Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question - 2 Dishes, one network, one install?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Andygr2

Andygr2

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

I recently purchase residence with a shed about 1000 feet away from the home.

The previous owner actually had 2 directv accounts, one for his shed and one for his home because they weren't connected via coax and the installer wouldn't do it. It looks like both have the newest style dish. He ran a small business out of his shed and ran the other account off of it.

I'm interested in a similar set up, but I don't want to pay for 2 accounts. Is this possible?

Here's what I'd like to have set up.

House - 4 units including a H34

Shed - 2 receivers includinge one DVR

Both places share the same network, so it would be great if I could share the DVR content between locations, but not a must have.

If I have directv come in and install 6 units in my house, I should be able to move the two out to the shed without much trouble, right? Thanks in advance for your expertise!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

As long as they arent two physical addresses should be fine. I agree that you should have all the equipment installed at the house then move the equipment yourself. Just remember that it probably wont be "supported" by D* thought if you choose to do this.

#3 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

also make sure that all of the equipment is the same, that way you can move recievers around and not to change any thing.

#4 OFFLINE   Tribbs

Tribbs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

A 1000ft of even the best coax would exhibit substantial signal degradation.

Even Belden 1694A RG6 coax shows a 1000ft loss of about 93dB at 2000MHz not including F connectors. http://www.belden.co...glish/1694A.pdf

I would think a buried fiber optical cable with some sort of coax-to-optical converters on each end would work out - IMHO.

I don't know much about DirecTV networking receivers but would a wireless access point be a solution? I'm curious to know how to solve this problem wirelessly.

Edited by Tribbs, 19 February 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

He doesn't need 1000 feet of coax. He's only running coax to the nearest dish (one on the shop, one on the house). He already has network available both places, so if he connects to his network he should be able to share whole-home. As noted, not a supported configuration, but should work.

However, 1000 feet is also a long haul for ethernet. You may not have optimum whole-home between the two facilities.

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,760 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Anyone thought of one dish place in between the shop and the home?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Anyone thought of one dish place in between the shop and the home?

Nope, because that would need 500' of coax. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   ds2992

ds2992

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

if the dish on the shed is a proper dtv dish you wont need to pay for another dish install. you cannot by any means have the reciever in your shed on your mrv network to far away.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

you cannot by any means have the reciever in your shed on your mrv network to far away.

Not true.
While DECA isn't only to work, and with 2 dishes, it wouldn't anyway, ethernet [with amps more than likely] will work.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall