Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can't Get Closed Caption to work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StL_Don

StL_Don

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Help,
I just had the new HD Tivo installed. So far most things are going well, but for the life of me I cannot get CC to work.
I'm connected to the TV via HDMI. I've turned CC on within the TIVO settings, but when I push the CC button on the TV remote it says "Not Available".
I just tried using the S-Video connection and CC works, but of course I've lost the HD.

The television is a Samsung, 2008 vintage.

Don

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Why are you selecting CC from the TV remote (which controls the TV)?

You should be selecting it from the TiVo (which handles the CC stream over HDMI).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   StL_Don

StL_Don

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Why are you selecting CC from the TV remote (which controls the TV)?

You should be selecting it from the TiVo (which handles the CC stream over HDMI).

Thanks for the response.
As I mentioned in the OP, I've turned CC on via the Tivo setup... that hasn't seemed to make any difference.
Prior to this DVR I have always controlled CC via the CC button on the TV remote, be it DTV or OTA programming,
but I realize that HD and HDMI are a whole new world (for me).

Don

#4 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

Thanks for the response.
As I mentioned in the OP, I've turned CC on via the Tivo setup... that hasn't seemed to make any difference.
Prior to this DVR I have always controlled CC via the CC button on the TV remote, be it DTV or OTA programming,
but I realize that HD and HDMI are a whole new world (for me).

Don

With the Directv H receivers, it is not enough to just turn Captioning on, you also have to select the correct digital track. For most programs, the captions appear on the 'Service 1' digital track.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...