Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Enhanced Content???

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

Why don't you guys record everything you watch? Won't that solve the issue as a workaround till TiVo gets off their butts and puts out an update?Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Their won't likely be another update for the THR22 , and DirecTV is the one who authorizes TiVo to do the work if another update is justified enough. DirectTV has always been in charge of the set list. DirecTV will not waste and pay TiVo unnecessary expenses to do a fix on one item, because alpha and beta testers have to test it, which costs time and money. Heck, DirecTV will not fix the power light on the AM21's connected to the HR34 receivers.

The SD DirecTiVo's and the HR10 did not have Enhanced Content like today's IRD's since current HR22's and other HR2x's have hard drives that are partitioned for on demand content, both from ch's 9981 and 1100. Pre-THR22's had TiVo Service Data downloaded at 2am, then Showcases which usually downloaded between 3 and 5am, like you see on current channel 574. Never did my programs get cut-off like today's scenarios..

Why did TiVo use the "old" HR22 hardware? That's what DirecTV gave them to use at the time of the announcement of the proposed Broadband TiVo! Luckily for me the THR22's run faster than the HR22's!

The enhanced content has been an issue for a long time but did not get fixed for a reason, and TiVo was very aware

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
  • shkhzrd1_0 likes this

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#102 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

D*, enough all ready!!

That dam tuner grabbing enhanced content has been really annoying for the last few days.

Every time I change tuners, there it is. It even grabbed the tuner that I was watching as the other tuner was recording.

Why Didn't they provide a method for opting out of this. It denies me the full use of my THR22, I should get a rebate from then for the great inconvenience and annoyance it causes me.

D* please provide a menu allowing us the option to not receive this!

• StL_Don likes this

#103 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,870 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'd suggest you read or re-read this thread you posted into over two years ago: Others have gotten around the issue. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#104 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,757 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

D*, enough all ready!!

That dam tuner grabbing enhanced content has been really annoying for the last few days.

Every time I change tuners, there it is. It even grabbed the tuner that I was watching as the other tuner was recording.

Why Didn't they provide a method for opting out of this. It denies me the full use of my THR22, I should get a rebate from then for the great inconvenience and annoyance it causes me.

D* please provide a menu allowing us the option to not receive this!

press the RECORD button.  done!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#105 OFFLINE   Dbozz

Dbozz

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:35 PM

I tried posting this on the Direct TV Technical Forum re Enhanced TIVO Content, but the moderators won’t allow it to appear. So much for freedom of speech.

I have periodically followed discussions on various forums about Enhanced TIVO Content changing the tuner on the secondary channel to download new material. Nothing mentioned has ever worked to stop this happening to me during prime time viewing, which is infuriating. NO, I do not want to have to put one channel on 'record', thank you.  I flip around often and don't want to have to go through the steps required to stop a recording and then get back to watching something. 

Downloading Enhanced TIVO Content during prime time seems to have gotten worse these past few months. As others have mentioned, I often watch 2 channels at the same time, freezing one in order to later bypass commercials. If it remains frozen well past the end of the commercial and TIVO Content overrides what I was watching, I lose much, if not all of the program I had on hold. Not fair, I say.  I'm paying Direct TV for 2 tuners and don't want to give up one for them to hijack whenever my back is turned. Nor do I want to have to play watchdog!

Recently, my umpteenth phone call to a supervisor at DTV got me access to the office of the president (actually Ed Balcerzak, VP of Customer Care), to whom I emailed my complaint. I received a call back from someone named Tammy from their office, who told me there was nothing that could be done about it because the “system is designed that way”. (Huh? Of course it’s designed that way. That’s what I’m calling you about!)

Clearly Tammy has no place in the ‘Customer Care’ department. She does, however, have a place in the sales department because when I suggested they redesign their system only to download during off hours, she was dumbstruck for an answer but immediately started selling me an upgrade to their Genie DVR with more tuners which, (surprise!) incurs a monthly fee and a new 2 year contract. What a clever way for them to tie me up for two more years at a higher price. I declined.

Apparently they intend to do nothing about alleviating this annoyance for their customers who are plagued with it.  Customer care, indeed. They want to ‘sell’ upgrades to their Genie.

I think if enough people with this problem begin to email this the VP of Customer Care about it, they might rethink what they’re doing.  Here are the steps the supervisor gave me to get to Ed  Balcerzak:

>www.directtv.com

>Investor Relations (all the way down, 2nd line from the bottom)

>Corporate Governance

>Elected Officers

>Executive Customer Care Contact (in orange)

>>link to Ed Balcerzak

I’d really like to hear what response others who have this problem get if you email Ed a complaint.  I think if enough of us do it, it might get them to offer some real customer care.

#106 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:45 PM

First off I believe the fee for the TiVo and genie come out the same. Buy an owned one and theres no two year commitment either.

It puzzles me why they do that as well but I have a feeling it's a 24/7 kind of thing.

And I think TiVo and DIRECTV don't want to spend any money on this since they fee it works now anyway. I doubt many are paying the extra TiVo fee for it. Especially with the genie available.

honestly I fail to see how recording the one show you keep in the background while you are channel flipping is an issue. Can't you still use the down arrow or even prev to flip between the tuner that's recording and the live tuner?

Of course I record everything I watch period so I never rely on a buffer that can be dumped by a cat walking over a remote.

And IMHO getting a genie is a solid solution to something designed ten years ago.

Have you tried complaint to TiVo about the issue? Maybe hounding their customer service will help?

#107 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,283 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

There might be a difference, can you have lifetime service on the THR or does that only cover the TIVO fee and not the receiver and DVR fee?

