Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Network Services, H25, and HR34 ?s

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blizzisu

blizzisu

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

I had DirecTV installed yesterday and have a few questions. My setup includes a HR34 w/ Whole Home DVR, DECCA connected to router, and two H25s. My questions are:

1. My HR34 is extremely slow. It takes ~5 seconds for the guide to show up after pressing the guide button. Is this normal? Will it get better over time?

2. The H25 units cannot initiate an OnDemand download. Do only DVR units have this capability?

3. What is "Network Services" used for in the Network Setup? Yesterday, it appeared to be working as both the HR34 and H25s had ports assigned for Network Servies, but this morning they do not, and I get a 301 error when I try to use the automatic setup of Network Services.

4. How long does it take for Apps to be available on the H25s? Does the HR34 supports Apps?

5. Is it possible to enable both IR and RF remote control at the same time on an HR34? This is so the SlingBox can control via IR and the remote via RF.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   blizzisu

blizzisu

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

Here is a possible solution to some of my issues I found on the DirecTV forums.

"I have been fighting the Unable to start network services error 301 on my whole home system since the beginning. I could get one or more DVRs working, but never all at the same time. I stumbled on a fix that incorporated features from other fixes posted here with one new twist. To set up multiple DVRs with working TV Apps, the following worked for me.
1) Allow WAN pinging on your router.
2) Assign a static IP address to your DVR
3) Forward a pair of ports to your DVR. Enable TCP/UDP format for each port. (Note: Make sure the inbound and outbound ports match)
4) Forward port 1701 as UDP only.
5) Go to your DVR. Select Menu/Settings/Network/Restore defaults.
6) Select Connect Now, fill in the name of your DVR on the Whole Home Network. Playlist/delete options you want.
7) Under Advanced Settings, Assign your static IP address you gave the DVR and for which you forwarded the ports. When you have done that, choose Connect Now.
8) Under Network Services, choose Manual Settings. Select the ports you forwarded to the DVR. Select Connect Now.
You should see that Network Services started successfully. You may also see connection test failed in the same message, but don't worry about that part of the message. My TV Apps have worked flawlessly since and the System Info shows a valid internet connection and a valid network services status.

For each of the additional DVRs, you just go back into your Router settings. Just edit the static IP address to the next DVR address to assign Port 1701 UDP for each additional DVR. You have to do it this way as you can't have the same port forwarded to two different static addresses. Once you have them all set up and working, you can go back into the Router and block WAN pinging for security.

I have no supported answer for why this particular procedure and sequence works, but it does for my network DVRs. To test its validity, I would go back to a DVR, restore defaults, choose Automatic for the Network Settings, and the TV Apps would not work. I would repeat the above steps on that DVR and the TV Apps would work flawlessly. I tested running the TV Apps simultaneously on all 4 DVRs on my network simultaneously, and had no issues. I also tested having TV Apps running on one DVR, Pandora on another, You Tube on a third, and downloading VOD on the fourth and didn't have a hitch.

I am sure someone will find some technical fault with this, but it worked for me if done exactly like above. This was so frustrating for me due to the inability of Directv Tech Support to fix this and I got so tired of hearing "We'll kick this up to Engineering..." that I wanted to share in hopes of helping others. I really think the key was forwarding the 1701 UDP port for each DVR until they initialized the first time. Good Luck!"

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Most of this has to do with your router.
I don't follow any of these steps [though years ago I did], and network services reports error 202, but my TVApps work fine.

Network services aren't currently used.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   blizzisu

blizzisu

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

I tried the steps I posted above, and the TV Apps still won't open on my HR34. I've only had it for about 20 hours now so maybe it's still loading things behind the scenes? I'm also going to try a Menu Reset and then a RBR if needed.

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

I tried the steps I posted above, and the TV Apps still won't open on my HR34. I've only had it for about 20 hours now so maybe it's still loading things behind the scenes? I'm also going to try a Menu Reset and then a RBR if needed.

All worth a try. I don't have a HR34, so all of mine have been with the others.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   blizzisu

blizzisu

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

I came back to the HR34 after an hour or two and now the apps are working. I guess it just took some time after following the steps in my second post.

#7 OFFLINE   BoostedBlazer

BoostedBlazer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

I had DirecTV installed yesterday and have a few questions. My setup includes a HR34 w/ Whole Home DVR, DECCA connected to router, and two H25s. My questions are:

1. My HR34 is extremely slow. It takes ~5 seconds for the guide to show up after pressing the guide button. Is this normal? Will it get better over time?

2. The H25 units cannot initiate an OnDemand download. Do only DVR units have this capability?

3. What is "Network Services" used for in the Network Setup? Yesterday, it appeared to be working as both the HR34 and H25s had ports assigned for Network Servies, but this morning they do not, and I get a 301 error when I try to use the automatic setup of Network Services.

4. How long does it take for Apps to be available on the H25s? Does the HR34 supports Apps?

5. Is it possible to enable both IR and RF remote control at the same time on an HR34? This is so the SlingBox can control via IR and the remote via RF.

The speed of the guide will improve a HUGE amount when the new HD UI is downloaded to the HR34, those who have had the old style yellow and blue guide that were upgraded to the newer user interface will confirm this with you I'm sure! Some of things have already been acknowledged and will also be included as software fixes that will accompany the download for the new user interface including the TV apps! Be patient, I promise when it's all said and done it will be well worth it!
The views expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the views of any company aforementioned.

#8 OFFLINE   blizzisu

blizzisu

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

The speed of the guide will improve a HUGE amount when the new HD UI is downloaded to the HR34, those who have had the old style yellow and blue guide that were upgraded to the newer user interface will confirm this with you I'm sure! Some of things have already been acknowledged and will also be included as software fixes that will accompany the download for the new user interface including the TV apps! Be patient, I promise when it's all said and done it will be well worth it!

The speed of the guide is fine once it finally opens/loads. It just takes 4-5 seconds to show up on the screen after pressing the Guide button. Is that normal with a new HR34?

#9 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

A reset should fix the speed issue.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...