Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Enhanced Content???

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   fraaboak

fraaboak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

I received my THR TIVO unit two weeks ago today. The unit keeps grabbing a tuner for enhanced content. This morning at 7:00 am It was recording on the Western channel. I was watching the Fox News channel when it said it would switch channels to record enhanced content. My choice was cancel what I was using or to cancel my scheduled recording. I had an H 10 and would always record their info around 2:00 AM. This needs to correctd by D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

I received my THR TIVO unit two weeks ago today. The unit keeps grabbing a tuner for enhanced content. This morning at 7:00 am It was recording on the Western channel. I was watching the Fox News channel when it said it would switch channels to record enhanced content. My choice was cancel what I was using or to cancel my scheduled recording. I had an H 10 and would always record their info around 2:00 AM. This needs to correctd by D

The only thing that Directv can really do for you is swap your THR for a better HDDVR. They didn't write the software, they can't fix it.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#43 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

The only thing that Directv can really do for you is swap your THR for a better HDDVR. They didn't write the software, they can't fix it.

Don't bother it's like trying to tell an Apple person that a 3.5" screen is too small until Apple tells them it is.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

The thing that really upsets me about this enhanced content is that I don't need it. It's recording PPV movies so you can watch them instantly. OK, but I've been a DTV subscriber for 12 years and have never bought a PPV movie. I don't intend to ever buy a PPV movie. It's a waste of a tuner to even attempt to download a PPV movie. I will cancel it every time I see it, even it's not really interfering with what I'm doing.

#45 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

They didn't write the software, they can't fix it.

You can bet that if there were a problem with PPV billing in anyone but DIRECTV's favor, it would be fixed within days.

Because DIRECTV is on the hook to market these units and meet certain minimum subscription numbers (or pay cash to make up the difference), it is surely in their best interests to advocate for fixes (unless their goal is to sour people on TiVo once and for all).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#46 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

You can bet that if there were a problem with PPV billing in anyone but DIRECTV's favor, it would be fixed within days.

Because DIRECTV is on the hook to market these units and meet certain minimum subscription numbers (or pay cash to make up the difference), it is surely in their best interests to advocate for fixes (unless their goal is to sour people on TiVo once and for all).

Or they would just disable the system from letting it happen on those receivers which wouldn't require a software update to the receiver. However it's nice to know that you also are aware of the contractual obligations of the marketing and sales rate side of the contract between DIRECTV and TiVo.

Considering that if DIRECTV had to meet a specific number of units in the field they could easily just ship them for free to customers and I'm sure it would make up any fees they would have to pay. They haven't so clearly they're either selling at an acceptable rate to TiVo or you're just blowing smoke. I'll say it's the latter.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Considering that if DIRECTV had to meet a specific number of units in the field they could easily just ship them for free to customers and I'm sure it would make up any fees they would have to pay. They haven't so clearly they're either selling at an acceptable rate to TiVo or you're just blowing smoke. I'll say it's the latter.

You're assuming that they could give the THR22s away. Several (including some formerly pious TiVotees) have emphatically stated that they wouldn't accept such an offer.

The renewed 24 month commitment, the extra $5/month and the functionality that the TiVos do NOT share with the HR2x is a pretty significant hurdle to widespread acceptance.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#48 OFFLINE   skylonder

skylonder

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I'm with BAMCAT and others who feel that this enhanced content downloading is outrageous.

I ordered and pay for Tivo service that has two channels *always* recording. I like to watch two channels at once, switching between them at commercial breaks. I set up my tuners for the two channels I want to watch and then I find that DTV has taken over the channel I was not watching at the time and taken away the program that I was watching. And this happens so frequently in prime time!

As far as I am concerned, DTV is depriving me of the service that I pay for and expect. I would be in favor of a class action suit.
  • StL_Don likes this

#49 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

As far as I am concerned, DTV is depriving me of the service that I pay for and expect. I would be in favor of a class action suit.

Right. Let us know how that works out for you.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#50 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'm with BAMCAT and others who feel that this enhanced content downloading is outrageous.

I ordered and pay for Tivo service that has two channels *always* recording. I like to watch two channels at once, switching between them at commercial breaks. I set up my tuners for the two channels I want to watch and then I find that DTV has taken over the channel I was not watching at the time and taken away the program that I was watching. And this happens so frequently in prime time!

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

#51 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

No Directv Tivo receiver has always had two channels recording 24/7 content for whatever channel you set. I know you might think so, but nope, never has happened.

They have always downloaded enhanced content on one of the tuners at some point, usually at around 2am.

If they aren't doing it at that time for you right now, then likely tivo screwed up and its trying to grab the content at the wrong times of day.

But good luck with your lawsuit against tivo, since they are the ones that are actually doing all the coding of these boxes and obviously cant get it to work right.

#52 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

IF D* only did the download at 0200 like after they complete the download of the schedule update, that would be fine. But that G.D. Enhanced content interruption to my use of the DVR occurs at any time day and night, and in prime time.
I could be switching between tuners, checking on what else is going on, then all of the sudden that dam Enhanced content grabs the tuner.
It wouldn't be so bad if when the download is complete, it would put the tuner back on the channel that it found it on, but it doesn't It mirrors the other tuner.
D* doesn't care about supporting the THR22, nor do they care about the customers that are using it. If they did, they would have fixed the known problems with an update by now.
Every other DVR that D* has had out has had a software update well within a year of the initial release of the unit, but here we are more than a year out, and not a hint of an upcoming update.
Too bad that the THR22 is an unwanted stepchild of D*.

#53 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Directv doesn't write or service the firmware. I don't understand why that isn't sinking in.

#54 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Don't understand why people don't understand that D* controls the purse strings and has the say so on weather anymore updates or upgrades are done to the THR22.

#55 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Don't understand why people don't understand that D* controls the purse strings and has the say so on weather anymore updates or upgrades are done to the THR22.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that at all. DIRECTV paid a fee for them to have service for a given amount of time and for TiVo to keep their boxes software working right. You might have an argument if you we're talking about adding new features, but that's not the issue here. Fixing a problem is not something DIRECTV would need to pay more for or give the ok for them to do, no one would sign a contract like that. If anything the contract would force TiVo to fix the issue.

#56 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

DirecTV owns the problem, whether or not they write the firmware. TiVo is just a subcontractor to DirecTV here.

Steve

My Setup

#57 OFFLINE   Wezel

Wezel

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I guess I just don't understand why DirecTV, on the one hand, markets the THR22 with glowing, enthusiastic advertising, but, with the the other hand seems to say to those of us customers who use it, "F*** You, you should be using one of our other receivers".

#58 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

If you purchase a TIVO from BestBuy, is it your cable company's responsibility when your tivo craps out? Is it their responsibility when TIVO writes crappy software that doesn't work right?
What's the difference here? That the box that TIVO designed is BASED on an IRD that Directv designed years ago?

#59 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

The entire device was a miserable failure by TiVo. Anyone who followed its progress knew that. DirecTV was waiting for them to produce the thing for a long time and everyone expected something better than what was delivered. TiVo screwed the pooch both with their hardware and software choices for this DVR.
DTV = Digital Television

#60 OFFLINE   CaptBobH

CaptBobH

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

The entire device was a miserable failure by TiVo. Anyone who followed its progress knew that. DirecTV was waiting for them to produce the thing for a long time and everyone expected something better than what was delivered. TiVo screwed the pooch both with their hardware and software choices for this DVR.

From everything I have read, the box itself is a D* box with TiVo software....so how can TiVo be blamed for the hardware ? ? ?

spam firewall