Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv and black-outs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stlcardsblues

stlcardsblues

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

I understand Directv's obligation to blackout certain sporting events. I also understand that they are required to blackout old rebroadcasts of classic sporting events. This is not a question on that. Why are they blacking out non sporting events.

Two examples
Cardinals winter warm up. This is a charity event held in St. Louis. The show is a recap of went on at the charity event and interview with players.

Spotlight-show is a one on one interview with a member of one of the St. Louis players.

Why are these always blacked out? I have called on so many occasions in the past on this and no one can answer why these are being blacked out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

It all falls under the umbrella of broadcast rights. Even replays of games and shows featuring game clips can be blacked out. I am certain that DirecTV would rather not have to black out so much programming.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

spam firewall