Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Enhanced Content???

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,371 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

.... If I'm not getting what I paid for, I should be able to withhold payment until I do. .....

Let us know how that works out for you.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I've seen all the opinions about who is responsible when a Tivo malfunctions. Tivo may have developed the software, but DTV provides the service and collects the money from me. I ordered a DVR that records two channels *all the time*. That's not what I am getting. If I'm not getting what I paid for, I should be able to withhold payment until I do. If DTV is not getting from Tivo what it paid for, DTV should withhold payment from Tivo until Tivo fixes the problems. I don't believe that Tivo "can't figure out how" to fix it. These are just bugs that can be fixed if DTV wants to make it happen.

Why do you think DIRECTV can fix this? I mean give us a real technical reason please. They have zero ability to code the TiVo DVR or write any updates for it, so I juts don't see how you could think they can change it.

And by the way, again, that's like saying if you bundle your service of DIRECTV through AT&T, you should beagle to withhold your payment to AT&T till they fix something with your DIRECTV service. Not how it works.

#83 OFFLINE   StL_Don

StL_Don

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

There really isn't any point. Nothing changes the fact that the issue is with TiVo, not DirecTV.

I disagree. TIVO had no dog in the enhanced content hunt. If they put the EC code there it is because D* told them to do it making it D*'s problem.

Don

#84 OFFLINE   technojunkie

technojunkie

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have noticed the same issue with "Enhanced Services" being downloaded at 7:00 AM. I believe I may have cancelled it enough times to teach the TiVo to stop trying to do that at 7:00 AM. There is a solution, and that is to set the TiVo to record the show you are looking for with a season pass. I elected to wait through the process and kept pressing "select" and cancelling the recording. In the past few days I have noticed it is recording "Suggested" content instead.

On to the bigger question. What is the latest version of software? I am not certain mine is running properly as I never seem to have more than 50% of my storage capacity being used. No other annoying issues.

FWIW I have noticed more advertising for the THR22 of late which I find interesting. In fact I received a DTV email this morning pushing it. Funny that it has taken a year for DTV to start advertising the product. Seems to me there maybe too many in the warehouse.

#85 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 831 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

DirecTV has been advertising the new TiVo on and off for a year. Must be part of the contract.

As for latest version of the software, there have been no updates since national release a year ago.

Steve

My Setup

#86 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I disagree. TIVO had no dog in the enhanced content hunt. If they put the EC code there it is because D* told them to do it making it D*'s problem.

Don

That's completely false. Every TiVo ever made has had pushed enhanced content to it. Period. Its just a different delivery system and different content with DIRECTV vs some of the others, but its always been there, even since their first stand alone unit.

#87 OFFLINE   StL_Don

StL_Don

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

The last three days "enhanced content" has been out of control.  Practically non-stop.  More than once it has grabbed the active channel away from me if I'm not quick enough to tell it no.  And if I do cancel it just comes back in a half hour or so and does it again.  

For all those blaming Tivo I'm calling BS.  DTV is pushing this content, not Tivo.  

For those saying this has always been going on... it NEVER happened with my SD Tivo.

Don

• Wezel likes this

#88 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

The last three days "enhanced content" has been out of control. Practically non-stop. More than once it has grabbed the active channel away from me if I'm not quick enough to tell it no. And if I do cancel it just comes back in a half hour or so and does it again.

For all those blaming Tivo I'm calling BS. DTV is pushing this content, not Tivo.

For those saying this has always been going on... it NEVER happened with my SD Tivo.

Don

Well my hr10 always got pushed content. I'm not saying something isn't broke as TiVo shouldn't be grabbing it while you are watching tv but TiVo has always grabbed junk. Shoot my hr10 used to have showcases of new cars and crap on it. TiVo needs to fix when it chosen to pull. What happens I you leave I alone and just let it pull the data? Maybe ten it would stop trying to.

And by the way the reason you never saw it in your old units is it pulled it when it was supposed to which is when you aren't using the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#89 OFFLINE   Wezel

Wezel

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Just saying again that I hate it, hate it, hate it!
"It wasn't lies...it was just bull***t", Elwood Blues, 1980

#90 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Just saying again that I hate it, hate it, hate it!

I don't care as long as it doesn't interfere, but since its interfering with the tivos right now, its sucks. TiVo needs to update their dang software already.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#91 OFFLINE   Wezel

Wezel

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

I don't care as long as it doesn't interfere...

