Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV & VOD Install Questions?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   tenn_

tenn_

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

I guess I didn't pharse my questions clearly enough to start with. I got it now, thanks guys!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   vict

vict

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

It is not practical to run a coax from my router location to one of my receiver locations or my SWM8 in my attic. I do however already have a Cat 6 ethernet cable run to one of my receiver locations, I was hoping that this ethernet connection could be used to satisfy the VOD & MRV network hook-up needs, is this not the case? I understand that I need DECA/BBA/CCK hardware in any event.

Thank you.

Yeah, you're not quite getting this. You should already have SAT coaxial cable going to one of your recievers (otherwise, you probably wouldn't have a reciever there), and you keep stating that you have cat5 ethernet run from your router to one of your recievers. The DECA unit joins that SAT coaxial and that ethernet cable. You don't have to have coaxial to your router. You just need ethernet cable run somewhere close to a run of coaxial from your SWM. Split the coaxial there, and add a DECA/BBA.

Or just add a CCK and forget the run CAT5.

You might just want to call DTV and get a pro install. I can almost guarantee that any tech worth their salt can get you going, if your set up is as you've described. Call and try to get a deal, if you've been there long enough, you might get some off the install.

#28 OFFLINE   vict

vict

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

I guess I didn't pharse my questions clearly enough to start with. I got it now, thanks guys!

Great. Let us know how it turns out.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...