Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV & VOD Install Questions?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ronomy

Ronomy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

I already have an open Ethernet cable home run available between one of my receivers and my router so if I understand you correctly I'm good to go, correct?

My SWM power supply is located at the above receiver location although the SWM is located eleswhere, far away in the atttic, will this cause me any problems?

Will the typical DirecTv installer understand how to make your configuration work?

Thank you.

Just tell him you don't want a separate coax run from your splitter to your router. He/she will need to get in your attic to replace the splitter with a green label splitter and maybe install a band stop filter to your lnb if its not a green label lnb.

If the power inserter is a problem you could move it to one of your other receivers. Just remember you need to swap the cables at the main splitter so that the power inserter is connected to the DC passing connection on the splitter.

To be safe just move it during the install.

Edited by Ronomy, 20 February 2012 - 05:44 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   vict

vict

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

I already have an open Ethernet cable home run available between one of my receivers and my router so if I understand you correctly I'm good to go, correct?

My SWM power supply is located at the above receiver location although the SWM is located eleswhere, far away in the atttic, will this cause me any problems?

Will the typical DirecTv installer understand how to make your configuration work?

Thank you.

I don't want to confuse the issue any more than it is, but you keep referring to running ethernet cable from your router to your reciever. If you look at the diagram provided, that is not the case. With a DECA setup, you do not run ethernet directly from your router to your reciever.

The connection from the router is to a DECA unit (either a white reciver DECA unit with a power supply, or a black Broadband Adapter with a power supply). Alternatively, you could get the CCK, which will pick up your router over wi-fi.

Again, if you look at the diagram, it shows the router connected to a white DECA with power supply, which is then connected by RG6 coaxial cable to the splitter, not the SWM. In the case of this diagram, the SWM is actually in the dish LNB, while it seems like you have a SWM8 in the attic.

So what you need is a run of coaxial from your splitter to somewhere close to your router. In most cases, including yours, these runs already exist, since you have coaxial already going to your recievers, so most people will choose to do this close to their recievers.

I would follow what somebody previously posted. Take the coaxial cable out of the reciver that's close to your router. Add a 2 way splitter. Run one cable from the splitter to a DECA/BBA/CCK with a power supply. Connect your ethernet to the same DECA/BBA (if it's a CCK, you won't need the ethernet, because the CCK is wi-fi). Since you don't have any recievers with a built in DECA (HR24/34) you'll need separate white DECA at each reciever. So, run the other cable from the 2 way splitter back to a different white reciver DECA, and connect the DECA coaxial pigtail to your recievers sat 1 input. Lastly, use a short ethernet patch to connect the DECA and reciever. Repeat that last part with each reciver you have (coaxial from splitter/SWM to white DECA connected to reciever sat 1, ethernet patch).

Long story short, you need a DECA for each reciever, and one more for your router (this can be DECA/BBA/CCK). Nothing connects to the SWM except for the coaxial you already have connected.

There are a lot of different ways to do this, but in reality they are all very similar. Chose a setup that works best for you.

#23 OFFLINE   tenn_

tenn_

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

I don't want to confuse the issue any more than it is, but you keep referring to running ethernet cable from your router to your reciever. If you look at the diagram provided, that is not the case. With a DECA setup, you do not run ethernet directly from your router to your reciever.

The connection from the router is to a DECA unit (either a white reciver DECA unit with a power supply, or a black Broadband Adapter with a power supply). Alternatively, you could get the CCK, which will pick up your router over wi-fi.

Again, if you look at the diagram, it shows the router connected to a white DECA with power supply, which is then connected by RG6 coaxial cable to the splitter, not the SWM. In the case of this diagram, the SWM is actually in the dish LNB, while it seems like you have a SWM8 in the attic.

So what you need is a run of coaxial from your splitter to somewhere close to your router. In most cases, including yours, these runs already exist, since you have coaxial already going to your recievers, so most people will choose to do this close to their recievers.

I would follow what somebody previously posted. Take the coaxial cable out of the reciver that's close to your router. Add a 2 way splitter. Run one cable from the splitter to a DECA/BBA/CCK with a power supply. Connect your ethernet to the same DECA/BBA (if it's a CCK, you won't need the ethernet, because the CCK is wi-fi). Since you don't have any recievers with a built in DECA (HR24/34) you'll need separate white DECA at each reciever. So, run the other cable from the 2 way splitter back to a different white reciver DECA, and connect the DECA coaxial pigtail to your recievers sat 1 input. Lastly, use a short ethernet patch to connect the DECA and reciever. Repeat that last part with each reciver you have (coaxial from splitter/SWM to white DECA connected to reciever sat 1, ethernet patch).

Long story short, you need a DECA for each reciever, and one more for your router (this can be DECA/BBA/CCK). Nothing connects to the SWM except for the coaxial you already have connected.

There are a lot of different ways to do this, but in reality they are all very similar. Chose a setup that works best for you.

It is not practical to run a coax from my router location to one of my receiver locations or my SWM8 in my attic. I do however already have a Cat 6 ethernet cable run to one of my receiver locations, I was hoping that this ethernet connection could be used to satisfy the VOD & MRV network hook-up needs, is this not the case? I understand that I need DECA/BBA/CCK hardware in any event.

Thank you.

#24 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

It is not practical to run a coax from my router location to one of my receiver locations or my SWM8 in my attic. I do however already have a Cat 6 ethernet cable run to one of my receiver locations, I was hoping that this ethernet connection could be used to satisfy the VOD & MRV network hook-up needs, is this not the case? I understand that I need DECA/BBA/CCK hardware in any event.

Thank you.

Well that is where you would put the CCK.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#25 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

Thank you.

I've tried to explain this a few times, but haven't had much success.
If you have an ethernet cable running to one of your receiver locations, then you can either use the CCK that has a pass through mode or use a 2-way splitter that feeds both the receiver and a BB DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#26 OFFLINE   tenn_

tenn_

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

I guess I didn't pharse my questions clearly enough to start with. I got it now, thanks guys!

#27 OFFLINE   vict

vict

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Thank you.

Yeah, you're not quite getting this. You should already have SAT coaxial cable going to one of your recievers (otherwise, you probably wouldn't have a reciever there), and you keep stating that you have cat5 ethernet run from your router to one of your recievers. The DECA unit joins that SAT coaxial and that ethernet cable. You don't have to have coaxial to your router. You just need ethernet cable run somewhere close to a run of coaxial from your SWM. Split the coaxial there, and add a DECA/BBA.

Or just add a CCK and forget the run CAT5.

You might just want to call DTV and get a pro install. I can almost guarantee that any tech worth their salt can get you going, if your set up is as you've described. Call and try to get a deal, if you've been there long enough, you might get some off the install.

#28 OFFLINE   vict

vict

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

I guess I didn't pharse my questions clearly enough to start with. I got it now, thanks guys!

Great. Let us know how it turns out.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...