Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Enhanced Content???

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

From everything I have read, the box itself is a D* box with TiVo software....so how can TiVo be blamed for the hardware ? ? ?

...look at which receiver they chose to use.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

DirecTV owns the problem, whether or not they write the firmware. TiVo is just a subcontractor to DirecTV here.

Ah, no. TiVo wanted a deal with DIRECTV to be able to sell their service to DIRECTV customers. DIRECTV has to market it, and TiVo was fully responsible for all the firmware and making it work.

Claiming TiVo is simply a sub contract is a falsely, since they are the ones that are responsible for making the machine work, and its their name brand on the sticker not he box, I don't care who engineered the actual hardware years ago.

#63 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

There's nothing wrong with the hardware. It was the current platform at the time TiVo started work on the port. That it took them so much longer than initially promised is most likely no one's fault but TiVo's. The hardware supports all of the features of the HR2x series DVRs - I have an HR21 which is the identical hardware (except for disk drive size.)

It is a DirecTV box with TiVo software. You lease it from DirecTV. DirecTV owns the customer relationship. We as users have no direct relationship with TiVo.

Steve

My Setup

#64 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

There's nothing wrong with the hardware. It was the current platform at the time TiVo started work on the port. That it took them so much longer than initially promised is most likely no one's fault but TiVo's. The hardware supports all of the features of the HR2x series DVRs - I have an HR21 which is the identical hardware (except for disk drive size.)

It is a DirecTV box with TiVo software. You lease it from DirecTV. DirecTV owns the customer relationship. We as users have no direct relationship with TiVo.

So you don't see the TiVo logo on it? You don't pay an additional fee to TiVo every month as a specific line item for the usage of the TiVo driven firmware DVR? Come on, this is a TiVo box and they make sure you know it, so saying its all DIRECTV is spinning it to not blame tivo for their shortcomings. Heck,I doubt TiVo would even let DIRECTV touch the software in the box, I doubt they have the rights to that in the first place. You are specifically paying TiVo for the right to use a TiVo box with DIRECTV built in. Yet you think its all dtvs fault. That doesn't follow.

#65 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I don't pay any fee to TiVo. My payment goes to DirecTV. I know they pass on some of that to TiVo, but that's a matter between those two companies.

I am well aware that TiVo created the software and required that their logo go on the box. But I am not TiVo's customer. DirecTV has complete responsibility to YOU, the subscriber, for the box. TiVo has zero responsibility to you.

Steve

My Setup

#66 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I don't pay any fee to TiVo. My payment goes to DirecTV. I know they pass on some of that to TiVo, but that's a matter between those two companies.

I am well aware that TiVo created the software and required that their logo go on the box. But I am not TiVo's customer. DirecTV has complete responsibility to YOU, the subscriber, for the box. TiVo has zero responsibility to you.

False. This is TiVo's blunder. You don't appear to understand the relationship between the two companies in regards to this device.
DTV = Digital Television

#67 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

DirecTV owns the problem, whether or not they write the firmware. TiVo is just a subcontractor to DirecTV here.

IIRC, from the redacted contract, DIRECTV is responsible for hardware selection, programming APIs for said hardware and DIRECTV in general, promotion and sales services. TiVo is responsible for the rest.

To assume that TiVo was somehow going to be a "way out" of the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR mire was not a reasonable assumption to make in view of the HR10 situation as well as DIRECTV's own travails with the well established (and decidedly mediocre) hardware platform.

That the TiVotees had to go to great lengths and notable sacrifice to choose the platform in the first place is not DIRECTV's doing.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#68 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

Do we really need to repeat this debate yet again?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#69 OFFLINE   Wezel

Wezel

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Do we really need to repeat this debate yet again?

Yes, damn it! As customers we deserve better!
"It wasn't lies...it was just bull***t", Elwood Blues, 1980

#70 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Yes, damn it! As customers we deserve better!

That ship has long sailed :rolleyes:
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#71 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

False. This is TiVo's blunder. You don't appear to understand the relationship between the two companies in regards to this device.

I understand the relationship quite well, thank you. You apparently do not. Yes, TiVo screwed up in many ways. But we, the subscribers, don't have a relationship with TiVo to channel our concerns. We have to deal with DirecTV.

