Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Incorrect Second Airing Info

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

No, but that is another issue with the EPG. To use Gold Rush as an example, lets say you have your DVR set to record NEW Gold Rush episodes. You can't record the first airing of Gold Rush because you already have something set during that time slot to record and it can't be moved. Normally, the DVR would select the second airing later that night to record. But, with the EPG messed up, you find that Gold Rush isn't going to record at all. Why? Because every other airing during the week, besides the first airing, is considered OLD. So, by skipping the first airing, the DVR basically skips all recurrences of the same and future episodes and will never record Gold Rush.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Has the EPG gotten worse? To me it has. For example, I had to use the SKIP button 5 times to skip "Dirty Jobs" episodes with a generic description. Then a mind numbing 13 times and after a EPG update an additional 6 times, to skip "MythBusters" episodes, also with a generic description, from recording. Same tired drill; skip, wait for update, select next one, skip, wait for update -- on and on and on.

It's situations like these, no matter which receiver you have, that make the NEW option truly annoying. If this continues, the value of NEW is slowly becoming the next 'Originally aired' and 'Episode' number.

Now the first airing and more importantly the season finale of "An Idiot Abroad: The Bucket List", which is wrongly marked as episode 4, is shown in the EPG as a 30 minute episode. Apparently DISH has confused the double-feature of "Oddities", which airs in a different time slot. Somehow DISH has managed to not botch the second airing as it's listed as a 1 hour episode.

So, the first airing of the season finale wrongly marked as episode 4, which has a 'Originally aired' date of 2012-03-10 and is considered NEW, is 30 minutes long. While the same episode's second airing only a few hours later, which has a 'Originally aired' date of 2011-11-11 and is considered OLD, is 1 hour long.

Seven weeks have passed with the second airing incorrectly marked as OLD and from other past experiences, the listing won't get corrected and the DVR will only record the first 30 minutes of the episode. I guess I'll have to create yet another TBR (manual) timer if I want the entire thing and if you also watch the series, so should you.

#23 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Yes, the EPG has definately gotten worse.

I now see many instances where the second airing has the wrong Original Airing Date. For example I see Merlin, on SYFY Friday has the OAD of 3/9 but the second airing three hours later has the OAD of 2/13. There is no way a timer for "NEW" episodes will pick up the second airing. I may as well change all my New timers to All. PITA

Note, forcing a guide download does not help either.

Edited by bnborg, 08 March 2012 - 03:24 PM.

Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#24 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Apparently DISH has confused the double-feature of "Oddities", which airs in a different time slot. Somehow DISH has managed to not botch the second airing as it's listed as a 1 hour episode.

I guess it can't be said too many times, it has NOTHING to do with Dish, at least as you describe. Dish didn't confuse anything. Either the EPG provider did, or the actual channel gave the wrong information.

Over the last few weeks I do agree it has become worse as many reruns are not being picked up as such so are recorded of many shows. But I will say, the episode errors of some shows do often get fixed the day of airing. I have seen this time and again. For what I record it's mostly the same shows as seems to always pop up - Pawn Stars, Parking Wars, The Soup, and Storage Wars. I notice virtually never is any Network reruns that has this problem, and only rarely USA. (NCIS being the exception)

Just so you know, the Charter EPG at work (Basic no box needed channels) showed and still shows all the Letterman and Leno shows as new this week, with no other info. They are reruns.

#25 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

I guess it can't be said too many times, it has NOTHING to do with Dish, at least as you describe. Dish didn't confuse anything. Either the EPG provider did, or the actual channel gave the wrong information.
. . .

Dish has the information last and is presenting it in an EPG with their logo on it. If the information is wrong, Dish should require their provider(s) to correct it.

This is especially true when other sources of the information, such as Microsoft Media Center, the internet, and the embedded OTA info show the correct information.

#26 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 544 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

Dish has the information last and is presenting it in an EPG with their logo on it. If the information is wrong, Dish should require their provider(s) to correct it.

This is especially true when other sources of the information, such as Microsoft Media Center, the internet, and the embedded OTA info show the correct information.

+1

Exactly what I have been saying for years!!! It is the end providers responsibility to make sure that the product that the customer is buying is intact and correct without excuse. That's the way it is in most any other industry. The most annoying fact is that they are just sitting on this and have for years. And since it is now an integral part of a main feature or the base operation of the service, one would think they'd be all over it in making sure it is accurate. Kinda tells me how much they really care about us customers and the quality of their service.

I have been using TitanTV, TVG and the station guides themselves, over the years, as examples to DISH when pointing out that they have a problem and they just didn't care.

#27 OFFLINE   Alsat

Alsat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

I would be happy if the start/stop times were correct. I recorded Inception and got a 2 hour recording - but the movie is 2 hours and 20 minutes. This was not reflected in the guide. Other programs seem to start 1 or 2 minutes or more after their start time, and with all of the studio logos, etc don't really start until 5 minutes into the scheduled time and then over run their stop time. I have now set the default to end recording 10 minutes after just to be sure to get through the end, the 1 minute was not doing it.

Also, programs like the pilot to Burn Notice, a one hour program, was two hours. The guide helpfully showed both hours (two programs in the guide) as episiode 1, so the smart recording feature skipped the second hour as it considered it already recorded, even though both were selected to be recorded - not as "every episode" but as separate events.

Also I noticed that the episode numbers for Spartacus:Vengeance are not correct.

#28 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

No matter what, I believe it is DISH's responsibility, since I pay them. This is a core component of every DVR. In this respect, the Hopper is not any better than a 508. Besides, the Discovery Channel had the correct information on their website weeks in advance. I called DISH and reported the problem around week one. Yet there continued to be one kind of problem or another with this show for 8 weeks. I hardly think it should be necessary to call DISH every week to remind them. To paraphrase FarmerBob, 'DISH just doesn't give a rats behind'.

Over the last few weeks I do agree it has become worse as many reruns are not being picked up as such so are recorded of many shows. But I will say, the episode errors of some shows do often get fixed the day of airing. I have seen this time and again.

Well, it didn't happen this time. Worse, as a test we let one DVR, we'll call that DVR1, record the first airing of the show as it has every week, while the other, DVR2, was set up with a new Manual timer. DVR1 showed that it was recording, but no recording was made available when it finished. DVR2, had the complete first airing of the show. Thankfully the TBR option is still available.

For what I record it's mostly the same shows as seems to always pop up - Pawn Stars, Parking Wars, The Soup, and Storage Wars. I notice virtually never is any Network reruns that has this problem, and only rarely USA. (NCIS being the exception).

You make a fair point. I don't know why shows airing on the big Networks don't have this problem more often. Perhaps it has to do with power or influence? Or, perhaps they are not airing the same show 10 times in one week to get it wrong and make it obvious?

Just so you know, the Charter EPG at work (Basic no box needed channels) showed and still shows all the Letterman and Leno shows as new this week, with no other info. They are reruns.

Perhaps it's using OTA data? Here, the OTA data is nearly useless. Heck, the locals can't even set their clock correctly.

#29 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Look at "Lost Girl" tonight on SYFY. Two airings, two hours apart.

They are the same episode, with have the same title, episode number, and description (except for Dish adding "New" to the first airing).

Yet while the Original Air Date for the first is today, 03-12-12, the second is 11-14-10. WTF?? :confused:

If I set my timer for "New" it will only record the first. If I set the timer to "All" it wil record both showings.

#30 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

I would be happy if the start/stop times were correct.

Since A&E couldn't keep to their own schedule, I had to set a manual timer to record new back-to-back episodes of "Billy the Exterminator". However, this worked out nicely for me since I have a timer set for the previous hour on a different channel and because I like to see the entire show, I have the previous hour timer set to end late one minute.

Since NBR doesn't have a start late option, I then had to create a manual timer for "Billy". The manual timer started one minute after the top of the hour, then ran for both episodes, with additional padding at the end, for a total of 64 minutes in order to be sure to get the entire thing.

A&E could be starting an episode late on purpose. Perhaps they are aware that people would be tuning into A&E to watch "Billy", rather than having already tuned in for their earlier programming.

I noticed that the episode numbers for Spartacus:Vengeance are not correct.

It seems to me that rarely any show that has already aired a number of episodes, have the episode number correct. I've seen the second airing of the same episode, on the same night, have a different "Originally aired" and different "Episode" number, than the first airing. How's that for consistency?

But, it's not limited to shows with lots of aired episodes. For example, "An Idiot Abroad: The Bucket List" never had one episode number correct. While the program only lasted 8 episodes and was aired in the correct order, they were all wrong.

The "Originally aired" and "Episode" number should be taken with a grain of salt and considered display filler.

#31 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Also I noticed that the episode numbers for Spartacus:Vengeance are not correct.

The episode numbers are wrong from "One Step Beyond" to "Masterpiece Theater". I long ago gave up thinking they were relevant in many instances. I suppose whoever writes them has their own rhymes and reasons.....:scratch:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#32 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Look at "Lost Girl" tonight on SYFY. Two airings, two hours apart. They are the same episode, with have the same title, episode number, and description (except for Dish adding "New" to the first airing). Yet while the Original Air Date for the first is today, 03-12-12, the second is 11-14-10. WTF?? :confused:

"Lost Girl" is a Canadian show. The description of the second airing for episode 9 is showing the originally aired date in Canada, which was on 2010-11-14. I would be surprised that the SyFy channel intentionally wants DISH subscribers to know that episode 9 is actually old. In fact, I suspect quite the opposite.

If I set my timer for "New" it will only record the first. If I set the timer to "All" it wil record both showings.

And, if you have a different timer with a higher priority set to record at the same time the first airing of "Lost Girl" is set to record as NEW, your DVR will never record "Lost Girl". Ever.

Edited by Blowgun, 12 March 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

"Lost Girl" is a Canadian show. The description of the second airing for episode 9 is showing the originally aired date in Canada, which was on 2010-11-14. I would be surprised that the SyFy channel intentionally wants DISH subscribers to know that episode 9 is actually old. In fact, I suspect quite the opposite.

I figured it was something like that. Still, why do the two showings have different dates?

And, if you have a different timer with a higher priority set to record at the same time the first airing of "Lost Girl" is set to record as NEW, your DVR will never record "Lost Girl". Ever.

You are correct. The only solution is to set the timer for "All" and make sure that one of the two showings is preempted. Or else resort to manually skipping and restoring episodes as necessary.

#34 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Still, why do the two showings have different dates?

Quite honestly, because someone screwed up and continues to screw up with other second airings in the EPG. Both airing should have had the same, new to the USA, date. I would have also accepted the old Canadian date for consistency. :)

#35 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

Quite honestly, because someone screwed up and continues to screw up with other second airings in the EPG. Both airing should have had the same, new to the USA, date. I would have also accepted the old Canadian date for consistency. :)

+1

spam firewall