...and it interferes big time!

image.jpg

#92 OFFLINE   DogmanK9

DogmanK9

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Just spent the day watching football and fighting "Enhanced Content?" downloads. After reading all of the posts, one thing hasn't been mentioned. There are two different downloads that happen. 1."TiVo Service data" which does happen at 2-3AM and does return the tuner to its previous channel. 2. "Enhanced Content" (EC) which happens whenever it wants and whether you are watching the tuner or not.

Blaming TiVo doesn't work for me as there is no guaranteed positive outcome for them unless you believe they are trying to drive customers to the D* DVR. Note: We have both a TiVo and a D* DVR. With the exception of EC, the TiVo unit is the superior unit. IMHO, I believe that this is working exactly as D* nts it to work. I could be wrong but they have tried to get me to switch the TiVo to their product. When I said no and asked if they would prefer if I canceled my service, they said I was welcome to do that but I still would have to pay for the whole term of the contract. Another annoying issue is the snails pace of the software in locating programs under the "Find Programs" function. My old TiVo provided options letter by letter. The TH22 doesn't catch up until stop typing after one or two words. Despite multiple phone calls and emails over the past many months, they have done nothing to address/fix the issues.

As far as not holding D* responsible and saying this is a TiVo problem. IMHO D* is the direct provider of hardware and service to the customer and are therefore responsible to customer for the total product. I based this on over 25+ years of International customer service and our customers would have thrown us out if we had suggested to them that it wasn't our problem because a 3rd party was providing the problem part/software.

#93 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

DIRECTV DVRs get enhanced stuff all the time and they don't have the issue of pulling it during the day so its not because dtv doesn't know how to setup pushed content to DVRs.

TiVo used an older hardware so that may be part of the reason it's slow. The other part is directv guide data is so much more complicated now an who knows what all TiVo did with it. It's not going to be the same as a stand alone TiVo.

And yeah I agree dtv should pressure the heck out of TiVo but in the end dtv can not fix the issue. It's got to be solved by TiVo. They are the ones who coded it all and are responsible for it.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#94 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

Over the last week or so, The hijacking of one of my TiVo's tuners for Enhanced content downloads has really been bad.

At all times of the day, it was grabbing a tuner.

It really interferes with the way I use my TiVo. 

I was watching on one tuner while recording on the other and all of a sudden Enhanced content grabbed the tuner that I was watching! Dam that is so irritating.

DIRECTV....ENOUGH ALLREADY!!

PUT AN OPTION IN THE SETUP MENU SO WE CAN OPT OUT OF THIS AS THIS REALLY INTERFERES WITH THE WAY I USE THE TiVo!

DIRECTV, If nothing else, Please Please have Enhanced Content do its down load after the DVR update is done at 2AM and not all through the day.

Also have TiVo people write a new software routine or correct the TiVo firmware so the when the Enhanced content down load is done, it restores the channel that the tuner was on before it grabbed it. Than would help a lot.

I wish that I was one of the hacker gurus that had the talent to go through and read code like reading a book.

I would go in and block channel 9981 and delete the partition where the enhanced content is stored!

Edited by BAMCAT, 12 September 2013 - 08:55 AM.

• Wezel likes this

#95 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,726 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hit Record on the live show to block it out, assuming the other tuner is also recording. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#96 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

I compare Enhanced content interruptions of my use of the TiVo  the same as denial of service attacks on servers in the internet.

Must be something that can be done about it.

• Wezel likes this

#97 OFFLINE   Wezel

Wezel

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

I compare Enhanced content interruptions of my use of the TiVo  the same as denial of service attacks on servers in the internet.
Must be something that can be done about it.

I agree.

Somebody please send me some serious help. I've actually entertained the idea of switching to cable and buying the really good TiVo's. I assume the "Enhanced Content" problem is only with DTV.

#98 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Why don't you guys record everything you watch? Won't that solve the issue as a workaround till TiVo gets off their butts and puts out an update? Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#99 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,726 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

I agree.

Somebody please send me some serious help. I've actually entertained the idea of switching to cable and buying the really good TiVo's. I assume the "Enhanced Content" problem is only with DTV.

Sorry, we cannot send trained psychiatrists, nor even psychologists, to those entertaining such dark thoughts as you described.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#100 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 831 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Regular TiVos have been doing this for years. The usual response is the same - if you're watching something live you don't want to be interrupted, press Record.

Steve

My Setup

spam firewall