Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Potential New customer, Questions

hr34

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pmarq2008

pmarq2008

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

I am thinking of switching from Dishnetwork to Direct TV. I looked at there line up's and are very happy with the comparison on channels between them. It look's like Direct TV my have more channels than Dish in the same price bracket (This is different than 3 years ago) along with a pretty good can pass new customer offer.

So my question, I have a duplex that I live in one unit and rent the other. I provide TV in the monthly rent. I would like to do the whole home DVR setup but was wondering if it is possible to split up the DVR's. So this is what I would like to do.

Unit 1
1-HD DVR
2-HD Receivers
for a total of 3 TV's

Unit 2
1-HD DVR
1-HD Reciever
for a total of 2 TV's

Can I get the whole home setup so that Unit 1 can only see what they have recored and unit 2 can only see what they have recorded and not be able to see between the 2 unit's. That way my family can have our own recordings with out the other family seeing what we have and visa versa.

Does this make sense? and can it be done?

Thanks in advance
Phil
Coventry VT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Yes, it can be done, but you will need a sort of custom setup. With your current setup, you will get a SWM-LNB installed. That will bring one coax down to a 8-way splitter to go to each of the TVs. In order to keep the Whole Home Service separated from each side, you will need a BSF (Band Stop Filter) in between the two sides.

The easiest way to do that is to have a 2-way splitter from the LNB to split service into each half of the house. Once inside each side, use a 4-way splitter to get to each TV on your side and a 2-way on the other side. The BSF would be installed between the first 2-way splitter and the next splitter on at least one side.

It's possible you might get an installer from DirecTV to do this for you at no additional cost, but there might be a charge.

One thing to consider is that you will currently be using 7 tuners. If one more DVR Is added, you will need to upgrade to a SWM16. Using the two outputs on that, you can easily supply 8 tuners to each half of your house.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   BoostedBlazer

BoostedBlazer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

I am thinking of switching from Dishnetwork to Direct TV. I looked at there line up's and are very happy with the comparison on channels between them. It look's like Direct TV my have more channels than Dish in the same price bracket (This is different than 3 years ago) along with a pretty good can pass new customer offer.

So my question, I have a duplex that I live in one unit and rent the other. I provide TV in the monthly rent. I would like to do the whole home DVR setup but was wondering if it is possible to split up the DVR's. So this is what I would like to do.

Unit 1
1-HD DVR
2-HD Receivers
for a total of 3 TV's

Unit 2
1-HD DVR
1-HD Reciever
for a total of 2 TV's

Can I get the whole home setup so that Unit 1 can only see what they have recored and unit 2 can only see what they have recorded and not be able to see between the 2 unit's. That way my family can have our own recordings with out the other family seeing what we have and visa versa.

Does this make sense? and can it be done?

Thanks in advance
Phil
Coventry VT

It can be done but there are many caviats to the situation. My advice would be to see if you can either pay extra and get the SWM16 multi-switch as it would "split" the SWM signal in to 2 seperate banks of 8 you could designate 8 to your side and 8 to the tennants side. This would give you and them both 8 channels on the SWM. However I would do some checking on the account work as there may be an issue with having the tennants under your account and to remove liability would let them know they can setup services with DTV if they would like but I would have them on their own account.
The views expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the views of any company aforementioned.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

It can be done but there are many caviats to the situation. My advice would be to see if you can either pay extra and get the SWM16 multi-switch as it would "split" the SWM signal in to 2 seperate banks of 8 you could designate 8 to your side and 8 to the tennants side. This would give you and them both 8 channels on the SWM. However I would do some checking on the account work as there may be an issue with having the tennants under your account and to remove liability would let them know they can setup services with DTV if they would like but I would have them on their own account.

A couple of follow on things:
With the SWiM-16, since it was two outputs, feeding one to each tenant means there isn't any "designation", as each will only have access to the eight tuners/channels from their part of the SWiM-16, "and" it will still need a BSF because the SWiM-16 does have a DECA crossover.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   pmarq2008

pmarq2008

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks Merg, That was the way I was thinking it would have to be done I just did not know about the BSF. I used to work for Dish network so I know the basics and I also did one basic install with 2 standard recievers for a company that did some direct tv. On that note, does Direct tv allow self installs?

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thanks Merg, That was the way I was thinking it would have to be done I just did not know about the BSF. I used to work for Dish network so I know the basics and I also did one basic install with 2 standard recievers for a company that did some direct tv. On that note, does Direct tv allow self installs?

You can, but not easily anymore. Your best bet would be to do all the wiring and set everything up ahead of time and then the installer basically justs plugs in the components from DirecTV.