Steve

My Setup

#72 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

I understand the relationship quite well, thank you. You apparently do not. Yes, TiVo screwed up in many ways. But we, the subscribers, don't have a relationship with TiVo to channel our concerns. We have to deal with DirecTV.

They didn't produce the TiVo DVR.
DTV = Digital Television

#73 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Really? You don't pay any extra. For the TiVo DVR on your account? I thought it was an extra $5 a month. When did this change?

Either way your still wrong. Sure you tell DIRECTV of the problem, but they pass it to TiVo to fix, and its up to TiVo to fix. Its tivos responsibility. Not dtvs. DIRECTV can't force TiVo to work faster, my goodness did everyone not see how long it took TiVo to get this thing out in the first place? Their history for all their other products delivery is they take forever to deliver anything, and half the time they deliver it poorly.

If you want a better DVR, get the hr44 when it come out. TiVo doesn't compare at all.

Frankly all TiVo should do is keep that current one up to date and nothing else, and if they really want in on DIRECTV business, they should ask for permission to build their software for a hr44 and rvu. Then they would have something worth getting for many people.

Still not me, I hate TiVo GUI in general, but I get why some love it. But in the end, its ability to function right is a TiVo problem. DIRECTV doesn't code the software at all.

Funny, people used to complain to Sony when they had Sony DIRECTV boxes, etc, but for some reason, if its a TiVo box, its DIRECTV s fault.

#74 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Why do you two keep misrepresenting what I wrote?

Hoosier205, DirecTV is the manufacturer of record of the THR22. You "buy" it from them. It is the "TiVo® HD DVR from DIRECTV". Yes, as I said, TiVo developed the software (but not the hardware) for the THR22 box. But they did this as a subcontractor to DirecTV. As I keep writing, you, the THR22 user, have no business relationship with TiVo.

inkahauts, I said I don't pay any money to TiVo. I don't. I pay $5/mo to DirecTV for the "privilege" of using a THR22. You also misunderstand the nature of the customer relationship. Yes, if anyone is to fix the many bugs in the THR22 software it would be TiVo - as a subcontractor to DirecTV. Is this so hard to understand?

We don't know what TiVo's current contractual responsibility is for the THR22. It may be that once they delivered something that passed DirecTV's tests, they were "done", and anything else would require either a new contract or additional payments. Whatever it is, that there have been NO software updates in a year tells me that DirecTV isn't interested in resolving THR22 issues.

For the last time (and I am now done with this thread), THR22 users are not TiVo customers - they are DirecTV customers. As for comparing the THR22 with the HRxx series, I will be the first to admit that the HRxx series has many areas of superiority. I have an HR21-700 and like it a lot. So why did I get a THR22? Because my wife cared more about the TiVo UI than anything else. She would have stuck with the HR10 in SD otherwise rather than use the HR21 (though nowadays she does use it, griping all the time.) I will probably upgrade the HR21 to an HR44 when I can. If I can convince my wife to ditch the THR22, I'll do so happily. But for now, it does what she wants (mostly) and that's good enough.

Steve

My Setup

#75 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Why do you two keep misrepresenting what I wrote?

Hoosier205, DirecTV is the manufacturer of record of the THR22. You "buy" it from them. It is the "TiVo® HD DVR from DIRECTV". Yes, as I said, TiVo developed the software (but not the hardware) for the THR22 box. But they did this as a subcontractor to DirecTV. As I keep writing, you, the THR22 user, have no business relationship with TiVo.

inkahauts, I said I don't pay any money to TiVo. I don't. I pay $5/mo to DirecTV for the "privilege" of using a THR22. You also misunderstand the nature of the customer relationship. Yes, if anyone is to fix the many bugs in the THR22 software it would be TiVo - as a subcontractor to DirecTV. Is this so hard to understand?

We don't know what TiVo's current contractual responsibility is for the THR22. It may be that once they delivered something that passed DirecTV's tests, they were "done", and anything else would require either a new contract or additional payments. Whatever it is, that there have been NO software updates in a year tells me that DirecTV isn't interested in resolving THR22 issues.

For the last time (and I am now done with this thread), THR22 users are not TiVo customers - they are DirecTV customers. As for comparing the THR22 with the HRxx series, I will be the first to admit that the HRxx series has many areas of superiority. I have an HR21-700 and like it a lot. So why did I get a THR22? Because my wife cared more about the TiVo UI than anything else. She would have stuck with the HR10 in SD otherwise rather than use the HR21 (though nowadays she does use it, griping all the time.) I will probably upgrade the HR21 to an HR44 when I can. If I can convince my wife to ditch the THR22, I'll do so happily. But for now, it does what she wants (mostly) and that's good enough.

Ok, one simple question. If someone bundles their AT&T bill with their DIRECTV bill, and it all comes from AT&T, should they complain to AT&T about DIRECTV service and expect them to fix it?

For the life of me I can't imagine why your wife has trouble using a hr, other than she's probably always hitting the wrong buttons because she going back and forth between the two. Get an hr44 as soon as realistically possible and dump the rest. Then you will be happy.

#76 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

There really isn't any point. Nothing changes the fact that the issue is with TiVo, not DirecTV.
DTV = Digital Television

#77 OFFLINE   skylonder

skylonder

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

No Directv Tivo receiver has always had two channels recording 24/7 content for whatever channel you set. I know you might think so, but nope, never has happened.

They have always downloaded enhanced content on one of the tuners at some point, usually at around 2am.

If they aren't doing it at that time for you right now, then likely tivo screwed up and its trying to grab the content at the wrong times of day.

But good luck with your lawsuit against tivo, since they are the ones that are actually doing all the coding of these boxes and obviously cant get it to work right.

I had a SD Tivo with Directv for many years before getting the THR-22 and I never ever saw one of my tuners taken over by "enhanced content".

Maybe that's because they were doing it at 2:00 AM instead of right in the middle of prime time.

So who is responsible for taking away my receiver's functionality that I pay to receive? It must be Directv. That's who I would sue if I could. It's not "Tivo enhanced content" that is the culprit.

What can be done to get them to stop doing that?

#78 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I had a SD Tivo with Directv for many years before getting the THR-22 and I never ever saw one of my tuners taken over by "enhanced content".

Maybe that's because they were doing it at 2:00 AM instead of right in the middle of prime time.

So who is responsible for taking away my receiver's functionality that I pay to receive? It must be Directv. That's who I would sue if I could. It's not "Tivo enhanced content" that is the culprit.

What can be done to get them to stop doing that?

TiVo does that even with their stand alone products. And DIRECTV does it with theirs to, but in the middle of the night. And you are correct, they all, including tivo, used to do it at 2am, when it should be done. So evidently its TiVo that can't get it to work right time wise. Don't know why you think DIRECTV is at fault if the only receiver that can't figure out how to time collecting enhanced data when you are not using the receiver is the one who's software was developed by TiVo, that DIRECTV can not alter.

#79 OFFLINE   skylonder

skylonder

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

TiVo does that even with their stand alone products. And DIRECTV does it with theirs to, but in the middle of the night. And you are correct, they all, including tivo, used to do it at 2am, when it should be done. So evidently its TiVo that can't get it to work right time wise. Don't know why you think DIRECTV is at fault if the only receiver that can't figure out how to time collecting enhanced data when you are not using the receiver is the one who's software was developed by TiVo, that DIRECTV can not alter.

I've seen all the opinions about who is responsible when a Tivo malfunctions. Tivo may have developed the software, but DTV provides the service and collects the money from me. I ordered a DVR that records two channels *all the time*. That's not what I am getting. If I'm not getting what I paid for, I should be able to withhold payment until I do. If DTV is not getting from Tivo what it paid for, DTV should withhold payment from Tivo until Tivo fixes the problems. I don't believe that Tivo "can't figure out how" to fix it. These are just bugs that can be fixed if DTV wants to make it happen.

#80 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I've seen all the opinions about who is responsible when a Tivo malfunctions. Tivo may have developed the software, but DTV provides the service and collects the money from me. I ordered a DVR that records two channels *all the time*. That's not what I am getting. If I'm not getting what I paid for, I should be able to withhold payment until I do. If DTV is not getting from Tivo what it paid for, DTV should withhold payment from Tivo until Tivo fixes the problems. I don't believe that Tivo "can't figure out how" to fix it. These are just bugs that can be fixed if DTV wants to make it happen.

There seems to be a difference between how you want the scenario to work and how it actually works between DirecTV and TiVo. You can try withholding payment, but I doubt that will work in your favor.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall