIB's and 2 nice component systems), none are perfect due to room designs. None of our surrounds are on the side, as recommended. None have the ideal equilateral triangle spacing. The center speaker in the family room is close to floor level. You do what you gotta do. ;)

Charlie
--------------------

#35 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

I no longer buy pre-designed stands or entertainment centers. For less money you can build your own using plywood(oak on the outside) and stain to make it better to your needs than buying one and making it work.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#36 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

I no longer buy pre-designed stands or entertainment centers. For less money you can build your own using plywood(oak on the outside) and stain to make it better to your needs than buying one and making it work.

I have neither the tools nor desire to be a woodworker. I just need to do better at shopping. :lol:

#37 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

I have neither the tools nor desire to be a woodworker. I just need to do better at shopping. :lol:

I can understand that you could always find a local carpenter to make you something you want.

The last one I did I pre-ordered the wood cut already from a lumber yard. It cost me another $10 but well worth the time as all it takes is a drill, couple bits, box of screws, wood filler, stain, and a lacquer finish.

#38 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

I can understand that you could always find a local carpenter to make you something you want.

My co worker has every woodworking tool known to man. I gave him the size last summer and asked him how much it would cost to build an entertainment center on castors so I could roll the whole thing out to clean and rewire, and have twin adjustable shelves on both side? He said he would figure it out over the weekend. The next Monday, he shows up with it already built. Fit perfect. Been using it since. And he used left over wood except for the trim, so didnt even charge me for it.

#39 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

My co worker has every woodworking tool known to man. I gave him the size last summer and asked him how much it would cost to build an entertainment center on castors so I could roll the whole thing out to clean and rewire, and have twin adjustable shelves on both side? He said he would figure it out over the weekend. The next Monday, he shows up with it already built. Fit perfect. Been using it since. And he used left over wood except for the trim, so didnt even charge me for it.

I built mine. Mostly out of MDF. Wheels are nice. With the weight of the center plus all the equipment im guessing mine weights 600-700lbs. With just alittle effort I can roll it out from the wall.

#40 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Another option for Olguy is to move the picture above the TV and then mount the TV on the wall where the picture is. That would free up the top shelf where you could put your center and free up some space on the shelf.

spam firewall