Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

what the heck installer?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Geeke19

Geeke19

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

I got a crappy installer two days ago *Thursday* he refused to install the dish on the balcony of my apartment because he said it would not be secured. I gave him a puzzle look then also asked him about a bucket with cement then he claims he be out here every day to get it fixed because it would be moved. He kept bsing me, kept saying it be best to stay with comcast then he calls his supervisor and says he cant do the job. So today when I got off work I went around taking pictures of peoples satellite installs on their balcony's with a clamp just how I wanted it. Just one of the pictures I took this afternoon some others had a pole with a clamp on the rail also. But he kept telling me again that the wind would move it and he have to come back out to align the dish.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Geeke19, 17 February 2012 - 11:18 PM.

comcast blast internet

directv HR24/100 HD DVR receiver

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,922 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Not sure I'd go that way, but they did mine with a non penetrating mount [used for flat roofs with cinder blocks to weight it down].
It looks like this: http://www.contracto...-NPRMA3-product

Edited by veryoldschool, 17 February 2012 - 11:09 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

I got a crappy installer two days ago *Thursday* he refused to install the dish on the balcony of my apartment because he said it would not be secured. I gave him a puzzle look then also asked him about a bucket with cement then he claims he be out here every day to get it fixed because it would be moved. He kept bsing me, kept saying it be best to stay with comcast then he calls his supervisor and says he cant do the job. So today when I got off work I went around taking pictures of peoples satellite installs on their balcony's with a clamp just how I wanted it. Just one of the pictures I took this afternoon (THIS IS HOW I WANTED IT) But he kept telling me again that the wind would move it and he have to come back out to align the dish.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No installer worth anything would leave an installation like that. You can get a non penetrating mount if you can get LoS around your chimney or other obstacles.

http://www.solidsign...-Elliptical-ODU

#4 OFFLINE   Geeke19

Geeke19

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

hmm didn't know about them, seen some with a pole hooked to some clamps also this afternoon it looked good. It was just like everything that came out of my mouth he kept saying stay with comcast they are the best. I just shook my head. :nono:
comcast blast internet

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,922 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

hmm didn't know about them, seen some with a pole hooked to some clamps also this afternoon it looked good. It was just like everything that came out of my mouth he kept saying stay with comcast they are the best. I just shook my head. :nono:

I couldn't attach anything to the apartment, or drill any holes, so the non penetrating mount was how they did it. Beats the hell out of the bucket of cement and a pole. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Geeke19

Geeke19

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

yeah can't drill any holes either. Heck I seen somebody's dish on the roof of the apartment and said how the heck did they get away with that. lol
comcast blast internet

#7 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,922 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

yeah can't drill any holes either. Heck I seen somebody's dish on the roof of the apartment and said how the heck did they get away with that. lol

I had to use a strip of wood [in the sliding door] so I could drill a hole in it for the coax to come in.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Dish mounted to pole set in concrete poured in a bucket = 100% fail on all fronts:nono:

#9 OFFLINE   krazyrs

krazyrs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

we have these for apartments, Rail Mount
depends on how sturdy balcony is but 100x better then concrete in a bucket, not even allowed to install it that way
SWiM
HR24-500/HR24-500 - HDMI - Samsung 46" LCD TV
HR24-500 - HDMI - Dynex 32" LCD TV
HR24-500 - HDMI - Vizio 19" LED LCD TV
CCK - Charter - 30mbps down/ 4mbps up

#10 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

The directv dishes are pretty sizable and the KA signal for hd is much more sensitive to how well they are aimed so I definitely agree with the installer. No way I'd want to mount one like the one in your picture. From the looks of things, that railing isn't particularly sturdy so I wouldn't consider any mounting system on it. With that said I did have my dish mounted to my balcony railing when I lived in an apartment but it was pretty hefty railing.

If you really want directv, the non penetrating mount is the way to go. If you go this route, don't forget that you need something to weight down the mount. I believe most recommend cinder blocks.

#11 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

we have these for apartments, Rail Mount
depends on how sturdy balcony is but 100x better then concrete in a bucket, not even allowed to install it that way

I used one of these on my daughters apartment balcony. It works really well!

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

What does your apartment management say about the overhang of the dish on that rail mount? The FCC' OTARD doesn't cover that overhang if the area under it is a common area, so if your management says no, it is prohibited. Get the non-penetrating mount.

#13 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

About $20.00 in materials @ Home Depot gave me enough to make 3 of these setups. I ended up replacing the nuts w/locknuts and putting bolts through the brackets and the pole later. Worked out real nice. Very solid being near the corner of the railing.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo0099R.jpg
  • Photo0100.jpg

#14 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

About $20.00 in materials @ Home Depot gave me enough to make 3 of these setups. I ended up replacing the nuts w/locknuts and putting bolts through the brackets and the pole later. Worked out real nice. Very solid being near the corner of the railing.

that looks pretty sturdy ... good job

#15 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

Bucket with cement is a major no go for kaku, would be out of alignment first wind gust
The one you took a picture of is a poor install, if I came up on it, I would take a picture and find out who did it immediately

Railmount like krazyrs said or non-pen like others say is the only way to go

#16 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Excellent thinking... that looks really nice!:D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...