I agree with Inky, I'd go with a Genie over a THR. It may be different if it wasa Roamio. I don't think either company really cares much about the THR.

And it's really beside the point, but free speech doesn't apply.

#108 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:37 AM

My two bits:

People chose (and pay considerably more for) TiVos so they didn't have to spend time picking and choosing programming to record. If you're going to use it like a VCR, there is little point in paying extra for the automated services.

I agree that the extra stuff is a major hindrance but I suspect that it would be much less of a hindrance if the box were allowed to do its thing rather than being micromanaged.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#109 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

How do you figure a TiVo makes it so you don't have to chose what you want to record over any other DVR?

#110 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:40 PM

The general advice that applies to any TiVo, and for that matter, any DVR, is that if you're watching a live program and don't want to be interrupted, take half a second and press Record. This is not restricted to the THR22 - I see similar complaints all the time in the TiVo Community forum and the answer is the same.

Complaining to DirecTV is a waste of effort - the THR22 was abandoned at birth and nothing is going to change.

Steve

My Setup

#111 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:49 AM

How do you figure a TiVo makes it so you don't have to chose what you want to record over any other DVR?

Suggestions. At least that was the theory.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#112 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:33 PM

Well then he should be happy to know DIRECTV genies have genie recommends which is every bit the same thing.

#113 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

Well then he should be happy to know DIRECTV genies have genie recommends which is every bit the same thing.

Does Genie Recommends work and in a way that might make a TiVotee happy?

#114 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

While it isn't too bad, it isn't anywhere near as good as Tivo Suggestions imo.
  • damondlt likes this

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#115 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

While it isn't too bad, it isn't anywhere near as good as Tivo Suggestions imo.

I disagree. I have actually found genie recommends did a better job than TiVo ever did. Granted I'm not a fan in general but it did better. But it Definitely could piece together shows I'd like better.

#116 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

I disagree. I have actually found genie recommends did a better job than TiVo ever did. Granted I'm not a fan in general but it did better. But it Definitely could piece together shows I'd like better.

We can agree to disagree, I won't mind! :)

For me the Tivo does much better but I use the 'thumbs' a lot!
  • damondlt likes this

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#117 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,148 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

Agree, I've always turned the Genie recommends off because most time it would pick , what would seem just random programs, not really pertaining to anything I acually watch.

I think the Tivo is more right on and more accurate.
But Directv is nothing more then a guess based off your recordings, Not actual human input.

But in all honesty, I really could care less if either Tivo or Directv recommend anything.
I have a Guide and search functions that's good enough for me.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#118 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

Dbozz-

I also am very aware of the issue you are having.  I went back and used my old THR22 a couple weeks ago that I gave my parents to use, and forgot how annoying the enhanced content thing was.  TiVo did do a software update earlier this year, which took the software from x01B5 to x01BA edition.  From what I understand, there were minor cert/date updates to the IRD's.

DirecTV will not do anything to fix this, and unless it is a widespread issue complained about by many users, TiVo will likely not spend anymore time on it either.

My only suggestion would be to contact TiVo at the link below, and have them direct your issue to TiVoJerry.

http://tivoproductio...CaseFromSupport

Good luck, and let us know if you hear anything.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#119 OFFLINE   Dbozz

Dbozz

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

Thanks Codespy,

I'll give your suggestion a try.  

What's just started happening now, however, is that they (whoever 'they' are) have stopped calling their downloads on my hijacked tuner 'Enhanced TIVO Content'. They don't call it anything and there is now no indication at all of what they're actually doing on that tuner, but it is, indeed, quietly recording their content without telling me what it is. Just as with ETC, if I try to change that channel, I'll get a message saying, 'This program is already being recorded" but it doesn't tell me what the program is that's being recorded! Worse, there are now no instructions on how to stop it by pressing record, etc.  In other words, if I didn't already know how to stop the enhanced content from downloading, as a new user might not, I'd just have to give up that tuner until they were finished doing what they wanted with it.  Curiouser and curiouser.

"DirecTV will not do anything to fix this, and unless it is a widespread issue complained about by many users, TiVo will likely not spend anymore time on it either."

That is precisely why my original post spelled out the exact steps to do so.

#120 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

If this unit has an EoL past 2015 I'd be impressed. Honestly if someone complained enough I bet the solution would be to a: get a HR to replace it at no cost or b: cancel without a fee (assuming it's within the original 2 years it was leased). 

#121 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:20 AM

I suspect eol is sometime in 2017 because as I recall the deal with TiVo is through then. Just sayin.... ;)

But even then if they still have new ones left to sell I suspect they'll sell them till they are gone.

Edited by inkahauts, 15 May 2015 - 03:21 AM.

#122 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

I suspect eol is sometime in 2017 because as I recall the deal with TiVo is through then. Just sayin.... ;)

But even then if they still have new ones left to sell I suspect they'll sell them till they are gone.

Pallets upon pallets of the depreciate every year and DIRECTV writes it off. Once EoL is up it's one less sku and unprofitable headache to remove.

#123 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,574 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

Pallets upon pallets of the depreciate every year and DIRECTV writes it off. Once EoL is up it's one less sku and unprofitable headache to remove.

If it's old for sure. But what if it's still new in the box? Can they take hits on it even when it's new and never used? I have no idea myself on that one.

#124 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

If it's old for sure. But what if it's still new in the box? Can they take hits on it even when it's new and never used? I have no idea myself on that one.

For consumer electronics, just sitting around means decreasing in value. Depreciation is how that is accounted for.
  • damondlt likes this

#125 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,870 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

Harsh is right about the depreciation. Also available are write offs, kind of an accelerated depreciation. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...