If you order from an on-line retailer, such as SolidSignal and sign up through them, they will ship you the receivers so you could even have those set up prior to the installer coming out.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

However I would do some checking on the account work as there may be an issue with having the tennants under your account and to remove liability would let them know they can setup services with DTV if they would like but I would have them on their own account.

That shouldn't be an issue. The OP will be the only one with access to the account and can also prevent it so that no PPV can be purchased. If they do allow PPV, it will show which receiver it was ordered on, so the OP will see if the tenants made the purchase and will be able to bill them appropriately. In the end, it is just a residential account and the OP is supplying service to the entire house.

- Merg

#8 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Seems like this would be easier if he stuck with Dish and went with two Hoppers and three Joeys (when they become available). Of course, he wouldn't get new subscriber bennies...

#9 OFFLINE   ds2992

ds2992

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Order from a local retailer. someone that has a storefront in your town. This will be the best way to get exactly what you need. Ordering over the phone and then trying to fix any problems yet again over the phone will give you a headache.

#10 OFFLINE   pmarq2008

pmarq2008

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hey Merg,
Question on a different setup scenario. If I ordered the below configuration they would need to do the SWM16 and than I should be able to request the 2 switches and BSF when the installer comes? Also what are the model numbers of each of the Recievers?

Unit 1 (Tenant)
HD DVR
HD Reciever
Standard Reciever

Unit 2 (My Unit)
HMC DVR
HD Reciever

#11 OFFLINE   pmarq2008

pmarq2008

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

Or another way! Am I right on the amount of tuners?

Unit 1 (Tenant)
HD DVR (2 tuners)
HD Reciever(1 tuner)
Standard Reciever(1 Tuner

Unit 2
HD DVR(2 Tuners)
HD Reciever(1 Tuner)
Standard Reciever (1Tuner)

#12 OFFLINE   BoostedBlazer

BoostedBlazer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Unit 1 (Tenant)
HD DVR (2 tuners)
HD Reciever(1 tuner)

Unit 2
HD DVR(2 Tuners)
HD Reciever(1 Tuner)

You are exactly correct on the number of tuners! I would see if you can go ahead with the SWM 16 for a few reasons. Main one being that it would serve all of the current tuners and allow for future expansion if needed. I.E. Upgrading a regular HD to an HD DVR, you would already have the extra tuner headroom to take care of that and they can just drop ship the receiver to you if you don't plan on adding it as an extra or installing it elsewhere (simply because it would need an additional line installed) A SWM 8 and SWM16 both connect the same way to the dish so even if an 8 is installed and doesn't take care of ya you can order the SWM16 from some place like Solid Signal and take care of business yourself should you feel the need.
The views expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the views of any company aforementioned.

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hey Merg,
Question on a different setup scenario. If I ordered the below configuration they would need to do the SWM16 and than I should be able to request the 2 switches and BSF when the installer comes? Also what are the model numbers of each of the Recievers?

Unit 1 (Tenant)
HD DVR
HD Reciever
Standard Reciever

Unit 2 (My Unit)
HMC DVR
HD Reciever

You shouldn't need to order the splitters. When you tell the tech how you want things set up, they should have all the splitters to do that. The only thing you will have to ask to be installed is the BSF to keep the Whole Home separate from your side and your tenant's side.

The above setup shows you with 4 tuners in Unit 1 and 6 tuners in Unit 2.

The HD receivers will be H2x's and the HD-DVR's will be HR2x's. As a new customer though, you will possibly get H24/H25's and HR24's as it seems that a lot of techs are using those for new installs, but there is no guarantee of that.

Unit 1 (Tenant)
HD DVR (2 tuners)
HD Reciever(1 tuner)

Unit 2
HD DVR(2 Tuners)
HD Reciever(1 Tuner)

Correct, that is 8 tuners with 4 on each side.

You are exactly correct on the number of tuners! I would see if you can go ahead with the SWM 16 for a few reasons. Main one being that it would serve all of the current tuners and allow for future expansion if needed. I.E. Upgrading a regular HD to an HD DVR, you would already have the extra tuner headroom to take care of that and they can just drop ship the receiver to you if you don't plan on adding it as an extra or installing it elsewhere (simply because it would need an additional line installed) A SWM 8 and SWM16 both connect the same way to the dish so even if an 8 is installed and doesn't take care of ya you can order the SWM16 from some place like Solid Signal and take care of business yourself should you feel the need.

The one issue with that last statement is that the OP would not get a SWM8 installed with the second setup. The install would be with a SWM-LNB and only one line comig down from the dish. If they added a tuner, a tech would need to come out and replace the SWM-LNB with a legacy LNB and then add in the SWM16.

- Merg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr34

Protected By... spam firewall...And...