Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Frustrating Lagging Guide Issues

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saucony

saucony

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

The last couple of days i've noticed a serious lagging issue when commanding a simple change of channels. Example when I turn on my DTV and try to tune to ESPN (206) I go through the following frustration; select 206 on remote and nothing, I select 206 and guide reacts to 2 and it takes about 10 seconds to tune to channel 2, I reselect 206 on remote and major lagging to acquire guide to change to channel 20 (still no ESPN) I reselect 206 and channel tunes to 2 (at this point I start chocking remote). I reselect 206 and only get 06 ( channel not available and still sitting on channel 2). By this time I'm 3 minutes in trying to tune ESPN with no luck. I finally manage to tune to ESPN by just re-selecting 206 multiple times. DTV has a lot of work to correct this issue.

#2 OFFLINE   alhurricane

alhurricane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

We are experiencing the same thing. It is maddening at times, especially since we've dealt with it for many months. Directv should be able to make this VERY basic function work properly.

#3 OFFLINE   socal404

socal404

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

Same problem here.:mad: I'm having the most problems with my R22-100s. It's driving me crazy! You would think that would be a software fix to this. Come on DTV, I'm sure you can figure this out.:rolleyes:
Sharp Aquos 46" TV
Directv HR24-200 family room w/HDMI cable
Directv R22-100 bedroom

Directv R22-100 office
Directv H25 living room w/HDMI cable
Whole Home Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:07 AM

When this happens to me, I hit info, then when the info screen comes up, type in whatever I want.

#5 OFFLINE   Rockywwf

Rockywwf

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

It's HORRIBLE!!! When will it be fixed????
------------------------------------
Directv since 2003
Sirius since 2005
Two HR24 and one H24
Pioneer KURO 5020/Sony KDE-37XS955 Plasma/Dell 23" LCD HDTVs
New XBOX 360 "slim"
Playstation3
Nintendo Wii

#6 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

I have an HR21 and a Harmony One remote. We, too, have noticed that the problem has gotten a lot worse recently. I was concerned that the problem might have been with the Harmony One. Although frustrating, it is a relief for me to hear that others are having the same problem. At least I can be assured that it is not an issue with my remote.

#7 OFFLINE   BigSey

BigSey

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'm getting the same thing on my HR-20 and my HR-21. It all started with the new GUI for me. Yeah, it looks nice but my patience is certainly being tested.

HR20-700
H20-100

#8 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

You specifically mention ESPN. Is the issue just as bad when you tune to a non-sports station?

I occasionally have the same lag problems but I only notice it on sports related channels and I chauk the issue up to the Scoreguide app loading. It usually only happens to me the first time I go to a channel with the Scoreguide. After it loads the first time I turn on my receiver, I don't notice the issue again.

#9 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have an HR21 and a Harmony One remote. We, too, have noticed that the problem has gotten a lot worse recently. I was concerned that the problem might have been with the Harmony One. Although frustrating, it is a relief for me to hear that others are having the same problem. At least I can be assured that it is not an issue with my remote.

Have you had the same issue when using the directv remote. I had a issue with my HR21-100 last year after a software update and had to adjust the Inter-Key Delay in my harmony software. (It was sending the # commands to fast to the hr21-100 and missing some numbers. ( For example channel 304 would come up 34 or 04.) after adjusting the delay problem went away. Here is a link. http://forums.logite...ats/td-p/254432

#10 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'm having the same problem the last few days. It is so slow and I almost rebooted a couple times thinking the receiver was frozen.

#11 OFFLINE   sppunk

sppunk

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

Same here. When I type in a number it takes up to 7 seconds to show up, causing it to always time out. So changing to a direct channel is now sometimes impossible.

I have a HR24-500, and got my latest software push this morning (Pandora push).

It's almost unwatchable. I get the same delay hitting guide and list. 7 full seconds sometimes.

#12 OFFLINE   ds2992

ds2992

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

I think the problem is the new hd guide. When i was in beta test on my hr23 receiver in November I found the new guide had sped it up. However it has become slower with updates.

#13 OFFLINE   richard1428

richard1428

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

it used to be like that with the older gui, the firts days the hd gui was soo fast, but i guess then it starts downloading instant ppv in background, and some crap like that, i just unplugged the ethernet cable and hopefully that would help something

#14 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

Have you had the same issue when using the directv remote. I had a issue with my HR21-100 last year after a software update and had to adjust the Inter-Key Delay in my harmony software. (It was sending the # commands to fast to the hr21-100 and missing some numbers. ( For example channel 304 would come up 34 or 04.) after adjusting the delay problem went away. Here is a link. http://forums.logite...ats/td-p/254432

Thanks for the link. The problem you describe is one of the problems we are experiencing. The other problem is that the screen remains blank for up to 10 seconds when we use the previous channel button. I have not tried the DirecTV remote, which is why I was concerned that it might be an issue with the Harmony. I will check the link out tonight to see if it makes any difference.

#15 OFFLINE   ElmoreT

ElmoreT

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Agreed that this is very frustrating. Hopefully DTV is working on a fix. My work-around in the meantime is to hit the Blue-key mini guide and then key in the channel I want. Works much faster for some reason.

#16 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

I'm getting the same thing on my HR-20 and my HR-21. It all started with the new GUI for me. Yeah, it looks nice but my patience is certainly being tested.

This happens to me more than half the time I try to change a channel by entering the numbers.

You specifically mention ESPN. Is the issue just as bad when you tune to a non-sports station?

Yes, it happens when I am not tuning to a sports station. How would it know that you are tuning to a sports station until AFTER you have netered ALL the numbers for the channel? It thinks you are entering channel 2, rather than 206, so why would it be loading the scorecard app before it knows what channel you are selecting?

Have you had the same issue when using the directv remote.

Yes, it happens with my DirecTV remote. That is the only one I use.

I think the problem is the new hd guide. When i was in beta test on my hr23 receiver in November I found the new guide had sped it up. However it has become slower with updates.

Absolutely it is the latest update. For a short while after the new GUI update, the speed was improved, but now that the Pandora update has been loaded to my HDDVRs, the slowness is as bad as it ever was, maybe the worst it has ever been!:(
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#17 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Both of my HR's 20 &21 have experienced these slowdowns to the point I was ready to kick the to the street, but in a few days the problem slowly went away and both are now fine. My HR20 has done this many times over the years and it always clears up in a day or tow. I have always, by this behavior, figured there was some type of background activity in progress and when it finished things returned to normal. This last slowdown did last a day or so longer than in the past. THe 20 has a 2TB drive and it behaved no differently than the unit with a stock drive.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#18 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,428 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Try this to speed up your receivers:
Go into Setup,
Settings,
HDTV and uncheck all but the 1080i resolution,
also
HDTV, Video and set Native to OFF

Also,
Setup,
Settings,
Display and set Scrolling to OFF.

Now press the red button to reset the receiver.

You might want to try this also.
Go to channel 1.
Once the page is operating including audio,
use the remote and press Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Green in exactly that
order.
This must be done quickly. Otherwise the yellow press will bring up a quick
options menu. That will display a message about the NVRAM being cleared in
the lower left.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#19 OFFLINE   saucony

saucony

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

I tried your suggestion and it's not working. It seems to get worse everyday. I've never seen it this BAD as a 12 year subscriber. Im seriously considering saying good bye to DTV.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,980 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

I tried your suggestion and it's not working. It seems to get worse everyday. I've never seen it this BAD as a 12 year subscriber. Im seriously considering saying good bye to DTV.

If I were you, I'd flush the Guide. To do this, make two Menu resets within 30 minutes. It can help a great deal, but YMMV. Best of luck!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall