Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help connecting wireless adapter to DVR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ericmylad

ericmylad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

Hi all. I just bought a Netgear NCE2001 wireless adapter for my HR24. I connected to my computer 1st to allow it to successfully connect to my network. I wrote down the IP address & other info. Instructions then said to simply connect to my DVR. After I did this, I went into the Network Settings and tried to connect only to get a failure. Went into the Advanced Settings and enterd the info I wrote down for the IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway & DNS. Tried it again & it still has a problem. What am I doing wrong? None of the tips on the settings page apply.

I have a similar item connected to a Blu Ray player & never had this much trouble getting it synced up with my network.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Do you have Whole Home DVR service? If no, then you can connect the wireless ethernet adapter to your HR24's ethernet port, but you must reset the DVR before it will recognize anything connected to its ethernet port. The reset will switch it from its internal DECA coax network adapter to its external ethernet port.

Post back if you have Whole Home DVR service because then you cannot use the HR24's ethernet port.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   ericmylad

ericmylad

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

Thanks. Resetting the DVR was the trick. Can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. I shouldn't have attenpted to do this so late as my brain was asleep. Everything is up & running.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thanks. Resetting the DVR was the trick. Can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. I shouldn't have attenpted to do this so late as my brain was asleep. Everything is up & running.

With the most other receivers you would not need to reset the receiver. In this case, since the HR24 has a built-in DECA, you need to disable that by first hooking up an ethernet cable and then resetting the receiver.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hey thanks for that bit of info. :)

I always thought the H/HR24 series boxes' internal DECA would disable and switch to the ethernet port the moment it sensed a valid ethernet client connected to its ethernet port.

Didn't know a full receiver reset was also necessary to make it switch.

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

I've often requested that DirecTV put a sticker over the HR24's ethernet port to disclose this tidbit to folks, but they don't listen to me :)

Glad to hear you're up and running.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

I've often requested that DirecTV put a sticker over the HR24's ethernet port to disclose this tidbit to folks, but they don't listen to me :)

What? listen to there customers on how to better there product?? who ever heard of such a thing?:lol::lol::lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

Glad to hear you're up and running.

I'm sorry. Did you say something? :lol:

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

That really doesnt make the product any better, just allows the un-informed to DIY it without knowing what they are doing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...